The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

This was my gateway to Motorhead. I love this album yet I don't hear as much about it.

2. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Still one of my favorite death metal albums.

3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

A pair of bands from the vaults that have been in rotation this week. 1985

Trillmeister likes this.
  4. Dreadnought

Which Witch is which? :confused:
    I can't keep my Witch named bands straight and somehow overlooked these guys thinking I'd already heard them. 1998.

GodShifter and Stormrider77 like this.
  5. Dreadnought

I've had Candlemass untouched on the shelf for ages because I always shift my hand and opt for high caffeine stuff but this pre-Candlemass has grabbed hold. Specifically it's the chorus. So sweet.

6. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Just :righton:

7. Trillmeister

Egad! :tsk:

PoiFECTION! [bar the ridiculous drum sound by Heaven 17 or some such mincosity.]

8. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

I finally listened to Soto's Divak, and while not as good as the previous album (just my opinion) it's still pretty solid.

**Disclaimer - I am a Jeff Scott Soto fan anyway

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Dreadnought

I forgot to mention upon receiving the previous issue that yes indeed it is a fun magazine. This one came yesterday and it had stuff. Love getting stuff. Drink coasters and a near 100 page mini book of interviews/essays. One would fairly assume that "100 Greatest Albums of the 70s" would be a ho-hum predictable affair but no this is not. I counted 16 bands that I've never even heard of. (Going to have to check out #59 first. How can I resist "Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters"?!!!! :laugh:)
    Of course Zep is there at #4 but it's the bootleg "Live On Blueberry Hill. Wow, didn't see that coming! #2 Sabotage and #1 AC/DC's Powerage, with full or near full page essays. Is it correct? Who cares, it's a fun list.

[​IMG]

Re Candlemass
    It's not gone well. I listened to albums 1 to 3. Like warmed taffy stretched out and unnecessarily operatic vocal I snapped half way through album 3's "Ancient Dreams" the song. When I was a kid I used to apply a finger to the record and either speed up or slow down the music if I thought it was required. Just for fun I once made Johnny Rotten a furious Michael Jackson of the Jackson Five era. I'd be putting the speedy finger to Candlemass. I like their first Epicus Doomicus Metallicus the most and will spend more time with it.

Rapid Fire and slipkid like this.
  10. Dreadnought

Pre-Candlemass Nemesis is definitely rudimentary by comparison but rudimentary and yet right for me. Interesting to compare my posting above of Black Messiah by Nemesis and the reworked later version by Candlemass. The Nemesis version is beautiful.

11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Sentient Six likes this.
  12. Dreadnought

Tribulation's Children of the Night (2015) caught my ear from the start but only indulging now. Not the best track on the album but an example of what I run into so often: so-so song, blah, blah, blah vocals and luscious guitar solo after 2:50. Not complaining but just wishing for more. I suppose it is a bit too Opeth-esque (not a bad thing).

13. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

14. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

Needle and Suture is great

keefer1970 likes this.
  15. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

16. Dreadnought

Call Dr. Van Helsing for I'm falling under the spell of these leathery winged musicians. Their 2013 album is far more instrumental and a big jug of hypno-decaf for me.

17. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

19. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Regarding the new Ihsahn - Arktis vinyl record. Wrote this on the discogs page, I will copy it here too since I have had no replies yet:

"So how many of you have problems with side C and D of this vinyl record? There is a constant rotating surface noise on almost every quiet passage, specially on side D. I have two copies of these bought from different places and I cleaned both with Okki Nokki. They also had other problems - a huge scratch and some minor non-fill at the end of side B for example."

20. Dreadnought

Nothing tops having zero tolerance for the slightest annoyance (visual migraine aura thing) after work and randomly selecting a song of a band you never really knew, were never in rotation and it is a bomb of a balm. Sweet, blessed relief for being so damn right in every possible way. Thank you Thin Lizzy! Chose the Peel for having a little extra citrus.

laf848, gromich, Deuce66 and 2 others like this.
  21. Trillmeister

At their best, 'Lizzy were a match for anything and anyone; a bit like UFO.

I prefer the album version proper which is so heavy that little black holes (of the cosmic, anti-matter variety) appear alongside my speakers' mid-range drivers during playback.

By far the 'coolest' band I ever saw upon a concert stage: uncorrupted, musical manna.

GodShifter and Dreadnought like this.
  22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Weird, I had one after work last night too. Was trying to watch the Flyers/Caps game when I got home (taped it while I was at work). Migraine auras are unspeakable torture to me. Especially when I get them AT WORK, which I do quite often lately. Anyways, back to music....

Dreadnought likes this.
  23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I hope you did actually get that box, but sad to say my copy of "Dizzcography" came in the mail today from Amazon UK and it is as I feared. It is NOT the 4 CD Dizzcography box at all. It is a slipcase repackaged version of the remastered first two Dizzy studio albums that are half of that boxset. I checked back on Amazon and that listing page has been changed, the entire 4 disc description part with the tracklistings has been removed (and it is only offered for sale by some private seller in the UK, Amazon themselves have no more copies for sale, so the price I saw was too good to be true - only cost me a total of $13.19 - and I guess at that price it got snapped up by a lot of people who are going to be a bit disappointed). I have contacted Amazon to complain & will see what they do. Still not a bad price for two albums but I already have multiple copies of them (original Danish versions, original Japanese versions, and the remasters from Dizzography as well). Guess I'll just give it away to a friend....sigh...

24. Dreadnought

One thing that fascinates me with Thin Lizzy is their narrated tales. I don't know if I'm correct but it shouts "Irish literary tradition" to me. I was always interested in why some countries have a disproportionate population/ creative genius ratio: Irish writers, Australian film makers, Jamaican musicians. "The Hero and the Madman" was the first Thin Lizzy that grabbed me earlier this year. As for "Johnny" it's not a distrust of studio recordings, which would be absurd, but just in hearing the live version it thumps me in the head with such timing and precision I say to myself "they were really that good".

I've been so fortunate to be a once a year guy but lately I'm being plagued biweekly. Don't know why. Damn these fragile human bodies. Yet in another stroke (shouldn't use that word) of post-work good fortune I don't even remember how it got cued up but what a fun little energetic rocker this is.

GodShifter likes this.
  25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Mine hasn't arrived yet...but I guess I'm prepared for it at least!