The one album you would play for a friend getting into lp's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary Edward Link, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Well-Known Member

Dark Side is a good choice since most issues of it have a great sound to it.
    But what I want to introduce people to is "listening" to music in general, moving away from music as background noise, and for that I think there is no better than Wish You Were Here.
    Vinyl for me is more getting into music than it is about sound. Because once you get into sound over music youre going down down down the rabbit hole.

I have done this to 3 friends already and they come out of it with a new understanding of what music can be. Not individual songs or playlists on Spotify, but an album, a story, an experience.

But first I like to ask what they want to hear.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    CBS 65780 likes this.
  2. Leonthepro

I cant wait to hear that when I get it.

3. stephenlee

stephenlee Forum Resident

Definitely an audiophile disc, to best show off the capabilities of vinyl. Maybe something like this direct-to-disc gem:

[​IMG]

4. Kevin j

Kevin j Forum Resident

5. 14 Cheerleader Coldfront

14 Cheerleader Coldfront Well-Known Member

Beck Sea Change MOFI

6. Hadean75

Hadean75 Well-Known Member

This. :agree:

7. John54

John54 Forum Resident

I don't think anyone ever "gets into LPs"; either they like music or they don't. Personally I almost always think in terms of songs rather than albums, but I buy albums based on availability, bang for the buck and the likelihood that one good song by a band might hint at the presence of several more.

Much would depend on the kind of music a person likes. Foxtrot by Genesis is an excellent LP that I would recommend, but not everyone likes progressive rock. I wouldn't think that a person would stop "getting into LPs" if you played him the wrong LP.

8. aakko

aakko Active Member

KG/SH remaster of Blue.

9. Leonthepro

Depends, if you show them what led you to like vinyl then they might follow. You can also learn to like music through LPs.

Hadean75 likes this.
  10. Gary Edward Link

Gary Edward Link Member Thread Starter

Do they do a Dead Kennedy's cover?

11. The 33rpm Classics version is also superb but the 45 takes it by a close margin.

12. Leonthepro

I do hate to turn sides so many times, but it might just be worth it for this.

13. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Just play them "Purple Haze" from "Are You Experienced" loud. If they have have a pulse at all, it will blow their socks off!

[​IMG]

:)

Lonevej, tinnox and Linto like this.
  14. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

It needs to be something they like, first off. I'm certainly not going to play them a Shostakovich symphony if they'd rather hear Aerosmith.