The Official "Apple Digital Masters / Mastered for iTunes" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Apr 19, 2014.

1. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Keep an eye out for Lou's solo albums, considering 24/96 versions have just started appearing at the usual online stores.

lbangs likes this.
  2. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

This is actually how I ran across the Velvet Underground albums... :)

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

GetHappy!! likes this.
  3. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Here is some interesting proof from an interview with The Crystal Method that the Mastered for iTunes program will and does reject albums...

Asked, "When you hear the phrase “mastered for iTunes,” do you cringe?"

"Our mastering was considered “too hot” for them, actually. We had 88/24 masters, and we tried doing it multiple times to get the master “right” for them. There’s some meter thing they use, and our levels were too hot and too high for them. (laughs)"

Source

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

crispi, coffeetime and GetHappy!! like this.
  4. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

As expected, we have the Roth-era Van Halen albums added now...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

Panama Jack and coffeetime like this.
  5. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

I have the MfiT, Bobby Hutcherson - Total Eclipse and it sounds very nice to me. Bought it because i couldn't find the CD at a reasonable price, but am happy with the MfiT. Will check out more.

lbangs likes this.
  6. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

EDIT: Mr Bangs, as ever, is ahead of me. :) Superfluous post regarding the original DLR era Van Halen catalogue now being MFiT deleted.

7. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Oddly enough, Derek & The Dominos In Concert is Mastered for iTunes, while Layla is not...

The upcoming Sinatra material appears headed to this thread.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

GetHappy!! likes this.
  8. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Iron Maiden's catalogue now Mastered for iTunes!

No idea how they sound yet, will check them out over the next couple of days. Hopefully a serious, dynamic improvement over the 1998 CD remasters. If they are any good then does anyone know what the going rate for a kidney is on eBay?

A decent digital master of Seventh Son? I might need to go and have a little lie down....

lbangs likes this.
  9. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Rather than creating a duplicate post, I've quoted the comments from Steve Harris et al regarding the MFiT Iron Maiden catalogue in the Iron Maiden Remasters thread. All good! heading out to the supermarkets after work to pick up some discounted iTunes cards :righton:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    The Seeker and lbangs like this.
  10. J_P

J_P Well-Known Member

First off, I 'd like to say I'm a big fan of what Apple is doing with the MFIT standards. Keep the MFIT albums coming. Can't wait to dive into the new Iron Maiden stuff.

The new Nightwish album is MFIT. Sounds fantastic!

Also discovered this morning that Journey's Greatest Hits is now MFIT. I purchased the non MFIT and was able to download the MFIT as a free upgrade.

I thought I'd also throw my 2 cents in on the new Ozzy MFIT albums. I think they sound great. I own the CD of Diary of a Madman and actually preferred the new MFIT version to the CD. Didn't sound as overly bright as the CD did. The MFIT was overall more pleasant to my ears. I purchased many of the Ozzy MFIT and am pleased with the sound quality of all of them.

Master_It_Right, crispi and lbangs like this.
  11. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

How us the Journey compared to the not MFIT release?

12. J_P

J_P Well-Known Member

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Discovered it was MFIT this morning just before heading out to work.

13. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Heads up: Lou Reed's new remasters are now "MfiT".

lbangs likes this.
  14. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

With the release of his new album, Kendrick Lamar's terrific previous album, good kid, m.A.A.d city, is also now Mastered for iTunes.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

coffeetime likes this.
  15. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

Heart S/T MFiT sounds awesome!

lbangs likes this.
  16. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I have been enjoying Cream Live Vol 1 MFiT a hell of a lot. Still waiting for the UK site to update with more Cream MFiT they seem a bit lame in doing so. US site has Derek & Dominos Live UK nothing.

coffeetime likes this.
  17. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

What have you compared it to? Love this album.

Pat

18. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

The Live Cream Vol II MFiT sounds pretty great too.

19. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Yes I have demo'd from US site but I can't download grrrrrrrr

20. Master_It_Right

The only other version of the album I own is the Mushroom Records LP. Then again I don't have a super high quality turntable either. There is also an older DCC CD but idk how the MFiT compares to that.

21. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm massively enjoying this album as well, but - as with all symphonic metal - the production is so far from SHF aesthetics that the mastering is hardly going to make a difference: when you have an acoustic guitar that is basically as loud as an orchestra, choir and rock band simultaneously going full tilt, there's very little opportunity for a mastering engineer to squash the dynamic range any more than it already is!

22. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Well that sucks. You would think that if one were available, then both would be. Then again, that seems to make a little too much sense!

23. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Sounds like your talking about Dreamboat Annie and not the 1985 self titled album.

Pat

Master_It_Right likes this.
  24. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Just snagged I Can't Stand Still as that cd is rather expensive new and my DAP's line outs are at least the equal of a cd player!

25. Master_It_Right

yes sorry that's what i meant