"The Orville," sci-fi comedy series from Seth MacFarlane.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 15, 2017.

1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Although an actor, Peter Macon, is credited with playing the 'Moclan' character (looks like a robot with blue lights for eyes on an otherwise featureless head) the voice sounds suspiciously like Brent Spiner as 'Data'. I take it that was purposely done.

Overall impression - it's not funny or clever, although I have the impression the people involved think it is. I suspect the only reason this made it beyond the pilot was MacFarlane's influence with the network.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Vidiot likes this.
  2. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Perhaps we will look and talk like the Cars in Radiator Springs? :D

[​IMG]

3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Yeah, let's set a show 400 years in the future and then invent and alter the language so that it's barely intelligible to today's audience, just in an attempt to be realistic. Now THAT'S entertainment!

That notion is akin to the fact that aliens on other planets speak English and that they should be speaking a totally alien/foreign tongue. Then none of the characters could interact without translators - boy, that would be some fun, eh?

:crazy:

4. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

actually - language might just go stagnant - languages used to evolve because people were isolated from each other and new dialects would spring up - now that we are all wired together .... and just talking like all the other people we hear in various media - as oppposed to our parents or whatever - it becomes homogenized - so maybe people will just continue to sound the same - or - worst case - a lot dumber like in Idiocracy...

ianuaditis likes this.
  5. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I'm with you.

I hoped this would be better. When Seth disappeared in episode #2 I actually felt relief and it struck me that this is not salvageable for him. It may have had a better chance if they had left him as a casualty and moved on. Knowing that he would be rescued, I deleted it from my list of shows to record, and finished watching S1E2.

I'm done.

6. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

The thing is, it's not really a comedy. Because it isn't funny. :)

showtaper likes this.
  7. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Am I the only person that has They Might Be Giants, Someone Keeps Moving My Chair stuck in my head after reading this? I'll have to listen to Flood this morning to fix it.

Lownote30 likes this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Peter Macon plays Bortus, who is a Worf clone and quite funny. Actually, his egg laying thing was funny, if not hilarious. Mark Jackson plays Isaac the robot, whose voice to me sounds like Ensign Vorik from Voyager. The real Trek connection is Penny Johnson who plays Dr Finn here (and Kasidy Yates on DS9).

Like the first ep, it was passable, but generally bland. Halston Sage as Alara is very cute and I thought had a good story arc , if unoriginal.

9. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Not every second. But there is a lot of humor in it.

10. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I agree with this clone thing, but the one thing I feel like this show managed that others haven't is the "How would people *really* behave in that situation?" element of it, which has my attention and has me enjoying the show so far. I will readily concede that assuming we'll continue to talk/act as we do now 400 years in the future is a leap, but comfort with suspension of disbelief is pretty much a given if you're watching the show at all.

YES. THIS.
    I was watching the show last night and was like "What is the deal with that mane?"

Although the line "I want eggs now" had me in hysterics for some stupid reason, so I might be willing to forgive quite a lot.

Vidiot and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'll give it another watch on Thursday in its regular timeslot and then we'll see. The second episode's story was a bit too derivative of STAR TREK's original pilot, "The Cage", from its false/illusion people to its zoo trappings. If it continues to be a show with individual hour-long adventures each week, then I'll watch whenever I can. If it turns into a long story-arc, then I might drop out. I don't want to be locked into HAVING to watch it EVERY week.

12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

He's painful to watch...

13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I watched the episode last night. No more for me.

14. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

in one of the recent commercials - they tagged it as " a new adventure every week" - which is a direct response to the Trek series being a serial story-arc ....

15. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Wasn't that basically what they did with the distant-future/post-apocalyptic segment in Cloud Atlas? Been awhile since I've seen that movie, but I remember actually thinking it was a nice touch to sort of portray how language would have evolved to the point of almost being unrecognizable.

16. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

So far, no. I’ll try once more.

17. tomunbound

tomunbound Active Member

"elaborate Trek cosplay" .....I'm stealing that description...

18. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

It seems like anyone who misses "The Next Generation" would find this show entertaining. And you know Cueball is gonna show up at some time.

Pete Sorbi likes this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Just watched the third episode with my 17 year old son. We both thought it was the best so far with some laugh out loud humor and a deeper more thought provoking story. I told him afterword that it was one of the better Star Trek episodes I've seen in quite some time. To me it would hold up story wise with some of the better Next Gen stories. An alien race that makes us question our own beliefs and convictions, now that is Star Trek at it's best.

Deesky likes this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree, it was really good and it had some real bite. The story was a kind of refit of the excellent TNG episode The Outcast, but still, I liked the direction the show took. Some good gags too.

Pete Sorbi and Dr. Pepper like this.
  21. Klen7000

Klen7000 Well-Known Member

I wonder how MacFarlane will take it if this gets cancelled at the end of the season. It will be one of the now several shows that Fox scrapped that he had a significant hand in making.

Osato likes this.
  22. Dr. Pepper

I don't see how the show could stand up to any Star Trek lawsuits. I think it might see it's demise because of that.

23. Dr. Pepper

MacFarlane stepped up his acting as well, as did many of the supporting players. I also liked that they avoided the obvious feel good ending and ended on an edgier note.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yup, just like in The Outcast.
    I really doubt it. They're not using any Trek branding or Trek characters/species. It's a parody, of sorts, just like Space Balls was of Star Wars.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I am sad to admit you're absolutely right -- this episode actually had moments that I thought were interesting. I think it was still heavy-handed and had silly, ham-fisted acting (and a lotta lame jokes), but the idea of a world where they would impose a specific sex on every baby was an eye-opening problem. I would firmly be in the camp that says, "this race of beings gets to make their choice -- we're not involved, it's not our thing." Culture is wildly different all over the world, between races and between species, and I don't see that changing.

I'll give them this: it was a complex problem without a simple system and they talked out both sides of the argument fairly well. And maybe 10% stupider than the previous show.