The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Sweet fancy Moses, I just played Bible Black at a nice volume (ie louder than @#&%). What a tune, I had forgotten how great it was. A more than worthy finale from the Dio fronted Black Sabbath lineup.

kyouki, ifihadafish, Curveboy and 3 others like this.
  2. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Been on the 2013 and 2015 Monsters Of Rock cruises out of Miami and they were awesome. Yes the bands do just hang out and wander about the boat amongst the fans and despite what some might think they usually sell out.

Going on the LA one in October too which sold out months ago....heres the line up - say what you will but most of these bands are still great live - I'm most looking forward to seeing Loudness, Vain, Kix, Winery Dogs, Bang Tango, Keel, Britny Fox and Lynch Mob but most of the bands I will attempt to check out amongst the partying :)

[​IMG]

3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

As Bermuda was getting end of year accolades I checked it out but it didn't work for me. If I criticize it Wired don't take that as anything more than differences in personal taste. Without a doubt something I like is not appreciated. Is it a trend or something that bands after some minutes of all guns, howitzers and peashooters' simultaneous blazing bashery that they then tack on a serene delicate passage as if that elevates the piece? If it's done par excellence such as by Opeth with their intertwined passages it's a fit of unquestionable naturalness and musical logic. If it's simply dropped on at the end it just seems like Lego blocks to me. Maybe I'm hard to please as I've never liked the well regarded Agalloch either and their stirring some Simon & Garfunkel into the mix. Something too calculated about it, calculated to please....I'll leave it at that.

Meanwhile in my latest listen of a band that could have a truckload of scorn poured upon it I took a second long indulgence with Horrendous resulting in my liking them even more. I mentioned them before but I've had such a good time listening I'll indulge in a rave. I still wish the vocals or rather the throat-alist was hollering clean. Given the musical progress between albums 2 and 3, the recent release, I didn't expect there'd be much for me on the official debut or their previous homemade 6 track offering. I tossed them the $7 x 2 (about $90 Canadian.:p Kidding) for the sake of completeness and band support, and I was right, there wasn't much there for me.

This Anareta by Horrendous is only Death Metal superficially. Remove the Death Metal style vocal track and it's a phenomenal Hard Rock album. Guitar Rock of highest caliber. It could be that over the years I've had some practice in mentally filtering out vocalists who don't do much for me when the guitars are excellent and primary. Sonic Youth and Smashing Pumpkins quickly come to mind. Actually the throat-alist isn't bothering me much anymore. I take heart in that Horrendous is fairly young, a trio about 25 years of age with one of the guitarists and the drummer brothers. It certainly allows one to indulge deeply when the recording/ mastering is top notch (the louder you play it, the better it sounds). Pour the current into it via the volume knob and I wonder if this what death by carbon monoxide poisoning is like, unaware of the danger and pain free, to be found in repose wearing a stupid grin. The glory of electric guitar as main star. Not once have I not involuntarily dropped my head and rocked in great soulful sympathy to the so simple forthrightness displayed at 1:38+ or at 3:48 imagine where on the frets are those fingers (I have no idea. I'm no Rose River Bear). Maybe I'm off my rocker in my assessment but I do have a stupid grin on so money well spent.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Does Eddie Trunk host every one of these cruises? Must be a good gig for him and his family.

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I can't get past the vocals on this one, it's too bad because the music is pure melodic/death metal magic. Get a new vocalist please.

new Voivod!!!

Dreadnought likes this.
  6. GodShifter

I like the music of Horrendous as it reminds me a bit of Heartwork era Carcass but, yeah, the vocals aren't to my liking very much, but I can get past them.

Dreadnought likes this.
  7. Dreadnought

Haha :D, yeah, not blaming you re the vocalist.
    Voivod, to my shame all I know about them is they're from Quebec and are considered important. Okay, will check out.

8. Dreadnought

Yeah, totally understandable. I wish it was clean but for some reason I can deemphasize it. :shrug:

9. GodShifter

If you're going to check out Voivod, get The Outer Limits first. It's pretty accessible and has cool spacey stuff along with their usual thing. Nothingface is also a good place to start. Stay away from early stuff as it's very thrashy and poorly recorded (first three albums).

Dreadnought likes this.
  10. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

I've tried many times over the years to get into Voivod, but they just don't do it for me for some reason.

four sticks likes this.
  11. Jimmy Agates

Yes indeed!!

GodShifter likes this.
  12. GodShifter

It took me years to get used to Snake's vocals. Also Piggy's (RIP) guitar work is fairly dissonant and difficult to digest. They're certainly not for everybody.

13. Dreadnought

14. old school

old school Senior Member

I just purchased the first two Sanctuary CDs. How is the sound on these discs? They never have been remastered have they? Which is probably a good thing.

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, even though that one has more bands I either have no interest in , or never heard of, it has some I'm a big fan of and would like to see like Mr. Big, Winery Dogs, and Rhino Bucket.

Interesting that Lynch Mob is going on both cruises (as is Eddie T).

And also is very cool that not only will Paul Gilbert be there in Mr. Big, but Billy Sheehan will be there in BOTH Mr. Big and Winery Dogs, AND Richie Kotzen of Winery Dogs used to be in Mr. Big for a couple albums. I wonder if Richie will sit in with Mr. Big at all, or even if Paul would get an invite to burn with Winery Dogs (playing again with both Sheehan, and Dogs' drummer Portnoy who he has collaborated with in the past on a couple projects). The mind boggles....

Ivand, Jimmy Agates and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. DOUBTINGTHOMAS29

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Forum Resident

Not sure if they've been mentioned yet but I really like Tom Warrior's most recent band.

GodShifter and Jeff Kent like this.
  17. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

The most recent (third) Sanctuary album is a killer, too. It beats the first two albums IMHO.

18. Jimmy Agates

My most anticipated rock album of 2016 is out April 14....
    [​IMG]

19. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

I've been listening to this and thought some of you might be interested

Forever Still - Tied Down

They are a Danish band and the music is quite dark/gothic with themes along the lines of loneliness and depression through to hope and recovery as the album progresses. Maja Shining is a phenomenal vocalist with a great range from a melodic style to full on metal roar, which thankfully she does not abuse. It's well worth checking out.

20. Dreadnought

Oops, my error. I read too quickly (on a moving phone) and thought you said "can't get past them". Cool either way but "can" is cooler. :uhhuh:

Vocals...did this guy pour a jug of honey down his own throat? Smoooooth. :thumbsup:

Stormrider77 and GodShifter like this.
  21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Thoroughly enjoying the new Resurrection Kings disc (with Craig Goldy and Vinny Appice)
    The six+ minute Fallin' For You is epic and has some killer, killer lead work from Goldy.

22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

My suggestion for introductory Voivod would be Nothingface.

From a chronological standpoint, few bands are more interesting than these Canadians. The progression from Rrrrroooaaaarrr to Nothingface is fascinating.

23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Fans of Hardline and Axel Rudi Pell might be interested in vocalist Johnny Gioeli's new solo album via PledgeMusic.

If you haven't done one, it's pretty cool. You "back" an artist and pick one of their packages (anything from a digital download to a CD to handwritten lyrics to house parties, etc.) and when the project is funded you get charged. Once the project is finished you get what you paid for. I've done several of these and it's a lot of fun as you are part of the process and there are usually lots of updates and behind the scenes things.

24. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Interesting note that I read yesterday. Nonpoint are planning on recording their next album live to analog tape.

25. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

The Sanctuary albums have been remastered and released as a double CD. I had it and sold it. Too loud for that good old music...