The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I was interested in Popoff's The Art of Metal but wanted to flip through it before buying. I did find it in a book store the other day and it's okay but didn't have enough art for me part with $40. A tough proposition for the author. The multiple reproductions on each page (one larger, others smaller) are a satisfying size but that limits the total number of images unless the book had twice as many pages and double the cost.

[​IMG]

Redhat220 and GodShifter like this.
  2. Dreadnought

I file this under the category of wanting to place a help wanted ad of "Singer wanted for potentially killer band". The first minute and half is for me the same old, same old generic bashery but then at 1:30 the lead guitar steps forth as a salvation.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  3. Dreadnought

And an entirely good vocal free jam.

4. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

:righton: {Vocals redolent of them Swiss thrashers Coroner which then morphs into distant shades of mourning Bendix (the middle bridge from 'Satan's Fall,' no less.)}

Dreadnought and GodShifter like this.
  5. Trillmeister

O/T: Don't underestimate the spiritually redemptive powers of a 180g slab of hard, black plastic, from upon which rolls out a somewhat unremarkable menu of Saxon tunes; here, in reissued, remastered form from 2013 (originally from 1990,) the title track from Solid Ball Of Rock.

Little betters a number which tracks true, builds, occasionally spewing mini crescendos with various, 'flared solos' and rhythm section skirmishes, away from the advancing, main column of melodic march, throughout: 'Freebird,' 'Rock Bottom' and 'Steeler' were all exemplars of this form and what may seem a prosaic suggestion for Biff & co, here, is in practice, an unapologetic mast nailer in the same regard.

I almost need a cigarette.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Brudy, lenny nero and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Paradise Lost are back in sunshine and rainbows mode :cool:

GodShifter likes this.
  7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Here's a new hard rock album I just got that I'm really enjoying. Only stumbled upon it thanks to an Amazon recommendation based on other stuff I bought - had no idea something like this was coming out! It's a "supergroup" type thing with Sammy Hagar as the centerpiece. Hagar on guitar/vocals, Vic Johnson on guitar (been in Sammy's backup bands for awhile), Michael Anthony on bass, and Jason Bonham on drums.

It's their only album and it's a live set - name of the band is The Circle, and the album is called At Your Service. They cover a bunch of songs from Sammy past - Montrose, solo, Van Hagar, Chickenfoot, as well as some Zeppelin - if you like Sammy or especially Van Hagar then you should like it. I find I'm digging it a lot more than I thought I would.

[​IMG]

Disc One
    1. There's Only One Way To Rock
    2. Rock Candy
    3. Good Times Bad Times
    4. Poundcake
    5. I Can't Drive 55
    6. Mikey Bass Solo
    7. When It's Love
    8. Whole Lotta Love
    9. Little White Lie
    10. When The Levee Breaks

Disc Two
    1. Jason Drum Solo/Moby Dick
    2. Why Can't This Be Love
    3. Finish What Ya Started
    4. Heavy Metal
    5. Vic Guitar Solo
    6. Best Of Both Worlds
    7. Right Now
    8. Rock And Roll
    9. Dreams (acoustic)

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Kind of an HSAS deal but no original songs from this band? I quit on Sammy Hagar sometime back. No interest in Chickenfoot whatsoever or anything beyond Marching to Mars. Zero.

Brudy, Patrick Ronvaux and bartels76 like this.
  10. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Love this track and this band! I've enjoyed all of their releases since the mid 90's.

I'm all over this release come next week.

Trillmeister likes this.
  11. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Chickenfoot is good. I think I like the first album better but they are both pretty good albums.

12. lenny nero

Two of my fave death metal groups are releasing new ones in Aug. First up is Hate Eternal, formed by former Morbid Angel guitarist Erik Rutan, who when not playing in Hate Eternal, stays busy as a producer and managing his own recording studio in FL, Mana Recordings. They're sound is pretty much amelodic, with requisite hyper speed drumming of the genre.

https://youtu.be/PKdmSbTFV54

Next up is Nile, whose lyrics are inspired by ancient Egyptian texts, as the leader of the band, Karl Sanders, is a bit of an amateur Egyptologist. They like to mix in the odd middle eastern melody with all the swirling guitars, machine gun drums, and cookie monster vocals.

NotOneStraw likes this.
  13. Trillmeister

Which alone probably justifies a dabble. :righton:

lenny nero likes this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Here's an oddball combination, Mike Portnoy playing with Twisted Sister.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Brand new GHOST track.

16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

portnoy for years though has said he's and S.M.F.

17. old school

old school Senior Member

Yeah same old stuff I agree, zero interest for me also.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. Matthew Tate

imo not 4 sale is the best hagar solo release since 1985

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

That's almost damning it with faint praise. I believe you're referring to the album I Never Said Goodbye ? Or VOA ? The former was released in 1987 and the latter in 1984. So which one? Either way, it doesn't matter much as I disliked both. To me, outside of the first Montrose record, I find very little about Sammy Hagar I really like. Some of the HSAS stuff, a little bit of some Chickenfoot I've heard, and various songs from solo material, but no whole albums except maybe Standing Hampton. I am not a fan of the Van Halen stuff with him as a singer, either. I've never felt he was a great songwriter and he falls back on a lot of cliches, covers, and party anthems in terms of his material. He's not a musician that, overall, excites me very much.

Brudy, Trillmeister and old school like this.
  20. lenny nero

I posted the below in one of the Ghost threads, so I thought I'd just post it here as well:

Also digging the cover:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  21. Matthew Tate

I was saying the best one he made since he joined van halen so best since voa.

22. Dreadnought

lenny nero likes this.
  23. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

New Beauvoir/Free:

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think it's really solid up to the song Muscle Memory and then it starts to falter a little bit here and there.

25. Dreadnought

Unfamiliar with Paradise Lost, I found some compelling less throaty stuff on the album. :thumbsup:
    Plus a better than average bonus track in the live orchestral version of Victim of the Past.

Muscle Memory is my fav. The later "In an Instant" is pretty good too. Wholesome stuff.