The Official "Apple Digital Masters / Mastered for iTunes" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

Def Leppard's entire catalog is now back on iTunes and in MFiT

Edited to add: Apparently, Slang, Mirrorball, and a few other things not MFiT

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  2. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Hysteria looks to be the original 1987 album, not the rerecord. Can anyone confirm yet? (At work and not in a position to use my headphones and find out).

If so, I'm all over Hysteria & Pyromania if the mastering isn't awful.

3. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Co-workers bought me an iTunes gift card-plan on picking up some Def Leppard.

coffeetime likes this.
  4. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Finally getting to hear Hysteria via Apple Music. Sounds pretty damned good here; that said the last time I heard the album through was over 25 years ago on a cassette dubbed from vinyl on a less than optimal boombox. Given that, it's hardly surprising that it would sound better.

Better than that though is its taking me right back to getting the album on cassette for Christmas 1987. Loved Pyro, loved Hysteria. Everything after that left me cold back in the day. Maybe time to revisit via AM. Hysteria, like the recent listening to Whitesnake's 1987, holds up rather well indeed, production and all.

Safe to say MFiT Hysteria will be getting bought, only question is regular or Deluxe version.

Streamingmylife likes this.
  5. musicdav24

musicdav24 Forum Resident

Hi everyone. Can anyone comment on the overall sound quality of the Def Leppard MFIT? Are they remastered? Thx

6. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

Sound quality in the samples appears to be fantastic!! As I mentioned in the Lep thread, I think Pyromania, Hysteria, Adrenalize, and Slang are the remastered versions (remember, for some reason Slang is not MFiT), but some in other threads are saying that although OTTN and H&D appear to be remastered, it's been done well and they sound great.

Streamingmylife and coffeetime like this.
  7. Streamingmylife

Streamingmylife Forum Resident

Thanks. I think they did the right thing to offer reasonable pricing for this much pirated catalog. Will buy a few.

8. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin Well-Known Member

The new deluxe version of Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac is MFiT. Sounds pretty good to these ears.

Jesper Nielsen likes this.
  9. Jesper Nielsen

Jesper Nielsen Senior Member

I really hope Rumours will be MFiT soon!..

Togo likes this.
  10. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

A great thread which I reference often - lots of helpful information here. :thumbsup:

It made me wonder if someone should start an "Official Apple Music Thread". Seems like a natural progression.

Streamingmylife, Togo and coffeetime like this.
  11. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Not a new release or anything but I'm really enjoying the MFiT of Jean-Michel Jarre's Oxygene. Definitely need a MFiT of Vangelis' 1994 Blade Runner album to keep it company, ideally mastered from the superb Kevin Gray hi-res master for Audio Fidelity's SACD.

Count me in. Would love to be able to follow playlist links fellow forumites recommendations.

12. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

That's a great idea.

13. Streamingmylife

Rolling Stones - blue and lonesome is back down on price in case you missed it. Also the standard issue of Metallica - Hardwired... Both are at €6.99. Confirmed for Sweden and Germany store.

PS: disappointing that Apple does not allow app "cheapcharts" anymore for new users. Happy to have it as it lists when itunes albums go on sale in various countries.

Togo likes this.
  14. Streamingmylife

Bought Wayne Shorter - Juju. Great album, MFiT and cheap at the moment in SE store.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  15. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I wish Apple would start making their downloads Apple Lossless.

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil is another good one.

Togo, Panama Jack and Streamingmylife like this.
  16. Streamingmylife

Good prices at the moment on Zappa catalog here. Many are MFiT.

17. Anyone else experienced an album becoming MFiT only to be removed from that format weeks later? This has happened to two albums I purchased specifically for MFiT - Trainspotting Soundtrack (original movie) and New Order's Power, Corruption, & Lies (the blue MFiT has disappeared from the file listing - on iTunes the album is listed as MFiT, but it is the only album of the 8 listed on iTunes that when you click into the album listing does not have the blue MFiT box). I had the original Trainspotting version from iTunes, but opted to buy the MFiT because it is such an incredible album. Now MFiT has completely gone from the listing even on iTunes. Feel like I was ripped off there.
    Also, David Bowies recent release of A New Career In Town was posted on his web site as being "MFiT" however, there is no mention or listing on iTunes of it being MFiT. In fact, the quality of the recordings are absolutely terrible. I was hoping that the MFiT version would have made a vast difference. A NEW CAREER IN A NEW TOWN (1977 – 1982) - David Bowie Official Blog

coffeetime likes this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Do your ears a favor and grab the old mastering for that New Order title.
    With these MFITS most are just re-leveling the brick to get the tag (IMO)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  19. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin Well-Known Member

Well now - all the Deluxe versions of Kinks, Kinda Kinks, and the Kink Kontroversy that I downloaded through Apple Music are no longer available via the US Apple store. Has this happened to anyone before?

20. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Not with the Kinks but did happen with Radiohead. The 2CD Collectors Editions of their EMI albums, album + era specific B sides & EP tracks, were withdrawn when their catalogue moved to the band’s own label. Definitely a case of buying anything one becomes really attached to.

21. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Not Apple Music but buying: I was collecting the Beatles US albums, little by little. I would buy a few tracks at a time. I completed 3 albums (Revolver, Rubber Soul, and Y&T), with the beginnings of one or two others.

Then one day I logged into the store and discovered the individual US albums were no longer available. Only the box set could be purchased, and my individual albums gave me no credit towards completing the box set. (I emailed them a couple of times asking for help in this area, and they didn't even bother to reply.)

22. Jesper Nielsen

Jesper Nielsen Senior Member

Not about MFiT, but I need help.. Any way to see if an album is a special price on iTunes? (Before and after price) - I can't figure it out if some of Depeche Mode albums is an offer..

23. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

There is an iOS app (assuming you have an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch) called CheapCharts that tracks prices over time in the iTunes. The Danish iTunes Store is supported.

The application mainly tracks films, music and books currently on offer or have dropped in price. You can search for an individual item. At the bottom of the items screen, there is a section called Price Trend that shows the change in price over time, the dates on which price changed and colour coded for red = price increase, green = price drop, gold = lowest ever price.

I find it pretty useful for getting hold of the exact information you’re looking for.

Scopitone and Jesper Nielsen like this.
  24. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Not strictly MFiT related but it looks like iTunes LP has reached the end of the line.

Apple confirms it will stop taking iTunes LP submissions as of this month

It hasn’t looked good that iOS never got iTunes LP support even though the iPad is a better candidate for lying back and browsing through iTunes LP content whilst listening to the music, either through the iPad itself or the hifi.

That each succesive release of iOS has failed to support the format should have revealed the writing on the wall.

I’ve already extracted the booklet .jpg files from Beatles US Albums and Box Sets for iPad browsing alongside the usual .pdf digital booklets. Time to do the same with others (Beatles BBC, Pink Floyd iTunes Experience editions, initial Queen Deluxe albums and similar). Although the article says iTunes LP support is not going away and can still be downloaded, I’d expect this to disappear from the store and desktop iTunes no longer supporting it.

That iOS hasn’t supported pdf digital booklet downloads directly from the iTunes Store suggests that digital booklets may not be too far behind being dropped either.

A great shame as iTunes LP could impress when done well even if one had to be sat in front of a desktop copy of iTunes to use it, rather than lounging on the sofa with an iPad. Bought more than one expensive digital box set, in part because the liner notes etc were available with the digital purchase.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  25. ozmosis82

ozmosis82 Well-Known Member

Most of Tom Waits’ discography has been MFiT. (Look for the “(Remastered)” versions.)