"The Orville," sci-fi comedy series from Seth MacFarlane.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 15, 2017.

1. John54

John54 Senior Member

I thought Quark was alright!

Aggie87 and Dr. Pepper like this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, they might also be able to spoof Discovery when it eventually makes it to screen, but it would have to be in the second season.

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I mean, Star Trek is so well established in popular culture that you could spoof it any time... there was just a movie last year. It just doesn't seem like a very fresh target.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

8 episodes and OUT! That's not good.

5. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Team Ficus!

Aggie87 and John54 like this.
  6. John54

John54 Senior Member

I had been under the impression that it was 12 episodes, but Wikipedia backs you up. I still thought it was pretty funny when I watched it ...

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I like Richard Benjamin as an actor -- quite a bit -- but this was not a good show.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Quark was a good deal of fun and I liked it as such.

Aggie87 likes this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Vidiot, not to defend Quark too much, though I liked it, you and I both know that there have been some brilliant series that have run just a few episodes because they were in the wrong time slot, up against a monster hit like, "I love Lucy", ahead of their time, studio didn't give them a chance, etc.

10. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I dunno ... "The Orville" sounds a bit too close to "The Awful" for my liking. But Brian The Dog playing Cap'n Kirk may be good for a larf. And the cast includes a super mega ultra lightning babe from "Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.", so the show has that going for it, which is nice.

--Geoff

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is true. And for all we know, Quark may be ten times better than Orville.

A couple of my favorite shows of all time got zero ratings: He & She from the 1960s was an amazing, insightful, very good show that won several Emmys but only lasted one season; Police Squad only lasted six episodes before being yanked, and it was hilarious... and eventually led to several hugely-successful Naked Gun movies. Crime Story was a series I actually worked on, and that didn't last long. So there are always exceptions. But I did watch several episodes of Quark when it was originally on, and thought it was just too stupid and cornball to work; I had the same problem with Mel Brooks' much higher-budget Spaceballs.

SandAndGlass and showtaper like this.
  12. Dr. Pepper

Thank you for a non-defensive thoughtful reply. We are so very lucky to have you around, you have given me a lot deeper insights into the inner workings of entertainment. For me, I licked Quark, but not so much Space Balls. Full disclosure, I was a horny early teen when Quark was on and I seem to remember that it pushed the sexual envelope right where I wanted it pushed at the time, so that is probably why I kind of have an overly positive skewed memory of the show.

Jarleboy and Vidiot like this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

So, you never licked Space Balls? :tiphat:

14. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

You beat me to it :laugh:

showtaper and Dr. Pepper like this.
  15. I'm going to watch this but having seen every episode of "Red Dwarf" (s1-8 multiple, multiple times) I don't know if I'll find it funny or not.

You see, in the early 1990's there was a BBC series called "Maid Marian And Her Merry Men" which I watched and enjoyed. Halfway through that show's run, the entirely unrelated movie came out "Robin Hood: Men In Tights", which I found hideously unfunny. To the extent of "That was meant to be a joke?", a criticizm I don't use that often. My mother, who is at the right age to be a huge Mel Brooks fan, had the same reaction. But she re-watched it a few years later, what with "Maid Marian" having finished it's run and seldom repeated, and she said the film is much much better when the MMahMM show is not so fresh in your memory. One day I'll give "Men In Tights" another go, although having just gotten "Maid Marian" on DVD, I think I'll have to wait a few more years yet!

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. Dr. Pepper

Wouldn't you lick to know? I mean like...not again!:doh:

17. John54

John54 Senior Member

Did you prefer Betty, or Betty?

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Man, I actually remember that joke... so maybe a little bit of Quark stuck with me, 40 years later.

John54 likes this.
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

20. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

wasnt that a childrens programme though?

21. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

I love Seth McFarlane and almost everything he does is hilarious but judging by the trailer, this looks abysmal.

I'll give it a shot, of course.

22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

23. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

its not going to be as pun-ny as everybody thinks - they played up the goofy stuff on the trailer -but- Ive been reading a lot of the interviews with former Trek alum who are working on the show - and some of them swear its good sci-fi - there will be more serious episodes ...etc - Star Trek TNG was pretty awful in its first season -this just looks way way better than the dreck that CBS is putting out (to me...at least)

Deesky likes this.
  24. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Reviews be damned, I'm going to watch the pilot and decide for myself whether or not I like it.

CBC, will_b_free and agentalbert like this.