The passing of a great TV director

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Feb 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

Larry Kamm was one of the great talents who made ABC Sports such a powerhouse in the 70s and 80s. I have many great childhood memories watching The Olympics with my family. I still think that ABC's coverage from the 80s has yet to be topped.
    Dan C

http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20040214/D80N6SH00.html

ABC Sports Director Larry Kamm Dies

Feb 14, 1:51 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - Larry Kamm, an Emmy Award-winning director for ABC Sports, has died of lung cancer. He was 64.

Kamm died Friday, ABC Sports said.

"We are deeply saddened by Larry's passing," said George Bodenheimer, president of ABC Sports and ESPN, Inc. "Larry was a true friend to all his colleagues. We will always remember him for his passion for broadcasting and his insatiable appetite for work.

"In this business he stands out as someone who never put his own needs before the needs of the show."

Kamm worked at ABC for over 36 years and won 13 Emmys, including one for his work on "Monday Night Football" in 1987. He also covered 10 Olympics for the network starting in 1964, directing such events as figure skating, gymnastics, Alpine skiing and cross-country skiing.

Also among his credits are the Indianapolis 500, Super Bowl XXII, pregame, halftime and postgame coverage of Super Bowl XXV, Major League Baseball, the NBA and the 1994 World Cup soccer studio show.

From 1995-2000, he was the coordinating director for Turner Sports. He also served as the coordinating director for the Yankees Entertainment & Sports Network (YES).

Kamm is survived by his wife, Claire, and two daughters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.