The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Stormrider77 likes this.
  2. old school

old school Senior Member

Thanks for the reply but I have single CDs coming. The first has a 1988 date the second has a 1990 date with no mention of being remastered. I saw the twofer and stayed away from it for the reasons you mentioned.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Yes, the original CD versions sound very good, but I prefer the dutch vinyl versions.

old school likes this.
  4. old school

old school Senior Member

At my age I grew up with vinyl! I don't do much vinyl anymore, It's too much of a hassle at my age. I still have at least 1,000 albums in my collection
    which I acquired back in the 60s and 70s.

5. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I have 1600 albums in my vinyl collection and for me it's never a hassle...I really enjoy playing my records :)

old school likes this.
  6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

New Candiria

7. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Metal Church's video off their upcoming new album is available. Mike Howe comes out of nowhere and 20 years later pretty much sounds like he never missed a beat. The same thought I had about John Arch on 2011's Arch/Matheos: Sympatetic Resonance.

I would argue that Metal Church's Gods of Wrath remains one of the best metal ballad every composed.

8. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Yea, so good...

Trillmeister and Jeff Kent like this.
  9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Agreed. The song is a bit underwhelming, but Howe sounds great.

Badlands is also an amazing song.

10. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I hadn't played Metallica for a long time; didn't really get into them until a 'eureka' moment during 'Puppets and Thrash's first era, before getting a little bored of them by 1988/9 and later whilst enjoying the sights and sounds of the Floridian Gulf coast in the mid 90s, being assured by an assistant in a branch of 'Sam Goody' that I "really needed their latest record" which I don't think has been sampled more than thrice ever since but...

'Seek And Destroy.'

A bit like willfully cuing up the brace of 'Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid' from 'Zep II, dividends are sometimes so incalculable in the reaping that simple deference to long established milestones which are simply so irrepressibly great - in the classic, Greek sense - often remains all there is to do.

Cluck me sideways, this is just primal; so savage and raw but in just the most exquisite measures and Ulrich's drums are the aural equivalent of a furious flurry from Mr. Hagler at his absolute peak.

I doubt we'll ever hear its like again.

Rapid Fire and Dreadnought like this.
  11. Trillmeister

Cheers, Jeff, that's really good. :thumbsup:

The 'Church were yet another one of those bands who I (ludicrously) dismissed as 'bandola' at the time and almost certainly because I was too busy digesting other works du jour - but boy - I was missing out, evidently. I heard them all over but didn't hear them, you know?

The vocalist sounds a bit like Dee Schneider's younger brother and the chops of the rest of the chaps are terrific: proper, non-shortarsed Metal, despite a video which goes some way to defining my disdain for the visual medium when it comes to listening to Creedware.

OK, somebody tell me which albums to go to Discogs for, ta?

12. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

David Wayne was the singer on the first two albums: Metal Church and The Dark. He left the band and formed a band called Wayne. Mike Howe replaced him and they did the excellent Blessing In Disguise (that featured 'Badlands'), The Human Factor, Hanging In The Balance the latter two weren't well received by the masses, but became cult favorites. Wayne came back for Masterpeace which was iffy. David Wayne died in 2005 after a car accident. Ronny Munroe joined to record The Weight of the World, A Light In The Dark, This Present Wasteland nd Generation Nothing which were all hit or miss. Kurdt Vanderhoof has been the one driving force behind the band over the years. He also did a couple solo projects.

I give him props for pushing on, but in retrospect maye they should have shelved the band rather than release 50/50 albums.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with the first 4 or 5 albums.

Trillmeister likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Lots of hardcore Metal Church fans swear by the David Wayne years, but I'd recommend Blessing in Disguise as their best album. It's certainly my favorite.

Their guitarist, Kurdt Vanderhoof, who writes most of their material does not appear on that album (they hired Metallica roadie, John Marshall to replace him) but he did write a lot of the songs on it. His other projects, particularly Hall Aflame and Vanderhoof, are also worth looking into.

Trillmeister likes this.
  14. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

If you saw Metallica after James' Montreal burn incident then you saw John Marshall play with them. The guy is at least 8 feet tall, you can't miss him.

I haven't heard Hall Aflame, but I have one of the Vanderhoof albums. It has a very 70s hard rock vibe.

I like Dave and Mike equally and love the first three albums. I have to admit that I sort of lost interest after Blessing In Disguise when I went to college and got more into 'alternative' music.

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Sorry, this Badlands is horrible!!! The song, production and mix!

16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

NotOneStraw and Dreadnought like this.
  17. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

The debut has been a mainstay of the past 6 months. I'll have to move onward. Frankly I never get past "In the Blood" as I can't kick the crack labeled "repeat". That or, less insidiously, my heart is a stylus too easily stuck in a groove.

I read "chuck" and instantly thought of bodily injury. :doh:

Speaking of obsession and love how many times can I purchase these reissues? The 2016 batch. Those plus the tix; I continue to sell my financial soul for Rock 'n' Roll. As far as I know I'm only living once. :edthumbs:

Off topic a touch but I just saw a young lady in the local sub sandwich shop with "Trouble" in a sweet arc across the upper back of her leather jacket and "Maker" across the bottom with some unknown emblem in the centre. (Oh if I were half my age!) I could have stolen a pic but I think that's not right without asking. Anyway, just wondering if anyone here was so emblazoned in their youth with graphics. We made due with the lowly black marker on denim and a few small patches. Only one who had their literally blue haired, embroidery mad, grandmother in residence rose above.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2016
  18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    This one?

Dreadnought likes this.
  19. Dreadnought

Yes Jeff, that's it! :righton: What's it all about? Edit: firing up boogle. Edit2: oh...seems just a generic style thing. I was hoping the neighbourhood was going to be overrun by tough girls. :D
    Well, it sure beats the crap out of "Nike" or some other meaningless logo. I like the attitude.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  20. Trillmeister

Oh, Mikey, I might start weeping!

Certainly c.1980 (it may have been 1979) but I do recall the patchwork becoming something akin to Idi Amin's military medals which always struck me as simply naff.

No, the piece de resistance was a selective array of noms du jour, usually orbiting a Black Sabbath motif arranged in the manner of a cross (not inverted, I hasten to add.)

It was fairly tame stuff but at the time and in the words of Mr. Faith, "simple, beautiful, classic;" you know, UFO, Saxon, Motörhead, Rush, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Scorpirons with maybe the odd Thin Lizzy and for the real cognoscenti, what else but Blue Öyster Cult?

(Oh and Rainbow, how could I forget? Usually the emblem which framed the whole, in a tasteful arc from shoulder-to-shoulder.)

Dreadnought likes this.
  21. Dreadnought

I definitely recall the BOC symbol infrequently displayed. Oh, and the back-slapping mockery upon he who left out an "E" for the ubiquitous LZ. A search of images and you are correct about various dictator's generals. They even have a name, "battle jackets"! Gezz, a bit much. It looks as though we preceded full blown jacket plumage in 1977, etc. The best looking from this image search is the relatively conservative black metal spawn, with just a touch of red. Right, they do have a very limited colour pallete.

[​IMG]

22. Dreadnought

Dreadful. An absolutely unfocused mess as well as lacking a band of primary, secondary devotion. Where on Earth is the collar?

[​IMG]

Rapid Fire likes this.
  23. GodShifter

The jacket would be much cooler if you took off the "maker" and put "Def American" instead :D.

Sentient Six and Dreadnought like this.
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The new Jerry Gaskill "Love and Scars" deserves some love imo, if you like King's X, get this now, it's fantastic.

Matthew Tate, wdiv, slipkid and 2 others like this.
  25. GodShifter

I loved his first effort. I'll definitely seek this out. I think have every solo and side project that the guys in King's X have done.

Matthew Tate and Jeff Kent like this.