"The Orville," sci-fi comedy series from Seth MacFarlane.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 15, 2017.

1. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

I watched last night. Wow has he bitten off a lot here. The pressure of working on a multi million per episode production and doing throwaway humor with actors used to working on shows like 24 who have yet to establish likeable relateable characters??? And trying to make something that stands on its own while being sufficiently satirical to audiences who will be in varying stages of even comprehending why this stuff would be even remotely funny. Then throw in that it's SETH MCFARLANE trying to make his cartoon shtick work with actual people. I mean the three ring juggling act/train wreck is STRONG with this one. The NYT review says that you have to get through three episodes before they start actually doing something.

I hope it works. I like McFarlane and I think his attitude in creating this show is right on. I hope it survives but talk about an extreme creative challenge.. high budget sci fi action drama, crude moronothonic comedy, AND a life affirming relationship study where people take their common humanity seriously. McFarlane must have pictures of the Murdoch's that they don't want seen!

IronWaffle and Vidiot like this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It wasn't stellar to be sure, but it wasn't that bad either - it got better towards the end. The main characters have good chemistry and are quite likable with a good deal of heart too. The Klyden character was doing a pretty decent Worf impression, lol. I also loved the sets and the visuals - it felt like a new Star Trek series.

I think all the elements are there, they just need to settle in and find their groove.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No, no, no, that would be a total disaster IMO. I think having a 'normal' general plot with the occasional absurdist scene (like stepping through the Jello crewman in the corridor) and the use of colloquialisms and pretty much anything NOT depicted in TV Trek (like going to the toilet, etc), is a better way to go.

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

...with the unmistakable voice of Norm MacDonald!

beercanchicken likes this.
  5. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

If it doesn't get better within a few episodes, I'll be done with it.

audiomixer likes this.
  6. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Well it was nothing great by any stretch but it wasn't nearly as horrible as I thought it would be. Granted I was only half watching it but I'll stick with it for now.

7. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

"Quark" was a Star Trek parody, it predated Star Wars by about half a decade.

8. misterdecibel

This might have stood a chance if MacFarlane hadn't cast himself in the lead role. He's insufferable on-screen.

Solaris and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I was thinking a cross between Quark (which I quite liked) & TNG.

I didn't find him insufferable. The show just needs to find its sea-legs. If it can do that, then I think it will be fine.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. misterdecibel

Looks like I got the time frame off by about half a decade...

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I've avoided it because I just don't like McFarland as an actor, writer or singer. There's so much to watch anyway! :)

12. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I liked the show. It was ok. Better than what he reviews have said. We will have to see how it progresses.

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

So, no transporters in this universe? That's okay by me. Transporters make things too quick and easy.

Gems-A-Bems and Taurus like this.
  14. They also raise difficult scientific and existential questions. Not that you're supposed to be concerned about those things, but still!

Taurus likes this.
  15. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

There are 2 types of people in the world, those that like Seth MacFarlane and those that like Mike Judge. Count me in the latter.

geo50000 and misterdecibel like this.
  16. beercanchicken

This is certainly a positive.

17. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

I seem to be a 3rd....Never heard of Mike Judge.

18. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I thought it was just OK, my wife enjoyed it more than I.

19. beercanchicken

Mike Judge - Beavis & Butthead, King of the Hill, Silicon Valley, Office Space, Idiocracy. More of a satirical style, which I prefer..

20. I like 'em both.

21. So is there a story behind the show's name? To me, that alone suggested that the show might be a misfire. It evokes some kind of hackneyed Mel Brooks-ish satire.

22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Because it's a slightly better title than "The Wilbur"?

23. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Quark
    First episode date: May 7, 1977
    Final episode date: April 7, 1978

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

It took a couple of 'beats' for me, 'coz I first thought of Orville REDENBACHER!
    [​IMG]

SandAndGlass, BeatleJWOL and Lonson like this.
  25. misterdecibel