The ONE Rare record you'd love to find (at a good price)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

I know many members here have a long list of rare records they'ed like to find at a somewhat affordable price but what ONE record tops your list?

For me it was the 12" Glow in the dark picture disc of Bauhaus-Bella Lugosi's Dead which I was just able to find tonight at a (reasonable) price online in Japan for $34 (usually go for double that).My new top vinyl want is a "Blood Splatter Vinyl" Deathproof OST but price is usually over $100 for that one.

Gavinyl likes this.
  2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

There really are not many I am searching for at this point. A lot of them I have found over the years. But, I would not turn down a VG copy of a Led Zeppelin II with RL mastering for less than $40. I know I'm dreaming that will ever happen, but I still look whenever I see a copy of LZ II.

Cardanken, kozy814 and Gavinyl like this.
  3. baroquehoedown33

baroquehoedown33 Electro-synthemagnetic musical dork

The Dead Weather triple decker record. For those who aren't aware, it's a THICK 12'' single that you must CUT OPEN to retrieve a hidden 45 wedged inside. This thing goes for $600 to $1000 every time it's on eBay. I can't spend that much on a record. I would love to have purchased it for its original price...until then, I keep dreaming.

dennis1077 likes this.
  4. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I'm still on the lookout for Rush's first album on the Moon Records label and also their very first single, Not Fade Away/You Can't Fight It on 45. Very rare records and they command quite a bit of money.

dennis1077 and Jimmy Agates like this.
  5. eb2jim

eb2jim Forum Resident

An original nm Carl Perkin's Dance Album on Sun, or better yet on Quality Canada.

6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

It can happen to you, I promise. Effort and patience are involved, but it's very doable!

Tensilversaxes and CCrider92 like this.
  7. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Lisa Hannigan's Sea Sew. It was only available on her tour, and the few times she was playing in town I couldn't make it. I think her recording process was a lo-fi / low budget affair so I can't imagine it sounding that much better than the CD, but I'm a big fan and would love to have it on my shelf.

Musicmatters likes this.
  8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The Rolling Stones S/T - 1st UK pressing with alternate take of Tell Me.

Vinyl Socks, Gavinyl and Sean like this.
  9. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Butcher cover has been on my want list since 1978. That + rarity + cost = it will likely always be at the top spot.

10. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

For me, it would probably be the Japanese white label promo of Kiss's first album (issued in 1976, after Alive!). I have all of the Japan white label promos through Alive II, and it's just something that hasn't come my way.

Of course, if someone out there has one, you know what to do!

11. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Not a record per se'.
    But, I'd be happy with finding a Street Fightin' Man original picture sleeve, at the bottom of brown paper bag full of old singles, like a friend of mine did about 10 years ago.

stonesstein, Fullbug and stetsonic like this.
  12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

A nice minty Best Of Muddy Waters or Howlin Wolf on Chess (original Black labels) would make me happy.

Revolver and Aftermath like this.
  13. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

Off The Wall Sampler lp or Spiritualized 12 cd version

14. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Alison Krauss New Favorite would be nice.

Geee! likes this.
  15. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Easy Baby and his Houserockers: Sweet Home Chicago Blues 1997 P Vine 1977 Barrelhouse Records

I've been looking for it for five years, and the closest I ever got was to get outbid at an ebay auction a couple of years ago....

16. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Probably a mono white label promo of Axis Bold as Love on Reprise

17. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

The Mothers of Invention, We're Only In It For the Money in mono. About five years ago I passed up a perfect UK copy without a cover that only ended up selling for 11 pounds. I still kick myself for not jumping on it.

18. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I got a promo mono version a couple years back for I think $3 at a flea market. I think it's VG or VG plus condition.

Scope J likes this.
  19. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

The Holy Grail for me would be one of the original 500 copies of Propeller from Guided By Voices. But since those rarely sell for under $700 (last one auctioned off on eBay went for $1,100), I'm not holding my breath.

More reachable would be Bee Thousand (also from Guided By Voices). That usually goes for $80 to $120. Still a little rich for my blood.

Jeff

jdrueke and Ha Ha Man like this.
  20. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Emmylou Harris: Wrecking Ball

21. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Hole - Celebrity Skin on original vinyl.

Lebowski and Fullbug like this.
  22. brain_spo0n

brain_spo0n Member

23. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i guess the velvet underground and nico...with peelable banana would be good....i actually held one in my hand was gonna buy it(anred this was back in the day so at retail cost)but put it back thinking i will get it next time......

Gavinyl likes this.
  24. bob338

bob338 Forum Resident

The Velvet Underground--All Tomorrow's Parties 7" single.
    I have a mono VU&Nico($11,) a mono WL/WH($13,) a mono 3rd($30,) even a mono Loaded($20,) but I've always wanted that first single. I've never even seen one in person. I've held a few Primitives singles, the Shades single, all the later VU singles,but never this one.
    I would even pay top dollar for one if it came up...but they never do.

Natural E, tremspeed, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  25. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

A blind willie johnson 78 on columbia (I saw a broken Bobby Blue Bland on Duke 78 this weekend for 99 cents !!)

Gavinyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.