The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

As do i. If you haven't, check out Blood Ceremony, another fave of mine in the same vein.

2. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Just gave this album a listen. It was really dull. A lot of stuff that tries to fit in a depressive vein but just comes off as forced when compared to their early material with Svensson. The only interesting riffs on the whole album are most likely on Seas of Starvation. Not much else I can think of. The singles were particularly terrible with Daggers of Black Haze being the most barebones and lazy of the lot. Not to mention that the instrumentation on this is an absolute joke when compared to the likes of The Red in the Sky is Ours. Just a bland affair overall.

3. Bought the original CD back in 87'.
    Alongside Blondie's Parallel Lines its the quietest CD I have per volume. You really have to crank it.
    When you do tho...its ace.

4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The new Lamb Of God covers album has some good stuff. Big Black, Bad Brains, Quicksand, Ministry.

Stormrider77 and GodShifter like this.
  5. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Catch up concert review, saw Life Of Agony down in Brooklyn on April 19 at St Vitus. 2nd night of 2 sold out shows in a row. Really love this venue, room the size of a living room, it can't get more intimate than this place, band literally has to walk through the crowd to get both on and off the stage. Amazing metal bar/venue. Always loved this band, got introduced to them after they had already split up, post Soul Searching Sun material. Caught them on the first reunion show at Irving Plaza, one of my top gigs ever. Seen them multiple times since then but this is my first time seeing them post Keith's sexual transition to Mina. Believe this is also the fist set of gigs with the new female drummer, Veronica Bellino. Overall, the show was great pulled out some old deep tracks and played some new material as well which went over well. Was glad to see the relatively newer material in there as I had skipped the past couple show opportunities because it had felt like they were just playing River Runs Red material over and over into the ground to the detriment of the rest of the catalog. I get that will always be the signature album and receive the largest reaction but it started to turn into a nostalgia fest for a while there. Having some of the later material in there helps make them feel more relevant and the last album was a strong one IMO. Definitely worth seeing if you're a fan of the band and the new drummer adds some extra youth to them, may catch them in NYC again this September.

Setlist: Life of Agony Setlist at Saint Vitus Bar, Brooklyn

Video of the gig:

Brenald79 likes this.
  6. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]

Amazing album!

Unfortunately when I play it I think to myself - "the've reached their top here, impossible for them to do better".

Hope I'm wrong.
    Wonder what they're up to.

dmiller458, 100423 and weekendtoy like this.
  7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I can't wait to listen to Khôrada's (former mebers of Agalloch) upcoming record "Salt."

8. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

A pair of new releases that evidently had some charm school lessons included with the cummerbund purchase.

dmiller458 likes this.
  9. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

10. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Wow, this sounds terrible.

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It looks like UFO is calling it a day.

UFO Frontman PHIL MOGG To Step Down After 50th Anniversary Tour - "This Is The Right Time For Me To Quit"Phil Mogg has confirmed that next year’s 50th anniversary tour with UFO will be his last as the frontman of the long-running hard rock band. Consequently, it seems almost certain that at that point they will cease to exist. UFO were formed in London in 1968 and Mogg is...Mon, 28 May 2018 12:11:58 GMT

12. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

One of my all time favorites. Great guys and Moggy deserves to enjoy the rest of his days out of a tour bus - A stellar run indeed.

GodShifter and Deuce66 like this.
  13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Anyone listen to "Ozzy's Boneyard" or "Hair Nation" on XM?? Hair Nation is ok sometimes, but Ozzy's is usually much better.

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Jimmy Agates

New Primal Fear album soon and tour announcement for Australia :)

[​IMG]

weekendtoy likes this.
  15. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

It was a thousand times better when it was just The Boneyard.

GodShifter and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Bummer but more power to him/them. Hope they do not find it necessary to continue to slog along with a different singer and become pretty much a joke like what has happened to Nazareth.

Natvecal. and GodShifter like this.
  17. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

18. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Whilst I won't claim to have A Conspiracy Of Stars on permaloop, the notion of Mogg quitting outright is a bit of a jolt but I'd rather he'd left at least the possibility of future recording with the guys an option: I mean, why caboosh that but not something solo?

Not remotely bothered about bands touring but the recordings can still deliver me huge doses of relief v. modernity, e.g. recent 'Priest, et al.

Still, we have albums like Obsession which if played sparingly, maintain the capacity to make me feel like one of those lads contemplating the not unappealing outcome of their endeavours in Wierd Science.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Mogg has always been one of my very fav vocalist’s and frontmen; i’m saddened to hear it’s coming to a close for him, but i totally respect his decision and the fact that he know’s when it’s time, unlike say, Ian Gillan.

Jimmy Agates and Northwind like this.
  20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

new jizzy pearl is excellent . he never fails to impress

21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I did not know that! :edthumbs:. Learn somethin' new every day! :goodie:

22. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Moving to hard rock - The Last Internationale released a new single from their upcoming 2nd album. I really liked their debut album We Will Reign and heard about the band thanks to Tom Morello, who mentioned that Brad Wilk was on drums and helped that band to record their debut. Since Brad became busy in Prophets of Rage, TLI continued with a different drummer. Still I really liked how they pumped up the sound on the new single \m/

Beamish13 likes this.
  23. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

As good as Purple, Sabbath and Zeppelin for me.

Popsy and Natvecal. like this.
  24. Imperious Leader

Imperious Leader Forum Resident

25. Jimmy Agates

A great band from the very beginning....