The Osmonds' Crazy Horses Heavy Metal Album #66

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cast Iron Shore, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been listening to the Osmonds' Crazy Horses album, which is listed as no. 66 in Stairway to Hell: the 500 Best Heavy Metal Albums in the Universe by Chuck Eddy. While I would only classify 3 songs, Hold Her Tight, Crazy Horses and Hey Mr. Taxi as heavy metal, there are enough great hard rocking, menacing songs that I don't think it gets the respect it deserves. The beautiful melodic ballads soar and the vocals have a rough edge to them. Any love for this album?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Scope J, pablo fanques, PB62 and 9 others like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’ve always loved this. Crazy Horses and The Plan are the Osmonds’ best albums for me. The former being their most melodic work, too. I wouldn’t class any of CH as heavy metal, to be honest... It owes more to the Beatles to my ears. Still, it’s a great album and it’s a shame that after this and The Plan, they stopped writing much of their material.

I’d love a decent CD release of Crazy Horses... The 2008 7ts issue with it’s harsh sound, drop-outs and edited version of Girl do the album no favours at all. At least The Plan had a stand alone release in 2001 by Curb. This was far better than the 7ts version.

3. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I love Crazy Horses, my mum had it and I listened to it as a kid, it was the only Osmonds I had heard, so I thought this was how they sounded.

"Hold Her Tight" and "Crazy Horses" are the hardest rocking tracks (the former sounds inspired by "Immigrant Song"), they're as much "heavy metal" as any other music of that time that gets called that. The main riff to "Life Is Hard Enough Without Goodbyes" is a pretty heavy too, but in a slow and grooving way (it reminds me of the riff to "A National Acrobat" by Sabbath), it's my favourite song on the album. Some of the other tracks are more towards Beatlesque pop, it's a mixed album, but they're all great songs.

4. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Some great tunes in this rekkid... Hey Mr. Taxi and Life is Hard Enough Without Goodbyes really trip my trigger... inherited the title track 45 from my older sister in the early 70s, and loved it from the get go... I was 5 so what do you want? Used to stare at the LP cover in fascination circa '74 as a 6-year-old (she didn't give me the LP) but never got my own copy til 2001... loved it ever since... We All Fall Down and Utah are great too...

5. YardByrd

Zep were fans on the Osmonds and let them use their backline when they toured the UK... sure Zep knew about the Hold Me Tight/Immigrant Song connection... Page and Plant visited the Osmonds in their hotel room after one show, praising the performance... Little Jimmy has mentioned this a couple times in interviews...

6. YardByrd

As mentioned above, this is the UK tour where the Osmonds supposedly used Zep's backline... wild reaction from the crowd:

7. YardByrd

Chuck Eddy is the greatest... he drives the hardcore metal purists nutz with that book, which is one of my Top 3 rock n roll books ever

8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’m impressed with how much this song rocks!

musicfan37 and pablo fanques like this.
  9. Cast Iron Shore

Not from Crazy Horses but so amazing I had to share: Whoop now!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    ronm, Dante Fontana and YardByrd like this.
  10. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I remember hearing that album through the adjoining wall to my sister's room. I always liked the title track.

Suncola, Cast Iron Shore and YardByrd like this.
  11. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

That riff is too close to A Hard Days Night

JDeanB likes this.
  12. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I’m shocked! I never knew the Osmonds had a heavy edge!

13. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Crazy Horses is one of the greatest rock songs ever written. So much so that it garnered negative attention from the Osmonds' community.

14. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I remember Beck (Hansen) spoke about Crazy Horses. "Hold Her Tight" is a fantastic single. I remember hearing it on the Osmonds Saturday morning cartoon show. I loved it then and I love it now.

15. YardByrd

Another killer

16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

From their album The Plan.

Darryl

17. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

Where's Marie?

Ignatius likes this.
  18. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'm hearing Day Tripper. :) Not my cup of tea but these were/are some talented guys.

Carlox and Cast Iron Shore like this.
  19. Cast Iron Shore

She was never in the band. A lot of people think Donny was the leader of the Osmonds, but he wasn't: it was Merrill on almost all lead vocals and Donny had his crooning solo career while the Osmonds sometimes rocked out. Donny's only role starting with Crazy Horses was keyboard playing and backing vocals. Here's another crack in the teenybopper myth:
    Osmonds - Hold Her Tight (1972)

musicfan37, YardByrd and savemenow like this.
  20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

"Life is Hard Enough Without Goodbyes" sounds like a song title Jon Bon Jovi would like . I'm surprised he hasn't stolen it yet.....

21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

This reminds me of a Blue Oyster Cult album cover in a weird way.

YardByrd likes this.
  22. Cast Iron Shore

JoeF., trumpet sounds and YardByrd like this.
  23. Cast Iron Shore

24. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

"no. 66 in Stairway to Hell: the 500 Best Heavy Metal Albums in the Universe by Chuck Eddy"

Somehow, I don't think Exhumed fans are going to buy into this.

25. Eddy was clearly taking the piss with some of his selections. I mean, he included a Teena Marie album! I think he included Parliament as well.

Nice Marmot and Cast Iron Shore like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.