The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Over the past few weeks, I've been listening to Magnum's discography on spotify. I'm about halfway through their SPV albums. I will comment on them in a week or so.

2. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

There's also the band's general inferiority to most '80s/early '90s thrash.

Northwind likes this.
  3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I will admit it took me a while to get into it, and when I covered it in the KISS thread, I gave it a fairly ambivalent review. In retrospect, while nowhere near the first six Sabbath albums, the Dio albums, or even Never Say Die or Born Again, it is a really good album. Just look at it as an Iommi solo album with Glenn Hughes singing (which is what it was supposed to be, and it is that). I might even put it in the deck for future reviews.

Northwind likes this.
  4. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I would usually call it pompous prose too but Trill’s writing is a big reason I’m still following this thread after 4 years. Maybe I just enjoy it so much more when the subject matter is metal.

Northwind likes this.
  5. dmiller458

He makes some very salient points even when I disagree with him (which is a lot). I just wish I didn't have to read them 3-4 times to find the point that he's making.

6. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I'll take your word on that since I'm genuinely no expert, partly due to being a contemporary denier of Thrash but some of the songs on this particular album have for a fair time been curiously infectious; Anthrax's whole aesthetic felt distant from the sort of cosy classicism that I usually called home but (a) I absolutely loved it when JB screamed his tits off and (b) some of the time changes totally reeled me in; yup it might just have been that basic...

Actually, I was also rather partial to a white sneaker and reproduction-challengingly tight set of trousers at the time so maybe there was, indeed, some kind of spiritual link going down of which I was unaware in 1986. Also, Anthrax are very small guys - really teeny - as were Elf and they spawned RJD so diminutive stature ensuring automatic greatness may be another factor burrowing away (like an inexorable termite) into the subconscious to seal some form of unexpected allegiance (of Steel [to The Creed {on the way to Valhalla.}])

Cheers.

Dreadnought likes this.
  7. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

You make that sound so noble and principled. Heroic even. Not being a rude person I never did state my opinion which I formed long ago but you offend a friend of mine and one of the better writers here. To misquote Jack Nicholson from Five Easy Pieces "Where do you get the ass to tell anybody anything. You shouldn't even be in the same room with" him. My opinion is I don't think you're a music listener/lover at all. From Detroit/ over the top histrionic vocals/ cross-pollinization/ mainstream/ "I love metal because I love music" repeat, repeat covers the preamble. After that it's all name dropping, generic terms and stats from Billboard (something to do with popularity and acceptance).

The opposite of @Trillmeister who has an obvious deep and passionate love for music.

I usually get it on the first pass. "Reading is fundamental" I believe you've said. Said elsewhere as you've instructed to others on other forums. Found quite accidentally last year on forums where members are more upfront with their opinions.

It all starts innocently enough with hello

"Heart? A man who's every post on here so far is littered with bitter old man cynicism seeping out of every pore.... Well, thanks again for more of your amazing insight into what a **** world this is. What a ray of ****ing sunshine you've turned out to be, so glad you joined."

"Jesus ****ing Christ, dude, how self-important can you get? It's laughable that you'd sling around a word like "poseur" after saying that metalheads are "supposed to be badasses". You've done nothing here but posture about how jaded and knowledgeable you are. This whole thread is a bunch of hot air designed to draw people out so you can find something to disagree with. Has that worked out well for you elsewhere, or is this fulfilling an unmet need? There are lots of forums where it's the norm, so you should find someplace to fit in, provided you haven't already worn out your welcome.

As far as who this forum is "for", it's a community, which I'm guessing is a concept that eludes you. It's for anyone who wants to hang out and talk about music and get along. You're not getting banned for calling names, you're getting banned for being a disagreeable **** and purposefully alienating the regulars. Thank you for providing us with this cursory introduction to your damaged psyche, and for keeping nearly all of your ******** confined to this thread instead of spreading it far and wide."

"I'm glad to see that time changes nothing. This guy is still every bit the **** he was when I was posting on the Amazon metal forum with him, and he made enemies with everyone there as well. I guess constantly being burned and proven wrong doesn't yield any corrective action when your head **** *** to perceive it. Due to my personal bias, I didn't want to be the one to drop the ban hammer, but I figured it wouldn't be long before he did it to himself. Good riddance."

Live by the sword...

8. I have that one.
    Their best album IMO.

9. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Yeah, they peaked pretty early.

Zoot Marimba and Doggiedogma like this.
  10. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Enjoy some rare extended Priest....

Northwind, weekendtoy and Yam Graham like this.
  11. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

DCC gold - nice! :edthumbs:

four sticks likes this.
  12. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

13. dmiller458

I didn't lose one bit of sleep over the "Dude, Sabbath!" crowd banning me from that forum. If I was that concerned about what other people think, I wouldn't post anything anywhere on the internet. IMHO most of those folks need a sense of humor implant. But in the greater scheme of things, it really doesn't matter.

I'll address the rest of your post in a conversation thread when I get off work.

14. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I agree.

15. Trillmeister

Oh, 12/10 - just... utterly, time and space distortingly sublime.
    :edthumbs::cheers::ed:
    Gillan in full flight is quite a thing.

zen and Paulette like this.
  16. Trillmeister

This.

Did I really read, upon a Heavy Metal forum, people 'dissing' less prodigious bands of the NWOBHM era and attributing such as the denigrating issue?

What a disappointing state of affairs.

Let's just think about this because I swear, some of these bands, as Sangy has suggested - to which I'd add the Tygers of Pan Tang, Raven, Witchfinder General and Demon, to name but three - produced material that easily pulls up alongside and in one or two instances, positively flies past what many define as classic Saxon.

Indeed and this is for my antipodean compadre, Jimmy, let's think about Loudness who I know we both adore.

In the early 80s and for a while, they, like say Manowar (who I know you can't stand but bear with me) were commercially parochial and if you saw either, would most likely be at some 'intimate venue.' However, the material was in both cases rarified Steel and over time, overseas audiences grew, organically...

To the point where certainly in recent years, in territories where 'Ed' hasn't fully magnoliered the musical landscapes of entire generations, we got this:

[​IMG]

lenny nero and Jimmy Agates like this.
  17. Trillmeister

Just for Jimmy:

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  18. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Easily one of the most overrated albums of the '00s and of 2005 especially.

Metalrob and Northwind like this.
  19. Forgot I had this, just dug it looking for something else, ticks all the boxes for riffage:

Point Blank - point blank 1976

steelhead, Popsy and Paulette like this.
  20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I love the way they progressed from Kill Em All to Ride to Puppets...what a run. You could argue that the run continued with Justice and even the Black album...there was still solid progression. I don't hate Load/Reload either because I feel like that was a natural move for them.

The DCC Gold of Ride is amazing.

kyouki likes this.
  21. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

22. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

Groovy...thanks for that.

zphage likes this.
  23. dmiller458

Good, if standard, bluesy hard rock. Love that slide guitar. The vocals sound a little forced at times; but on Wandering, Lone Star Fool and Distance, they're firing on all cylinders.

zphage, any info on who was playing lead on each individual song? Nothing I found indicated if Burns was playing all of them or if he and Davis were alternating.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. dmiller458

25. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Another one I shot. Great Album.

weekendtoy likes this.