"The Orville," sci-fi comedy series from Seth MacFarlane.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 15, 2017.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Seth MacFarlane has said that his goal with the new show was 3 things: 1) have a lighthearted, fun show; 2) avoid the dark, heavy, ultra-serious atmosphere the last few Trek shows have had; and 3) recall the 1960s show in terms of self-contained stories and back-and-forth banter with the regular characters.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Really liked ep5. Good story (a combo of a couple of TNG eps) and the jokes were quite funny and nicely integrated. Loved the meta comment about 'transporters being in our future' (wink).

The dark matter storm was a nice effect, but the less said about scientific accuracy of dark matter the better!

Kelly looked absolutely amazing in that black evening dress (rarrrrr), and the little Alara pixie - cute as a bugs ear! The entire cast is great in fact.

I'm really loving this show!

Higlander likes this.
  3. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

I agree I really love it after that Episode.
    The jokes were mostly funny, as I put myself in the right mood to get the vibe of the show.
    It is NOT Star Trek, but Star Trek, if Star Trek had been more fun and lively and entertaining!

I have been watching The Next Gen star treks recently, and while many are truly great, a lot are kinda boring, a bit stuffy and not lively at all.
    The first 2 seasons has a lot of clunkers also!

The latest movie series went for a too dark way out universe, same with discovery.
    I think this show is just right and silly and fun.

4. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Finally got around to watching the first five episodes. After the first one (which was pretty much introducing the characters interspersed with way too many silly jokes), the episodes have been surprisingly watchable and have ranged from good to excellent. The characters are interesting (except for the pilot guy, who I find incredibly annoying), and the stories have been pretty good. I actually care more about what's going to happen than I did in seven years of Voyager.

I'd actually like it if they made everything more serious and stopped trying to insert humor all the time, it really doesn't need it (a little goes a long way).

Interesting how much Star Trek alumni are involved. Jonathan Frakes and Robert Duncan McNeill have directed, Brannon Braga is an executive producer and has also directed. Also, Penny Johnson Jerald played a small but important part in DS9.

A lot better than what I was expecting.

Higlander likes this.
  5. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I'm liking the show. It does seem to be slowly finding its sea legs and is improving. I like the light-hearted nature even though some of the jokes fall flat. Hey, they can't all be home runs. Still, the practical joke part of episode 5 provided some hilarity.

Lownote30 and RK2249 like this.
  6. Higlander

Went back watched the first episode again....oddly enough I found it far better this time!

I think I was so worried about it being bad, I did not give it a chance.
    Honestly seemed like a very good regular Next Gen episode, but with some jokes.

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Spoken like somebody that's never seen a Seth MacFarlane show before. :p (granted, he's never done a drama before, but "a little goes a long way" is a proverb that isn't inherent at all in either Family Guy or American Dad)

8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Decent show was hoping for bit more humor.

9. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

It's clear from watching MacFarlane's other shows that he has a clear preference for "Star Trek TNG" over "TOS." I would imagine that's the one he grew up with, and it's clearly the blueprint for this show. I never really got too much into TNG myself, but my recollection is that it relied a lot more heavily on the interpersonal relationships of the crew members than "TOS" ever really touched on, and that seems to be a driving force of this show as well. I think the TOS aesthetic is a bit too hard to try and sell on a modern audience (except as parody, i.e., "Galaxy Quest").

Higlander likes this.
  10. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Yes, but those are comedies. I don't think this type of show lends itself well to constant silly jokes (unless they went full on into parody). I was just pointing out that they characters and stories haven't really needed it, the show is fine without it.

Deesky and Higlander like this.
  11. Higlander

I went back and spent a few hours and re-watched all of them and really see the appeal now.
    I think at first I was not sure how to take the show.

Honestly, the stories are quite good, the drama fairly light but somewhat realistic.
    Maybe it is the way I wish Star Trek (next gen) had been all along.
    It really seems like fairly decent Star Trek Next Gen Episodes with a bit of a spin on them.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Another great episode! The jokes are not only getting funnier, but they don't stick out like sore thumbs anymore, which is good.

What I appreciate about the show is that like all good Trek, the stories explore philosophical and ethical conundrums, as was the case here with the Krill (Jem'Hadar looking dudes in Cardasian garb :)) ship, including the fallout at the end. Excellent stuff!

kevywevy likes this.
  13. I thought this was the best episode yet. The humor on STTNG was often forced here it works. It's a more light hearted version of Trek. Kudos to Seth. I hope it lasts.

14. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Episodes 1 and 2 were lame, but 3 was a major step in quality (although I was saddened at its ending). Ep. 4 was definitely darker. I will keep watching, if only to see when or if the show realizes what it wants to be.

15. I think,it knows what it wants to be ST:TNG with a bit of humor injected

kevywevy likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The throwaway from the most recent episode about the Krill is that MacFarlane didn't have any problem with killing husbands of aliens on their ship by cranking the lights up... but sparing the children. That was a very, very, weird moment that I thought threw off the entire show.

17. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Who knows, by next week's show, The Krill bible may have a new book, the book of MacFarlane Avis...?

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't see it. My takeaway is quite different. This was basically a kill or be killed situation and he could have just easily destroyed everyone on the ship, yet he chose a riskier, ethical course of action by saving innocent children. The Union is clearly an ethical organization that instills honorable conduct in its officers. And the fact that that moment of mercy had a sting in its tail is what made the episode exceptional.

Blimpboy likes this.
  19. Rachael Bee

Your response is so very human. The Krill have probably put the souless Captain of the Orville on their ten most wanted list along with Don "n0-soul" Simmons... ;) and a bunch of other alien criminals. He will be hunted from the ends of the galaxies and beyond.

20. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Oh, Ed tasks the Krill he tasks them and they will chase Ed round the rings of Nimbia and through Perdition's flames before they give him up! Or so I hear.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    JPagan likes this.
  21. Rachael Bee

Ed will surely become more notorious than the cosmic criminal Kirk! ;)

22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

This show now seems so "plastic" in contrast to the increasingly good STAR TREK DISCOVERY.

23. Higlander

I hate to say this, but I expected to hate Orville, and kinda like Discovery, but find myself liking Orville more.

24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Just the opposite for me.

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Disagree. I prefer the visual aesthetic in Orville to Disco. The Disco aesthetic is so generic that it could be any Syfy scifi show. It looks no different than, say, The Expanse, which has the same fake, shiny/tinsely looking ships and other space structures. The Orville (the ship) looks more solid (as seen from space).

kevywevy and Higlander like this.