The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ron325

ron325 Forum Resident

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but a few friends on FB have been saying the new Voivid is excellent. I heard a little bit and wasn’t moved, but maybe I need to hear the whole thing.

2. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Is any Voivid album a fairly safe bet? I don't really know anything about the band but see various discs of theirs in the used bins a lot.

3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

A horrible band IMO

weekendtoy likes this.
  4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

You need to sample from various eras/albums, they can be considered difficult to get into and they are not commercial/arena metal. Their most highly rated albums are

1- Nothingface - 1989
    2- Dimension Hatross - 1988
    3- Killing Technology - 1987
    4 - The Outer Limits - 1993
    5- The Wake - 2018
    6- Phobos - 1997

GodShifter and weekendtoy like this.
  5. ron325

ron325 Forum Resident

I just realized I mistyped Voivod.
    I was never a fan... just thought they were decent. Not sure why so many of my friends are saying the new one is great.

weekendtoy likes this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

7. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Awesome. I won't be able to contribute until we get to the Zonder era, however.

8. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Thanks, I think I'll keep my eyes open for something from that late 80's period.

Deuce66 likes this.
  9. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

[​IMG]

$tinkfoot, GodShifter and Brenald79 like this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’d recommend the 3 major label albums on MCA to start out with. Angel Rat would be first choice. That has their most well known song Clouds In My Head. They’re out of print so if you see them used, gran them.

11. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Could be a good way for you to discover Arch-era stuff tbh

Northwind likes this.
  12. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Latest from Red Dragon Cartel and Patina, coming out November 9. I must say this is a rather strange song, but the vibe and licks are fantastic. Looking like a creative breakthrough for Jake E. Lee compared to the lukewarm debut.

Curveboy likes this.
  13. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Band deserves as much acclaim as Cirith Ungol, to be honest.

weekendtoy, Trillmeister and ArpMoog like this.
  14. Rikiii

Rikiii Forum Resident

Infinite, not Infinity

zen likes this.
  15. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Not had time to listen to the full link but the first few minutes transport me back to a halcyon, early-mid 80s daze when this kind of classicism was a broadly default, stylistic assault that rarely disappointed.

There were only 1,473 Metal bands, globally, in 1984 so there was an outside chance the keen Steel surfer could conquer the whole damn ouevre during a lifetime but of course decades later, there are half a million Metal wannabes and it's simply too much to face: which is why I keep it relatively Classic and appreciate this kind of recommendation - one of the 1,473 that I missed.

Hail and kill.

:uhhuh:

weekendtoy likes this.
  16. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

A lost classic of a prog thrash album.

17. Trillmeister

Will somebody kindly explain to me anything broadly or specifically approximating towards the rationale behind Iron Maiden employing K. Shirley as their producer?

I've just been screaming at thin air whilst rotating Dance Of Death.

Here is an album absolutely choc full of astounding, musical Maidenisms yet as ever, what could be one of Metal's finer 68 minutes is hobbled by the sound quality of a freshly laid Apogee Scintilla being roundly buried by several tons of Brontosaurus sh1t.

I kept imagining these phenomenal musicians - and that irrepressible genius behind the mic - playing this music for the first time, in a studio - but with M. Birch still in command and what might have been the outcome for punters like Y. Truly... heck, even those Bayley records with N. Green would be like purest, audio mana compared to this fugging purgatory.

How the hell can/could anyone allow such unfettered, creative magnificence to be so sonically maligned?

I've said it before that 'The Wasp' rarely produced consecutive albums (for the same artist) which sounded alike (e.g. Piece Of Mind then Powerslave) but he never forgot the importance of capturing individual instruments' actual dynamicism; cymbals 'zinging' like a richocheting round, drums punching a crisp, clearly defined beat, guitars to cut through the pitiful veneer of mainstream magnolia and vocals that shimmered before thee like a proclamation from Ödin (on high.)

This is professional vandalism and I bloody HATE it!

:realmad:

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Preach it brother :righton: I've been saying this for years, what could have been given the quality of some of that material.

19. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Production like Dance of Death's is frustrating, yes, but I honestly think that album's production given the content is entirely appropriate. One of the worst albums in their entire discography. The fact that I see No Prayer below it (and several other ludicrously overrated post-2000 albums) on so many people's rankings and several music sites makes me ill.

20. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

The vinyl release from last year and the 5.1 DVD is a little better for it but yea, Shirley is pretty bad.

Trillmeister likes this.
  21. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

This album riffs.

22. Trillmeister

If the album sounded like almost any of Marty's endeavours from the vast trawl of his illustrious career, it would be a different experience; the universal de-equalization of sound itself is one of the most baffling things and I really don't understand how Mr. Smallwood & Co. could have greenlighted the final product.

Since you raise the point, 'bad' Iron Maiden is still worthy of note to a Metallian and whilst I'll concede it's not the most accessible slab in the catalogue (again, hugely down to the production's hatchet job) I've found my appreciations vary over the years; I even found myself warming to the late 80 duo, recently!

23. Trillmeister

Chief, do you think some kind of drastic, reconstructive surgery might help? It's so bad - what about a wholescale remix? Drastic, yes and it seems like desperate measures but sometimes it has to be done...

;)

24. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Reunited Heavy Pettin last night in Stoke supporting Punky Meadows and Frank Dimino. I'm camera right, big daft grin on my face and quite possibly a tear in the eye.....

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

If you ever imagined what Symptom of the Universe would sound like if it was covered by a euro power metal band with shredding on the side...