"The Orville," sci-fi comedy series from Seth MacFarlane.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 15, 2017.

1. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

TheDigitialBits says Fox says it will be out in the third quarter of the year, and Fox hasn't decided if it will be on BluRay or on the old DVD format.

KatCassidy likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Or will it be up to Disney...?

3. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  4. Hadean75

So far, I've only seen dvd. Haven't been able to find anything about a Blu-ray release yet.

I hope it gets a Blu-ray release. If there is a tv show that would look good on Blu-ray, it's The Orville. :agree:

Al Kuenster likes this.
  5. Eyewire

Eyewire Forum Resident

Season 1 is $9.99 on the iTunes Store right now (at least it is in Canada).

6. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

I watched and enjoyed Star Trek Discovery and The Orville as they came out last season but since their Seasons ended I have not rewatched Star Trek at all and have re watched each Orville episode at least once and some as many as three times. Very non-scientific but that tells me that it is the better show.

Hadean75 likes this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yep. One is Star Trek in spirit, the other is Star Trek in name only.

sandmountainslim1 and budwhite like this.
  8. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Would agree. I ended up really enjoying the Orville after some initial scepticism. Discovery however, bored the life out of me half way through. I found the whole idea of the spore drive ridiculous and a mirror universe story AGAIN??? Bored of it.

9. Hadean75

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised with The Orville's season 2 premiere Ja'loja. Was it an action-packed, thrills a minute episode? No. It was more a character-driven episode, which is the type of episode I love.

I did a little more digging, and from what I have found from various sites is that Fox is no longer releasing television shows on Blu Ray due to costs. I don't have any hard evidence on this, but that seems to be the consensus on various sites.

The complete series dvd is pretty basic with very few extras/special features (most of which are on the internet anyways) but I'm cool with that lol.

10. :mad:

I did love the premiere. Great satire of the "Special Episodes" of "Star Trek" and "Star Trek: The Next Generation" where some sort of special thing would require a crew member to go back to their home for a ritual (like "Amok Time" from the original series).

sandmountainslim1 and Hadean75 like this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I also like character driven episodes and I liked this one, though I thought it spread itself a little thin with four or five parallel subplots.

Anyone notice the bartender? The voice was an immediate giveaway to me. It was...
    Jason Alexander.

Also note that while technically this was the first episode of season 2, the ep was filmed for season 1 but was never shown, and thus it was carried over into season 2. Season 2 proper will have some cast changes (bummer!) and a much bigger budget (not that it needed it).

It's good to have Trek The Orville back!

DreadPikathulhu and BGLeduc like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Call me crazy, but I thought the new episode was self-indulgent and slow. I think you need a lot more science fiction content to justify a show like this, not a broken romance about a 45-year-old guy who pines away for his ex-wife who cheated on him, plus a lot of smart-ass one-liners by alien sidekicks. And there was no payoff (so to speak) with the plotline involving Worf, I mean, Bortus.

BTW, did anybody recognize Jason Alexander as the alien bartender? Jesus, talk about a waste of a great talent... [doh, just noticed Deesky's message right before mine -- my apologies]

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I would agree that it wassn't the meatiest episode to kick things off, but considering they held this ep back from season 1, I thought showing it now was the best they could have done. I would have hated it if this episode was shown as the season 1 finale, compared with what we actually got.

Also, after being off air between seasons, showing this ep now, eases us back into the Orville universe and its characters. It also sets up the Ed/Kelly/Janel? dynamic which I'm sure will be the overarching character dynamic in S2.

Seth did say that S2 (proper) will delve a lot more into scifi storylines, so I'm cool with that.

You could say that the ceremony was the payoff. In S1 it was mentioned that Bortus' species pee only once a year, probably as a humerus throwaway line, but now they've developed the idea and this was the payoff. I'm sure it's meant to be a piss-take (lol) of the Vulcan pon farr. :)

No worries. I'm not yet calling it a waste of talent. We'll see how the character develops. I suspect he might turn into a Guinan-type wise barkeep character, but funnier.

budwhite and Vidiot like this.
  14. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Better he should be singing about McDLTs?

15. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

The actor who plays Gordon posted a cool video today to The Orville Facebook group promising season 2 is going to be super exciting. I have yet to see the episode but I will watch it tomorrow when my daughter is here. It's one of those shows we always watch together.

Maseman66 likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

MacFarlane did say back in September that he convinced Fox to let them spend more time and money on the VFX to be "bigger and better" for the second season, delaying the start until the end of 2018, and said these new episodes would be much more spectacular than what we had been seeing. Why they started with an episode this low-key just surprised me.

Also, I still say MacFarlane's hairline is the weirdest effect in the whole show. Jesus... :sigh:

17. Gems-A-Bems

Because, as has been stated repeatedly, it is leftover from the first season.

18. This Wiki says that the next episode (S2E2) is the s1 left over, not the season premiere.

Season 2

I would agree with other comments that S2E1 did not seem very different from the rest of S1.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  19. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I thought that was a very underwhelming return. Was it necessary to have a storyline for
    each character, Seth? Just give me a gripping story each week - I don't have to (or want to)
    see the Doctor's children!

Vidiot likes this.
  20. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It was a very comfortable episode. It reminded me of watching an episode of Star Trek:TNG somewhere around the middle of its run, when the characters were well established and the status quo didn't change from episode to episode.

21. Gems-A-Bems

I don’t necessarily want to see them either, but I do think it’s interesting seeing Isaac assume a parental role. Robot dad!

(I know Isaac isn’t a robot)

22. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I'm curious to see if they pursue the apparent romantic "sparks" between Dr. Finn and Isaac that were hinted at in this episode...

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It will be interesting to see what they do if they ever unmask Isaac. The actor playing him, Mark Jackson, is very good looking.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, I also thought that the narrative was spread out too thinly with so many subplots. However in retrospect, I think the focus on the various characters wasn't just random, but a setup for what's to come.

For example, Alara and Ed having a drink at the bar, each lamenting their lack of success in relationships. For Ed, it signals the reality of his breakup with Kelly, with her moving on now. This situation will play out throughout the season in one form or another.

As for Alara, her search for romance manifests through the setup date. But more importantly, we know that Halston Sage (Alara) will be leaving the show this season (she's doing a movie, but may return), so it's a way to set up her departure back to her home planet.

As for the new crewmember Janel Tyler who joins Ed at the bar at the end of the episode, she may end up being Ed's rebound, but there could be an even bigger role for her. This is pure speculation on my part, but the actor who plays Janel also played Teleya a Krill woman from S1. Now this could just be coincidence (like Jeffrey Combs playing multiple roles) or she could still be a Krill using a portable holo-projector to look human. Could be very interesting...

Seth had promised just that, so hang on.

I'm with you on that one. I didn't much care for the kids in S1, and this ep didn't change my mind in any way.