The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

New hard rock album from Norn Iron for ye all.

Screaming Eagles - Stand Up and Be Counted

[​IMG]

Track List:

Ready for the Fall
    Save Me
    Stand up and Be Counted
    Bow Down to the Blues
    Chase You Down
    Get out While I’m Ahead
    Breakin’ All the Rules
    Streets of Gold
    Screaming Eagles
    27 Club

The band is comprised of, Chris Fry on vocals, Adrian McAleenan on guitars, Ryan Lilly on bass and Kyle Cruikshank on drums.

Have listened to this album a few times now and I love it. It may not be terribly original but there is no shortage of heavy riffs, solos and thrills. Stand out tracks for me are Bow Down to the Blues and Streets of Gold.

I also like the closing track which, as the title suggests, pays homage to that elite band of rock brothers and sisters who were taken from the world way too soon. ‘Living life in the fast lane’ ‘Then you bowed out in a hurricane’ indeed.

ifihadafish and coinbreaker like this.
  2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

3. FlatulentDonkey

New album time - Water For Thirsty Dogs by Tracer

[​IMG]

Tracklist:
    1. Water for the thirsty dog
    2. We're only animals
    3. Us against the world
    4. Lazy
    5. Astronaut juggernaut
    6. Halfway to zero
    7. The machine
    8. Homeward bound
    9. Owe you nothing
    10. Tremors
    The Aussie trio are back with a new album. Pledge music funded and self produced, and it's a stonker. My favourite track is Lazy.

Here's a review that does it more justice than I can.

How about a wee taster?

Astronaut/Juggernaut

Homeward Bound

4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Trailer for the new Dario Mollo / Glenn Hughes collaboration:

Trillmeister and slipkid like this.
  5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I didn't watch that clip, but thanks for the heads up, guess it is happening after all. I was wondering what happened to that project, have had it on my "to buy" list for months and months but never was able to find anything out about it coming out/when/etc, thought maybe it got derailed by the new Hughes/Aldrich thing that is supposedly going on as well.

Curveboy likes this.
  6. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Saw Slayer Tuesday nite, in a pretty small venue for them, I think it holds just over a thousand people. I've only seen them in a coliseum before so it was pretty cool to see them in such a small place. It was like an oven in the club, and by the end of the show, Holt looked like a drowned rat in his "Kill the Kardashians" tee shirt. Sound was great as well. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Setlist:

Repentless
    Hate Worldwide
    Jihad
    Disciple
    God Send Death
    War Ensemble
    When the Stillness Comes
    Implode
    Mandatory Suicide
    Chemical Warfare
    Ghosts of War
    Die by the Sword
    Postmortem
    Necrophiliac
    Seasons In The Abyss
    Dead Skin Mask
    Hell Awaits
    South of Heaven
    Raining Blood
    Angel of Death

7. lenny nero

Some quick thoughts on some recent purchases.

Cradle of Filth ~ Hammer of the Witches - really like this one, sounds a bit more traditional COF than their last one, which had a thrashier feel. More keyboards and orchestra on it than the last release as well. Fave tracks so far are 'Blackest Magick in Practice', 'Hammer of the Witches', and 'Yours Immortally'. Horns up!

Lamb of God ~ Vol VII Sturm Und Drang - my fave songs from this band are the ones where they have a really heavy groove going on, like Pantera used to have, and so far nothing is standing out for me on this one. I've had it less than a week, so hopefully that will change. There's one song on here where Randy sings clean, which I believe is a first for them. Chino from The Deftones makes an appearance on one of the tracks. Their drummer, Chris Adler, is playing drums on the new Megadeth disc and I believe the guy who produced this one is also working on the new Megadeth as well. So far Horns down!(subject to change)

8. lenny nero

New Saxon coming in Oct. Love this band and any new release is a guaranteed buy.

Jimmy Agates, Viper, slipkid and 2 others like this.
  9. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Haven't heard about a new Saxon until just now! Biff & Co. have put out great stuff recently.

lenny nero likes this.
  10. FlatulentDonkey

F*** me I love that. Will definitely have to buy the album when released

lenny nero likes this.
  11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, am looking fwd to it.

lenny nero likes this.
  12. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Usual high quality Saxon - already preordered :)

lenny nero likes this.
  13. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Search/ suffer as I might for new stuff I take a reprieve of huge comfort and enjoyment with what is well known to most but new to me. I've lost track of how many weeks post 70s UFO has been my singular comfort. (skinny tie seen notwithstanding).

Jimmy Agates, GodShifter and Curveboy like this.
  14. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

That long 7" from the Live album was among my first few records bought - Inside Looking Out ! Not too long after I got the DoLP, SURVIVAL is my favorite Grand Funk release but most are great..

15. coinbreaker

coinbreaker Well-Known Member

16. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

New Stryper Fallen:

17. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

New Windhand song/video from their forthcoming LP in September:

Dreadnought and GodShifter like this.
  18. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I've never heard that song. My progress through the UFO years has been slow due to my weakness for the repeat play (obsessive love). I'll load a later album in Foobar but I can't stop putting a bunch of select songs from prior years up front. I don't always make to the as yet unheard album. As much as I don't like 'greatest hits' I've ended up creating exactly that, and that individual UFO songs are very hit and miss for me I don't feel traitorous. From Letting Go, Gone in the Night, Any Day down to The Writer, You'll Get Love, Doing it All For You, Dreaming. Yes, even Terri. On the verge of cringe-worthiness Terri is but because Phil Mogg's voice is just so g-damn fine I can't help but listen. I will step back earlier to the late 70s with another softy Born To Lose for the reward of having my brain shredded by the guitar solo. Oh the density of notes jam packed in there! As a guy raised on Jimmy Page this solo is a new type of creature. I have sampled the most recent albums without really digesting them. My first impression was that Phil had held a seance and channeled the still living voice of Bruce Springsteen. Age takes its toll. :(

I love both this song and video and post it to ask what film is this from? I admit I haven't done a proper search for the answer. Just wondering if anyone knew.

coinbreaker likes this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Just got this album, like it a lot. Can't remember where I heard of it, whether it was from a review in Classic Rock Magazine, a suggestion through Amazon, or this very thread.

The band is from Belfast, Northern Ireland according to the sticker on the CD so I'm wondering if this might've already been up here as a suggestion from our resident Irish rocker F.Donkey (?).

Maverick - Quid Pro Quo (2014)

[​IMG]

David Balfour – Lead Vox
    Ryan Sebastian Balfour – Lead Guitar
    Ric Cardwell – Guitar, Backing Vox
    Richie Diver – Bass, Backing Vox
    Mike Ross – Drums, Backing Vox

Back cover with tracklist:
    [​IMG]

This is a straightforward hard rocking album with good songs and killer guitar solos. Has a vocalist with a powerful voice that is both melodic and heavy at the same time - he can scream if he wants to, but doesn't over do it. If you like your hard rock melodic, say in the vein of something like Dokken, you should check this album out.

The only thing about it I consider a weakness is what I call "gang vocals" - some songs have multiple background vocal lines with some of the guys singing/shouting part of the vocals for emphasis or whatever, kind of Def Leppardish for lack of another reference point. Just something I'm not that into.

Official video for the song In Our Blood:

Snake Skin Sinner - first song I heard off this. Thinking more about it I think it might've been included as a track on a Classic Rock Magazine sampler CD, which turned me onto them. Very catchy. Probably my favorite song on the album.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFcxkTaoEKw

Enitre full album here if you want to check it out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sDtw-3dVx0

FlatulentDonkey and ifihadafish like this.
  20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Another new album I've been getting into a lot lately.

The Dead Daisies - Revolucion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[For some unknown reason this got posted before I even finished it...will try adding my thoughts below, still working on it....]

21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

The Dead Daisies - Revolucion (2015)

John Corabi – Vocals, acoustic guitar
    David Lowy – Guitar
    Richard Fortus – Guitar
    Dizzy Reed – Keys, backing vocals
    Marco Mendoza – Bass, backing vocals
    Brian Tichy – Drums on "Evil" and "Midnight Moses"
    Jackie Barnes - Drums, percussion, backing vocals on all other tracks

Note: Jimmy Barnes guests and sings lead vocals on the track Empty Heart (which he also wrote). I have no idea but I wonder if drummer "Jackie Barnes" is a relative of his (???).

1. Mexico
    2. Evil
    3. Looking For The One
    4. Empty Heart
    5. Make The Best Of It
    6. Something I Said
    7. Get Up Get Ready
    8. With You And I
    9. Sleep
    10. My Time
    11. Midnight Moses
    12. Devil Out Of Time
    13. Critical

One of the best straightup blues/hardrock blends I've heard in awhile. I was turned onto this band in 2013 when an issue of Classic Rock Magazine included a CD of their entire debut album. Liked it enough to go out and buy it the record even though I already had the giveaway copy. I was skeptical that they could equal the first album, but IMO I think they've actually bettered it with this one - songs full of great riffs, memorable melodies, and burning guitar.

Evidently the band is kind of a supergroup of ex-Guns'n'Roses members, Australian rockers, and other musicians (like Marco Mendoza, who have served in a bunch of other bands). Slash even played on their first album. For this album, original vocalist Jon Stevens has been replaced by John Corabi (who sounds absolutely great).

Opening track Mexico, with a heavy AC/DC vibe, especially the intro:

Official video for Midnight Moses:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOD02aoqU08

The song, Empty Heart, with Jimmy Barnes on lead vocals:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJhbxAXJI74

The entire album is rock solid, but this is my favorite track from it (Critical). Great slow verses with a killer chorus that ramps things up, and a great guitar solo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5cNrOgOcp0

A can't miss album for fans of classic hard rock.

22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Finding information on the US release is like pulling teeth...the digital download seems to have 15 tracks, but I can't find any info on if the US CD is going to have 15 tracks.

I'll be getting it in some form or another...

23. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Heard the brand-new debut by Sweat Lodge - Talismana - earlier today which I thought was pretty interesting.

24. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

From the director of the video over on the NPR page where I found it (http://www.npr.org/event/music/429333508/windhand-crypt-key):

Opening with an acoustic guitar and warbling organ, "Crypt Key" is a creeping doom-metal waltz, here visualized with an array of cult images layered on top of each other. Director Jordan Vance writes:

"I compiled clips of archived film that I thought looked like what I was hearing. In addition to old film, I used clips from shows that I've shot of Windhand and various other random situations that I went out and shot on my camera to make a sort of foundation to accent the music here and there."

EDIT—Oh, I see you linked to "Orchard" off their last album. I'm guessing that's more of the same? Random clips of old horror movies, sorry, not familiar with any of the footage.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Hmm. I didn't know the download version has more tracks (dammit!). As far as a US release goes, I had to buy this (and the first one) as UK imports, probably direct from Amazon UK but I can't recall. I'm not sure if these even got real US releases, which is a big shame if true.