The Passage on Fox

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Cupids_bow, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain Thread Starter

Sacrifice a child to save the rest of humanity? Deadly virus, vampires and a good cast. Hmm, it’s got my attention, watched the pilot last night. Good premise. Recording the series on dvr now. We’ll see how it unfolds.

2. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

The book series was pretty good. I liked book two way better than the first or third. Like The Walking Dead, there’s a huge change in how people live compared to the first episode - like the difference between when Rick goes into his coma, and wakes up. I’m interested to see how this show mirrors the books.

3. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

The individual components are nothing we haven't seen before (evil rich company with high-end scientific AND military-grade resources, vampires, etc.). Not familiar with the books either.

BUT, it was very smart, in my opinion, making the pilot ep less so about the sci-fi aspects, and more about making me care about our main characters. Saniyya Sidney is fantastic as young Amy Bellafonte, and will be a star long after this show has been cancelled. And Mark-Paul Gosselaar is very likeable as her nurturing hero. We even come away hoping he'll be able to get things back together with his estranged wife (Emmanuelle Chriqui) after breaking up over very sad circumstances.

Will see how it goes, but not getting overly invested.

chrischerm and Pete Puma like this.
  4. chrischerm

I read this about a decade ago but if I recall correctly, unlike the first scene in the show, the medical team was in search of a rare bat in the South American caves, not some "vampire" the village locals have locked in a cage. That said, the result with Dr. Tim is the same, although he gets referred to as "Zero" (patient zero) in the books from here out. Also, Amy was found in a convent, not some group home, so it's deviated from the books a bit, but not enough to not tell the story properly. I agree, they did good by making you care for Amy in this first episode. PS - these are not spoilers - they're about 5 minutes into Ep 1.

5. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

They had me at "You don't leave me, I don't leave you."

:righton:

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

sci-fy shows with little kids, just not my thing.

the litttle kid in 'manifest' is just a horrible actor, on a show full of horrible actors.

7. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Enjoyed the books and enjoying the series so far, even with the deviations. Not a big fan of the vampire angle but there you go. Movies (to me) are rarely as satisfying as the books they're based on so I know that going in.

We're still in the early "set the stage" parts so I'll hang with it.

8. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Watched the finale this week (well, actually the two final episodes aired back-to-back). A mixed bag, but I enjoyed the season.

Sad ending. Seems pretty final.

Chriqui is as wooden as ever, but thankfully gets minimal screen time. Gosselaar really steps up as the father/hero figure though, and is more likeable for it. And the real light here is Saniyya Sidney in the starring role.

chrischerm and Charles Adams like this.
  9. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

So the cure for the vampire apocalypse was sitting on a shelf in an Oregon cabin for months? Ex wife decides to leave with colleagues in a search for a cure, leaving the cure sitting on a shelf in an Oregon cabin?

10. chrischerm

Much of the first season is not in the books at all. The first book - The Passage, mostly takes place 100 years in the future, in the world you saw at the end of the show’s first season. It’s post-apocalyptic, and sprinkles of what you saw in the first season are told in retrospect, as a small rag-tag enclave of survivors decide to take on Carter.

Amy is like a mythic, almost quasi-religous figure, who shows up to help them. After the first book, it becomes an attempt to take on the remaining original virals, since as you saw in the show, all their drones die when they do. Looks like Season one two goals - get to know the players, and fall for Amy.

jpelg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.