The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Yes, Dev did that one. Sneap did the rest after that. Rising was Century Media’s highest selling album until Laconia Coil in 2004.

Natvecal. likes this.
  2. keifspoon

keifspoon Forum Resident

Going way back to the dawn of all things heavy, Jeronimo hailed from Germany and this s/t second album released in 1971 is their most progressive and hard rock studio album.

3. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

A path to the future can always be found in the past. On another thread, a poster said that popular music has moved beyond the guitar; that it has been replaced by the computer. Trill bringing him up got me listening to Jeff Beck over the last week or so. His electronica albums show how guitar can fit into today's over-produced, over-processed music.

Natvecal. and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

A friend of mine just gave me a vinyl copy of Conception's 1993 album Parallel Minds. It really roars through my speakers.

[​IMG]

Sanguinus likes this.
  5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

New music from Ihsahn.

100423 likes this.
  6. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Bearer of the Red Robes

Some awesome progressive metal from 2000.

7. yasujiro

yasujiro Forum Resident

8. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Why that which rocks hard, free and oft with the glint of steel i'th'sunlight deserves primacy amongst all cultural tropes.

Perfection.

Curveboy likes this.
  9. Trillmeister

More bliss from the same record.

10. Sanguinus

This thing rules from start to finish.

weekendtoy and Doggiedogma like this.
  11. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates The Demon Of Screamin'

A new band bought to my attention - I'm really liking this a lot...

12. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

13. Trillmeister

Jimmy, I bagged the new Magnum album you ref'd a while back and whilst they (will) receive short shrift in these parts due to an easily misattributed penchant for soft rocky type cliches (which certainly did afflict them from the mid 80s until their early 2000s reformation) I'm really deriving a sustained kick from their sumptuous melodies, stirring time changes and compression-free production; Tony Clarkin is creatively prodigious and yet again, like quite a few 'old timer' bands, the quality of modern releases is wonderfully consistent with technical chops that far from diminishing, reflect profound mastery.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  14. dmiller458

Lost On the Road To Eternity is a professional album from a professional band. But it's so over-produced.

15. Trillmeister

DM, whaddya mean by over produced? I sometimes come across the term applied to 80s material, often supplemented by phrases like "big, glossy."

It may have once referred to 'Priest's Turbo which is a typically thin, sythny mess of sheening sin, so characteristic of that period (and an album no amount of revisionism will convince me is, largely due to the said, productive execution, anything other than utterly dire.)

Doggiedogma likes this.
  16. dmiller458

I mean there's so much studio polish on the songs that it dilutes any power they might otherwise have.

17. Trillmeister

Not buying that but there we go.

18. dmiller458

I'm not trying to tell you your opinion. Are you telling me that's not what I meant?

19. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Just picked up Riot's Narita and Fire Down Under at a record festival over the weekend.

Natvecal., 100423 and Deuce66 like this.
  20. Trillmeister

Not at all.

21. moops

moops Forum Resident

A top 5 album for me ever since hearing it back in '97, when my mates and I were catching a week of shows from the Cherone-era VH ( VH's first ever tour of Australia, so we took what we could get ! )
    We went CD shopping one day, I took a chance on this after seeing the clip on late night telly.
    Sitting 'round, having beers and hearing this for the first time, we were like ...... Holy @#$% what is this ?!!
    Anyway, this is a hidden jewel in the Devin Townsend oeuvre, it's heavy, super-melodic, progressive and it rocks. Hard to believe he wrote this and SYL's City pretty much the same time. A talented chap.

22. Sanguinus

1997 was a pretty great year for progressive metal. Ocean Machine: Biomech, A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning, Ink Complete by Spastic Ink, City by Strapping Young Lad, The Divine Wings of Tragedy by Symphony X, Spiritech by Alchemist, Paradox by Royal Hunt, A Mended Rhyme by Tad Morose, Hopeless Hopes by Martyr, State of Mind by Elegy and several others. Arguably one of the genre's best years in virtually every subgenre.

Natvecal., Matthew Tate and moops like this.
  23. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Symphony X: The Divine Wings of Tragedy is the standout for me from this list (although I'm unfamiliar with several mentioned). Perhaps the bands crowning achievement.

24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

Great albums, you might be interested in this RIOT documentary, this is part II covering the FDU / Rhett F era.

Natvecal., Doggiedogma and Northwind like this.
  25. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

I rescued this vynil from the £1 bin at the weekend...I'd heard about them back in the day, thought they were supposed to be some kind of aspiring Priest clones, but never heard anything until now. It's quite good, but not particularly JP...trying to remember what other new UK HM bands there were around 1989, nothing memorable. Could this be the Last Great British Heavy Metal Album?

Doggiedogma likes this.