"The Orville," sci-fi comedy series from Seth MacFarlane.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 15, 2017.

1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Good news everyone. Seth must have read my wishlist because season 2 will have more episodes (though not too many more than S1) and there will be a tonal shift in the narrative. The episodes will be much more focused on scifi drama rather than jokes, which is fine in my book.

The only downside is that S2 won't arrive in 2018, bummer. There's apparently too much to be done to make it this year. Still, I'm delighted by the news.

The Orville season 2: more episodes, more sci-fi, less comedy

Vidiot, Kyhl, davidb1 and 3 others like this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Definitely. Babylon 5 didn't really hit its' dramatic stride until after it ran through its' "obligatory" light-hearted, character-driven, setting-expository, single-episode stories. Once the ominous themes started becoming teased with each cliff-hanger, that was when the show really became Must-Tape Teevee. And although the first season "big bad" on ST:TNG was a good warmup, that show didn't really distinguish itself until Locutus started glowering.

We've had plenty of snark, whimsey and even chortles from Mercer and his crew...time to make the story really go somewhere...no reason the yuks can't keep bubblin' while putting up the continuity to match Seth's passion!

3. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

why the delay......Trek always made 20+ episode seasons - year after year - has he been hanging around with the Rick and Morty guys....

4. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Part of it may be, that Orville tends to do a bit more on location (outdoors) shooting. I can not remember how many episodes were shot off the sound stage, but it seemed to be about half or so.
    But Trek, seemed (as much as I love it) to often have several "filler" episodes per season also.
    I like Seth's idea of trying to do quality over quantity.

I think the "New TV" idea is less episodes, and more focus on story and keeping things well done.
    I do not see the Orville as typical Network TV, but almost more as a cable or netflix type of show, yes even though it is on a network.

Hadean75 likes this.
  5. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I must say, I had my doubts about this show when I first saw the pilot. But man, it got better fast! It definitely became must watch television for me every Thursday night. I so cannot wait for season 2.

6. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

That is good news. I'll give it a try again in S2. And I don't mind them taking their time. I'd rather it be better.

I really wanted it to work but couldn't take it anymore after forcing myself to sit through S1 E2.

7. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

I hated it at first, could barely sit through a few episodes, then something just "clicked" and I felt like I finally got what it was meant to be.
    May not happen for you, but I see it morphing into the only Decent Sci-fi show that is about exploring space since Star Trek went off the air.

Don’t Give Up on The Orville Too Quickly

The new Star Trek Discover series, is taking things a much different route. Good in a different way, but just not exactly what I see Star Trek as.

8. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

Also delighted, but wow, this seems like a long delay.

I wonder what accounts for the delay? Major reworking, crafting storylines or busy schedules?

Will tune in sometime in 2019 I guess...

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Seth did say that a show like that takes time to put together. Also, the next season will have slightly more eps and they will be more 'serious' in nature, which no doubt will take more effort. But you also cannot discount Seth's busy schedule with other projects.

I guess it depends when in 2019 season two will air. If it's in the first few months of the year, then it won't be so bad, but if it's towards the end of the year...yeah, too long a wait! But the wait will be somewhat mitigated by the return of The Expanse.

reapers likes this.
  10. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Heh, be happy it's not Taboo. Season 1 aired Spring 2017.
    Season 2 is scheduled to start filming in April 2018. Lucky to see season 2 in less than two years after season one. :sigh:

11. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I hated the first two episodes, but for some reason I stuck with it. Episode 3 improved and while it was shaky as the season progressed, overall I think it found its footing and I thought it was a good show that gave me reason to stick around for Season 2. I would say give a few more Season 1 episodes a chance and see if it grows on you at all.

Vidiot, DeeThomaz and Kyhl like this.
  12. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

I'm more than happy to wait if it means continuing (or increasing) the quality level. And I'm way more than happy if the comedy gets dialed back more... sometimes it felt like they were inserting a random joke where it didn't really belong (but other times it was a welcome character element). As long as the comedy doesn't go up, I'm fine.

You really should revisit. It got so much better in a hurry; I was intrigued by the first episode, enough to watch #2. That one was similar, good enough for me to say "OK I'll keep going for a bit and see how it goes"... and then somewhere around episode 3 or 4 it just really connected with me, and fast, to where I was really jonesing each weak for the next episode to air... not as much anticipation as season 3 and on for ST:TNG (I don't think I've ever been as into a show as that, not counting seasons 1 and 2 which could disappear forever and I wouldn't bat an eye) but I was still eagerly awaiting each one... and sad when the season ended.

Right now there are still a lot of parallels to ST:TNG, enough to be obvious but not so many that it feels like a ripoff... but I'm very curious to see where he takes it once he develops the characters more and starts heading in his own direction(s).

I will say that I'm hoping we see more scifi on TV moving forward... really really good CGI and other FX technologies are so much cheaper and better now, they can use scenery and FX costs and complications as an excuse any longer.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Vidiot, Linger63, davidb1 and 2 others like this.
  14. Hadean75

Awesome! Can't wait! :D

Linger63 likes this.
  15. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

.....I don't need no weekend show....if I can't tune you in every weeknight when my jones kicks in I don't need your show at all......I don't need no weekend show....... thanks for the inspiration Clarence.... ;)

It's too bloody long between shows! I may lose interest before it comes back.....

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

S2 trailer released:

Vidiot, Hadean75, Scopitone and 3 others like this.
  17. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

Nice trailer. I'm looking forward to Season 2. Fun show.

18. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Great trailer. I've only seen part of season one, but I liked what I saw.

19. Hadean75

Looks interesting. :agree:

Brings up lots of interesting questions....darn this long wait lol. :cry:

20. It's a fun valentine to The Next Generation gently parodying while also acting as an homage to the series.

DeeThomaz and Solaris like this.
  21. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

Just to note... In my area FOX just started summer reruns of THE ORVILLE a few weeks ago. I think there have been 3 so far. To all those that haven't seen it yet or it didn't "click" for them yet... by all means, give it a try. I can't wait to see what's next...

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I am shocked and surprised to say I completely agree with you.

Here's some interesting comments by McFarland at Comic-Con this past week:

[​IMG]

“I think what you’re going to see in Season 2 is a show that’s even more comfortable in its footing in terms of existing in that goldilocks zone,” Seth MacFarlane said during the series’ Comic-Con panel in San Diego. “Every episode feels like a movie, and I think you’re going to dig it.”

The “goldilocks zone” MacFarlane referred to is the consistent tonal shifts seen — and criticized— in Season 1.

“This show was a tonal experiment of sorts,” MacFarlane said. “Comedy and sci-fi when you blend them together, they don’t always mix well. In features they do, but television is kind of hard to sustain. The pleasant surprise for me was that fans and viewers were willing to let us tell a story. They weren’t waiting for the next joke to come.”

MacFarlane said “different stories call for different tones,” just like life has different tones, and the comedy in “The Orville” was always meant as a “garnish” more than the main course. To that end, he said early advertisements for the hourlong series weren’t in line with the final product.

“Initially, I think the show was a little misrepresented,” MacFarlane said. “It was marketed as a comedy… I’m not sure why. Maybe there was a worry this was so new and weird and different it wouldn’t land.”

But the creator loves what Fox is doing to back Season 2. To kick off the panel, fans were shown the Season 2 trailer featuring new footage and the release date: December 30. Even though the first scene was driven by a classic set-up and punchline — i.e. a joke — MacFarlane said he was happy with the new marketing efforts, including the trailer.

“The experiment was a success,” executive producer Brannon Braga said. “The storytelling is even more assertive and bold [in Season 2], and there’s some really daring narrative stuff that happens.”

“The show was always intended to be what it is now,” MacFarlane said.

‘The Orville’: Seth MacFarlane Says Season 1 was ‘Misrepresented’ by Fox, Promises Season 2 Is What ‘Was Always Intended’

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    DeeThomaz likes this.
  23. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

We got both Orville and Discovery to look forward too next year

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  24. I enjoyed it so much, I'm going to buy the DVD of it. There's just one problem: I cannot find a release date.

US: https://www.amazon.com/The-Orville-...F8&qid=1534351357&sr=8-4&keywords=the+orville

Aus: https://www.amazon.com.au/The-Orvil...F8&qid=1534349762&sr=8-1&keywords=the+orville (see what they did there? Australians will understand!)

But over in the UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Orvill...F8&qid=1534351298&sr=8-2&keywords=the+orville

As I have a multi-region player (despite certain company's efforts, these were declared legal in Australia years ago) so I don't have a problem getting it from any country. But my big question is, does anybody know when this is actually coming out or if this will turn into another "The Brink"?

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

In preparation for S2 (starting end of the year, literally), I've just rewatched S1 and really loved it all over again. In fact, while previously watching it in real time, I was somewhat critical about the first two eps, but this time around, I loved those as well. I guess it helped that I had an established reference frame for the show's character dynamics and style, whereas before, I wondered what the show would be and how it would develop. Can't wait for S2!

Gems-A-Bems likes this.