The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Been listening to Grave Digger's new album, The Living Dead, since I received it on Friday when it was released.

Another solid album from the consistent German Power Metal band. Has a good mix of fast and mid-paced power along with a "fun" song in which they infuse some Russian Polka into the song "Zombie Dance" (The music video for this song is a hoot and kind of reminds you of a parody of Michael Jackson's "Thriller".)

[​IMG]

Grave Digger - The Living Dead

01. Fear Of The Living Dead
    02. Blade Of The Immortal
    03. When Death Passes By
    04. Shadow Of The Warrior
    05. The Power Of Metal
    06. Hymn Of The Damned
    07. What War Left Behind
    08. Fist In Your Face
    09. Insane Pain
    10. Zombie Dance
    11. Glory Or Grave (Bonus Track)

2. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

The Yngwie album that I think no one really accounts for in terms of influence. It's interesting that you see such an increase in symphonic elements in metal after this one.

Fusionfan and Curveboy like this.
  3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

How Many Miles To Babylon is brilliant.

Fusionfan and Sanguinus like this.
  4. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

Not been here in a while, been on a country and bluegrass kick this year. What heavy rock has everyone been listening to this year?

I am listening to the new Uriah Heep album right now - Living the Dream

Haven't listened to nearly enough heavy music this year

ifihadafish and carlwm like this.
  5. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I can't remember whom to thank on the board but my interest in Primal Fear was reignited.
    Really solid new album out from them and been checking out and revisiting their back catalog.

6. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

I can't say I have ever really listened to Primal Fear. Maybe I should

7. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

You should.

Curveboy likes this.
  8. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Rat Bat Blue is a fine song, but I always sort of deducted a few points for the fact that they used virtually the same riff as the one in Woman From Tokyo.

9. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, the new one is really good, listening to it for the first time tonight coincidentally. On first spin I thought it was OK but nowhere as good as Rulebreaker, on second spin now it sounds better than the first spin though. I love the riff/chords in - crap, I think it was track 4 (King of Madness) but I'm not sure now what song it was. I could do without "the beast" almost death metal growls though in track 9 (The Beast). Only two partial listens so far so hard for me to really judge it but it sounds like an album that requires many listens to take it all in & really appreciate it.

Jimmy Agates and Curveboy like this.
  11. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Haha, it's always unexpected to see such recommendations around these forums :)
    Asparez is actually considered to be the first Armenian heavy metal band (SoaD was inspired by it) and their guitar player is quite a famous guy May Lian who filmed the first guitar school on VHS in Russia and also was featured on guitar virtuoso CD compilation in US. His real name is Yuriy Mailian.

12. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

New Uriah Heep is really good.

Fusionfan likes this.
  13. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Just what an over-the-hill, classic Metal recusant needs to keep going, in the face of a reality that wants naught but thine very extinction.

Like many bands who the dread conformists would automatically have condemned as freakishly beyond their sell-by (Saxon, 'Priest, et al) there are bloody great globs of the Shaw sung epoch that not only reprise the spirit of whatever nebulous 'classic' bit the ancient fans allegedly only tolerate but arguably blitz.

They do suffer moments of serious clanging clanger along the whey but when Mick Box & co decide to fire up the V8, it's very hard not to fall into line and simply applaud.

14. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

OOF! :righton:

Cracking stuff, Sangy but this baby is strictly in the realms of unobtainium!

15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Been trying to give Doro some love but the new double disc set, Forever Warriors/Forever United, is hit or miss. I like more tunes on the second half, but much like Judas Priests' Redeemer of Souls there are some odd mixing and mastering decisions going on that make even the best of songs sound a little odd.

carlwm likes this.
  16. zen

zen Senior Member

:thumbsup:

Northwind likes this.
  17. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Teutonic thrash's progressive/technical element is underrated.

weekendtoy likes this.
  18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've got a soft spot for Doro. One of my earliest concert experiences was Warlock supporting W.A.S.P. in Bristol in '84 or '85. Great gig. Both bands on fire.

But I've always struggled with her records. There's always a few good songs but much of it is just too generic/samey. Thinking back to that early show, it annoys me that I don't like her music more.

weekendtoy, Trillmeister and Curveboy like this.
  19. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

New Satan sounds great!

Synthfreek likes this.
  20. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

One of the heaviest albums from 1970. Vincent Crane's Hammond work is the most savage this side of Jon Lord.

Also, this is how you dance to heavy rock.

Fusionfan likes this.
  21. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Australian thrash.

22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Pamela Moore with Ralf Scheepers

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. zen

zen Senior Member

Can anyone spot the magazine cover typo?
    [​IMG]

Ian Paice
    “The moments of inception have been the fondest memories. Once I’d got the job in ’68, that was amazing, balanced by the feeling of absolute desolation when the band destroyed itself. Any band that’s been around for any duration has had a rocky road. You’re asking four or five totally different characters to deal with each other in a very high-pressure situation, over a long period of time. Like a marriage, it doesn’t always run smooth. When you’re going around the world, you’re all you’ve got. The fact that you are under this compressed social circle means that occasionally it does get volatile.”

Read more at Introducing Deep Purple: The Ultimate Music Guide - Uncut

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Northwind likes this.
  24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

This is the best Banger Review so far especially from around 11:30 to 14:00 minutes.

Fusionfan likes this.
  25. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Stormrider77 and Northwind like this.