The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. old school

old school Senior Member

Wow that is what I probably paid for mine in 1972 because it was a import.

2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

All hail the power trio!! (Like Supafuzz above).

If you're only a trio I think you (usually) have to be pretty damn good at your instrument (Rush, Jimi Hendrix Experience, ZZ Top, Robin Trower in his glory days, King's X, Mountain, to name a few).

To quote Tim Christensen of my favorite trio Dizzy Mizz Lizzy (who I shall discuss at some point), from the song Glory - "One guitar, one bass, and a drummer...that's really all it takes".

Of course with that lyric Tim is leaving out the vocalist part of the equation, and I guess is assuming somebody playing one of the three instruments can also contribute that part. If you think about it the trio + vocalist formula has been one of the biggest in rock bands (The Who, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, U2, Free, etc). Not that there is anything wrong with deviating from that format and adding another guitar player (Thin Lizzy, Wishbone Ash) or keyboards (Yes, Deep Purple), but when it gets too big and adds instruments like horns or orchestras that's when it usually loses me.

Anyways, here's a trio with a new album out that is a pretty good hard rock/metal opus out this year.

The band is considered a hard rock "supergroup" - Doug Pinnick from King's X, George Lynch from Dokken/Lynch Mob, and Ray Luzier from Korn.

[​IMG]

KXM - KXM (2014)

1. Stars
    2. Rescue Me
    3. Gun Fight
    4. Never Stop
    5. Faith Is a Room
    6. I'll Be OK
    7. Sleep
    8. Love
    9. Burn
    10. Do it Now
    11. Human Friction
    12. Tranquilize
    13. Rescue Me (radio edit)

Doug Pinnick - Bass, Vocals
    George Lynch - Guitar
    Ray Luzier - Drums

I'm already a huge fan of Pinnick for his work with King's X and Lynch from his work in Dokken, but am not into Korn so was totally unfamiliar with Luzier. Luzier's drumming is killer on this though, quite a monster drummer and he's earned my respect.

The songs remind me of King's X more than anything else. Heavy vibes with layered melodic backing vocals. Lynch's playing is more Hendrixian (or Trowerian?) than what I am used to from him - actually he sounds very much like KX's Ty Tabor! If this album had been released as a "King's X" album with no band member details I would be none the wiser.

The first three tracks are an all out sonic assault without much letup.

Found videos for two of them...

Gunfight
    PRESIDENT PINNICK! (LOL)

Rescue Me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD40-CJljas

Third song "Never Stop" however switches gear with a softer melodic pace. Gives us time to catch our breath. But then it is pretty much back to heavier propulsive blues-metal for most of the tracks.

I'll Be OK (track 6) is quite an awesome guitar workout and might be my favorite on the album.

The rest of the tracks are similar fare - again very much remind of King's X. Track #12 (Tranquilize) is an instrumental. Anything but tranquil comes to mind while listening to it though (Lynch's guitar goes crazy over a heavy rock/blues vibe).

If you are already a fan of King's X then you'll probably dig this album. It's similar to Dogman more so than any of their other albums IMO; it's got that heaviness wise. If you've never heard of King's X but you like heavy blues rock with sharp metal edges check it out, and if you like it then run out and get some King's X (I prefer their earlier albums, up through Ear Candy, and would say start with their first one, Out of the Silent Planet).

3. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

KXM sounds like they have potential. Before I learned about this band, I never knew Luzier was in Korn (because that band I have no interest in), but I did know he was with David Lee Roth for eight years, including the pretty darn good DLR Band album.

GodShifter likes this.
  4. LordJohn

LordJohn Forum Resident

I've had an e.p. called "Still Going....Wrong!" by an obscure Swedish metal band named 'Burn' since the late 80's and have never parted with it because I just love the lead vocal. It's tough to find any information about them but I think the singer's name is Hans Bell and as far as I can tell he never went on to do anything else musically. It's really well worth a listen (if you can get past the pretty dopey lyrics). I'd be curious what you guys think.

slipkid and GodShifter like this.
  5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I did not know that! Maybe I've seen him live (with Roth). He is a beast on the KXM album.

6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I like the song/riff/guitar. The vocalist is OK, a little like the guy in fellow Swedish band Free Fall that I mentioned earlier in this thread (weird).

Wtf is a "brown envelope invasion"?? I guess in Sweden that is how they get overdue bills? Pretty funny. :)

LordJohn likes this.
  7. old school

old school Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Kadavar Abra Kadavar ( 2013 )
    01. Come Back Life
    02. Doomsday Machine
    03. Eye Of The Storm
    04. Black Snake
    05. Dust
    06. Fire
    07. Liquid Dream
    08. Rhythm For Endless Minds
    09. Abra Kadabra
    Kadavar are a trio in the retro hard rock vein from Berlin Germany. The band is...
    Lupus Lindemann ...Vocals/ Guitar
    Mammut ...Bass
    Tiger ...Drums
    There sound is "Warm, intense, authentic , doubtlessly a gift from bygone times," Kadavar's been elevated to one of today's most sought after and exciting acts. The Berlin trio, have worked quickly to become one of the most prominent acts in the European heavy underground with their growing fan base starving for more material. This new release has us entering the realms of "Abra Kadavar" , down-to-earth handmade classic rock from a time when music still used to be true art!

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Another great trio. This is turning into a trio thread :)

GodShifter and old school like this.
  9. msd47

msd47 Forum Resident

[​IMG] This is a pretty cool stoner comp from the late '90s, but then again I am old and like more mainstream acts like QOTSA and Masters of Reality, so I may be way out of my league in this thread.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

an old one from the early days of death metal. Some might call them grindcore.

eric777, ripping corpse and DDTM like this.
  11. msd47

msd47 Forum Resident

A heavy drummer from back in my day was Carmine Appice, who was in a couple of groups, the first proggish and psychedelic, and the other harder and boogie-based: [​IMG] [​IMG]

Kurofuda and GodShifter like this.
  12. msd47

msd47 Forum Resident

Just ordered this, and expect to like it.

GodShifter likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I have that comp. It's great. You're definitely not out of your league here. I expect we'll get to a lot of the bands on that one. :)

I like the same kind of stuff you do. Trust me.

msd47 likes this.
  14. GodShifter

Cactus is awesome. "Rumblin' Man" is years ahead of its time. Proto-sludge or something.

msd47 likes this.
  15. msd47

msd47 Forum Resident

But I also just ordered a Dean Martin comp based on a recommendation in another thread, so go figure. There's no accounting for taste or lack therof.

Speaking of Texas, I am going to see Johnny and Edgar Winter live in a few weeks and am psyched.

Brudy and GodShifter like this.
  16. msd47

msd47 Forum Resident

Vanilla Fudge will be part of that show as well.

17. GodShifter

Ha, well, Dean Martin isn't my speed, but whatever :D I love Johnny Winter, though...

Look forward to talking music with you.

msd47 likes this.
  18. msd47

msd47 Forum Resident

Huh! I am listening to Rumblin' Man on You Tube. It appears to be an outake from the self-titled Cactus album, but is completely new to me. Thanks for the heads-up.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. msd47

msd47 Forum Resident

Do you know of Omar Dykes (another Texas blues heavyweight)?

20. msd47

msd47 Forum Resident

Here's an album worth hearing:
    [​IMG]

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  21. GodShifter

Though I haven't listened to this (yet), I can't help, but think how much stuff Doug Pinnick has done in terms of collaborations. Off the top of my head, there's Gales Pinnick Pridgen, KXM, Supershine, The Mob, Tres Mts. and, jeez, his solo stuff is staggering in terms of Poundhound, "Dug" Pinnick and, lord, whatever else besides his main band, King's X. I think he's also a member of Tribe After Tribe (or was). I mean, how does the dude have the time for all this stuff and still have a life? Perhaps he doesn't have a life. I believe Pinnick is now in his early 60's (he's significantly older than either of his King's X bandmates), so he's either got a ton of energy or a lot of bills to pay. He's a great musician, but there's something to be said for spreading yourself too thin and/or releasing stuff that sounds too similar to other stuff you've done. Let's face it, a lot of his projects, solo and otherwise, sound a lot like King's X and, yeah, that's partly because of his vocals, but the music (guitar tones, feel, vibe) is pretty similar, too. Too much of a good thing can, sometimes, be exactly that.

Brudy likes this.
  22. GodShifter

I am ashamed to say I have not heard of Omar Sykes, but I see that he's attached to Omar & the Howlers who I've heard of, but have not heard. I'll check into them.

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, both Doug & Ty (guitarist) have done a lot of things outside of KX over the years; many side bands, solo albums, album projects, guest appearances, etc. I'm afraid that KX may have suffered as a result (many of their songs wind up elsewhere instead of on KX albums) but like you say, they got bills to pay, and KX never made it big enough to pay the bills (I guess).

GodShifter likes this.
  24. old school

old school Senior Member

EGYPT
    by EGYPT
    [​IMG]
    1. Valley of the Kings 07:35
    2. Queen of all Time ( Red Giant ) 09:24
    3. Dirty Witch 07:19
    4. Touch Ground 07:30

Aaron Esterby - Electric Bass, Vocals
    Ryan Grahn - Electric Guitar
    Chad Heille - Percussion

EGYPT is a Acid/ Psych Doom band from Fargo N. Dakota. This is there EP from 2009.
    They have a full CD out called ' Become The Sun' that came out in 2013. Egypt is a
    very solid group with a promising future. Check out this clip from there EP.

25. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

This thread has been fun to follow: several good, detailed reviews and example videos :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    old school likes this.