The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

These guys still putting out some good music!

2. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Ain't that the truth :)

Weirwolfe likes this.
  3. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

4. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Was listening to some random youtube whilst at work today. Actually, it started with MikeInFla's above Saxon video. Then I just let run from there.

Anyway, a song comes on, I have no idea who it is, but it was really rocking. Turns out it was a track off Dee Snider's new album, For the Love of Metal. Wow, I really like it.

5. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Nice little toon but I ain't no fan o'these vids with the lyrics plastered along the way.

Anyway, a couple of mid-late 80s efforts from Helloween and Overkill have had me in some highly concentrated headbanging formations this week: that Walls Of Jericho CD with the Judas EP absorbed, then The Years Of Decay totally blowing me back on course for Metal's new world: both define the sort of untrammelled conviction and ridiculous intensity that melts iDiotphones from thrity paces.

Weirwolfe likes this.
  6. Trillmeister

I frickin' love this! Takes me back...

7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The amazing Paul Gilbert.

8. Rose River Bear

9. Rose River Bear

10. Trillmeister

I don't know what it's like in the US (well, I can guess) but here in olde Englandtown, 99% of TV sporting pastiches (e.g. a sequence of clips focussing on the talents of a particular footballist featuring in the upcoming World Cup touranment) use Rap type music as the natural accompaniment which of course, makes my toes curl: surely Heavy Rock and/or Metal - of this calibre - would better serve the implied drama and excitement being attributed to the fast, flowing dynamics of the sport invloved?

That kid in The Sixth Sense may have seen "dead people" all over the show but for me, Metal injustice is everywhere!

:uhhuh:

11. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

Hi.
    While delving into Deep Purple for the first time I've come across Gillan.
    Never had I heard of them. I guess they were pretty popular in Europe and maybe Asia.
    Does anyone have any good info?
    Do you like them or no?

Here's the first thing I ran into.

12. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

GILLAN | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company

Paulette likes this.
  13. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

Any enthusiasts who would like to share any kind of personal experience? Concerts or whatever. I know how to use the internet. I came here for interaction as well as information.

kyouki and Northwind like this.
  14. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Excellent album.

Yesternow likes this.
  15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ok, personal experience....you asked for it...toyota...

I had a couple of Ian's "Gillan band" albums back in the day but for the most part they did not do that much for me. Some I felt were better than others. I think I liked the ones with Bernie Torme on guitar more than the ones with his successor (& future Iron Maiden guitarist) Janick Gers but memory fades - I never bought any of those albums on CD and parted with the majority of my LP collection so I can't give them a spin again to refresh my ears.

That being said I saw him live with his own band in 2006 at World Cafe Live in Philly and it was G R E A T! A friend of mine parked himself right at the foot of the stage for that show with a video camera and Ian was very cool about that, giving him thumbs ups & smiles all night.

Ian is a terrific guy, super friendly & obliging to us fans, he came outside the club on the street after the show ended and hung out & graciously signed stuff, posed for photos, really gave of himself & his time to talk about whatever folks wanted to ask him, which in this day & age of b.s. pay for meet & greets was so refreshing.

Oh & at I think every show on that tour fans could ask to play with the band, one was selected each night to guest on Smoke on the Water IIRC. I remember the fan at the show I went to looked nervous as hell and sucked pretty bad on guitar (made me feel like even I could have done a way better job & I regretted not trying to sign up for it), but at another show that a different friend of mine filmed a fan friggin' smoked Smoke on the Water.

I also remember Gillan was barefoot on stage and had a big book with the song lyrics in it in front of the mic stand, and he may have flipped over some pages with toes (pretty funny).

And how could I forget - the show I saw, also at the show another friend saw in Alexandria Virginia, the band had a scantily clad beautiful girl come out on stage at the start of every song carrying a large card with the song title on it, like they do at some boxing matches where the girl walks around in the ring between rounds holding up a card with what round it is.

The only Gillan solo stuff I have on CD now are the releases associated with that tour - Gillan's Inn (a dual disc, one side a DVD - sound only except for maybe a little footage, the other a CD) which is a collection of his songs that Ian performs with "special" guests like Joe Satriani, Uli Jon Roth, Jeff Healey, some of the Purple guys etc, and the official live release of that tour called Live In Anaheim (CD & DVD where the DVD is a video). You might want to check that live one out for a good taster/intro to his solo stuff where Ian & the band really seemed to be enjoying themselves (I actually don't recall the specifics of that show/DVD and am remembering more what the show was that I went to, but I'd be very surprised if the DVD was a bored band just going through the motions, what I saw was the exact opposite).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am a huge Deep Purple fan btw and think he is a great singer.

16. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

I haven't done a deep dive into the Gillan albums... but what I've heard didn't do much for me. Seemed a bit too straightforward for my tastes.

I love Ian Gillan Band, however... Gillan's jazz fusion project before Gillan. Some fantastic musicians took part... Ray Fenwick, John Gustafson, Mark Nauseef!

Very interesting to hear Gillan sing over such busy jazz soundscapes.

Paulette and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

Thank you friend.

From what I've seen of Ian I think he is, if not a little full of himself, very sweet and so talented. A live show I saw he said, something like, thank you very much, why don't you all come home with us. I just got this huge smile.

His voice is amazing. I love him in Jesus Christ Superstar.

keyXVII, Trillmeister and slipkid like this.
  18. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

Oh, wow. I didn't know there was any footage from the Jesus Christ Superstar with Ian Gillan. Are there anything more than this and can you find it on dvd or anything?

keyXVII, Matthew Tate and Paulette like this.
  19. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

This is all I've found. I think you'd have better luck finding stuff if you watch or listen to a lot of JCS on You Tube.
    As far as DVD, I think we're hard pressed. He turned down being in the movie. I've read he said it wasn't enough money and he wanted for Purple to get paid because they were on tour. I think he didn't want to do it but at the same time it's cool how he felt about the band. I came across someone who said there is more footage like this where he does the whole show. But that doesn't make sense to me. But, who knows?

20. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

Thanks for the video. I like Ian Gillan Band. Maybe a bit too, what is it? Jazz fusion?
    He's extremely talented and diverse, though.

21. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I was always surprised that his solo work never crossed over to the US.

Matthew Tate and Paulette like this.
  22. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

I know. My hubby said it was too Prog for 80's America. IDK. They were def. more popular in Europe though.

23. Trillmeister

From an otherwise 'meh-ish' release, a piece which builds and gently morphs into a low level repeater, in the mode of a 'Priest driver, e.g. 'Steeler.'

slipkid and Jimmy Agates like this.
  24. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Yeah, this is among my favorite things that he has been a part of.

Northwind and Paulette like this.
  25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Can't wait for the new album with the current singer. The last one was my favorite metal release in about 500 years.

ifihadafish, Purple, Curveboy and 2 others like this.