The peculiar nature of the Sgt. Pepper 50th anniversary mix and its consequences for The White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tyrell, Mar 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Never a problem for me, especially in the minor-key piano coda beginning around 2:13. It gives this otherwise fluffy Maccatune a certain resonance & gravitas.

Plan9 likes this.
  2. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I just cannot stand the sound of the bass and drums. Not them being upfront, there’s just a sound to them I hate now.
    A few songs are better, a few most certainly are not. When I’m Sixty-Four is perfect, though. Also it’s compressed as all hell.
    My main issue with the whole thing is that the unique siund signature of each song is all but gone. Every song sounds the same now. That’s why I don’t like it.

3. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

The remix could have been far better if Giles had just mixed it straight like the Yellow Submarine Songtrack instead of "stereoizing" mono tracks and bouncing things around, in a vain attempt to make the mixes sound more "sophisticated". Instead it just sounds tacky IMO. But to each his own!

pau1, kahlveen, scottc1963 and 2 others like this.
  4. bek0727

bek0727 Forum Resident

Great thread. Super excited for the new White Album remix and hearing it from a different perspective. That's part of the fun with these remixes. Loved the Pepper one. The songs have so much more dimension and guts. It doesn't feel overcompressed to me — louder, definitely, but there's more clarity, etc.

Anyway, can't wait for the next remix/remaster : )

Pancat, Crimson Witch, PDK and 5 others like this.
  5. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I really like the Pepper remix on vinyl. The White Album is a different animal sound wise, so I'm not sure how Giles' approach will work.

6. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

The Pepper remix is educational and fun, but it could never replace either of the original mixes for me. After living with it for a while, I'm in no rush to spend good money on a White Album remix. I'm much more excited for a potential release of the complete Esher demos as part of the 50th anniversary campaign. :goodie:

7. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

I really like the 50th remix of Pepper. I have to ask—where did the speculation of a 50th WA start? Did Apple or Giles or anyone say something about it or is it more of an assumption since the did the Sgt Pepper release?

I hope it’s true!

8. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

The consequences of the compressed and overly loud Pepper remix are that it is likely to be the same again with the White Album. The "Love" era work of Giles Martin was great but his recent work on Pepper is very poor.

9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

It really doesn't suck though. So yeah I am going to keep not being careful in what I wish for lol

Pancat, PDK, D.B. and 2 others like this.
  10. Somerset Scholar

I sold both my CD copy and 2LP copy. Surprised to double my money on the 2LP copy! So not all was lost.

Wugged and abzach like this.
  11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Cool man

D.B. and Mr. Explorer like this.
  12. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

If I could take a picture of the Gioconda with my iPhone it would look better than that awful thing hanging in the Louvre.

13. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

The album is lauded for its songwriting and inventiveness, not exactly for its less-than-stellar stereo mix. Actually, for The Beatles Sgt Pepper was the mono album. The 67 stereo doesn't even respect basic choices like the speed in She's Leaving Home.

So no problem with remixing in stereo, the original 67 one was no "Gioconda". And if somebody likes it, I'm sure they have it and still can find plenty of copies.

As for Giles' remix, I have some problems with it, specially the mastering, but overall I like it. And of course, I favour it over the wonky original stereo, with one exception: I really prefer the original stereo A Day in the Life.

Anyway, my favourite Pepper is still the mono.

Pancat, BZync, Crimson Witch and 8 others like this.
  14. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I've been listening to the Pepper remix exclusively for months now, so it's the "new normal" in my head. Last week I put on the old Pepper for the 1st time since and... my God it is not very good. No ones fault, limitations of time, etc. But the new mix is a big improvement over the '67 mix.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  15. Somerset Scholar

Mono normally for me on this album too. Then the 67 stereo if I fancy a more laid back presentation.
    I'm split 50/50 on the original mono/stereo WA though.

16. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

You know I too thought the YSS mixes were better until I actually A/B'd them the other day. The reverb on YSS isn't as good. "64" is a good track to compare on each.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. Somerset Scholar

The YSS remixes have gone down in my estimation too. Initially I liked the extra clarity but find them a bit clinical today. Still quite like the Rubber Soul tracks on it.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  18. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

MelodyFair likes this.
  19. Paul Aiden

Paul Aiden Forum Resident

It was interesting to listen to it but for me the Mono 2009 remastered gets it right, every time... It’s beyond perfect.

Crimson Witch, D.B. and Mr. Explorer like this.
  20. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I laud and applaud the 50th remix, with caveats about the cd mastering.

But, the White Album? Not sure it can be improved. I’m psyched for the 5.1 and bonus tracks, though!

21. hgfed27

hgfed27 Forum Resident

I think the White Album sounds pretty good as is but I'd be interested to hear a remix. I really wish they would remix Rubber Soul instead. Of all the great Beatles albums that is the one that is most in need of a good stereo remix. There are many issues with both of the existing stereo mixes of that album.

22. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

The White Album really doesn't need the "modern mix" approach, IMO. It's perfect as is.

Crimson Witch, sgtmono, D.B. and 8 others like this.
  23. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

After the brilliant job on the recent Sgt. Pepper remix, I'm ready for a similar take on the White Album.

I do love the White Album as is - especially the original UK numbered stereo, and the '78 UK white vinyl. But I had the same opinion of Pepper before I heard the latest anniversary release.

To each their own. And we all hear things slightly differently to begin with. But I loved what they did with Pepper.

So who knows, it might be even more amazing.

D.B., Mr. Explorer and The Beave like this.
  24. jfire

jfire Forum Resident

I'm good with the mono White Album. The mono vinyl reissue is fantastic. I don't have a 5.1 setup, but I agree about the outtakes. That's what I'm excited for with the White Album reissue. It's also what I liked most about the Pepper anniversary box. The remix/remaster is interesting to hear, and I appreciate the fidelity provided by going back to the pre-bounce down tapes. But it's only part of the package. The mono Pepper is still my go-to.

D.B. and Mr. Explorer like this.
  25. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

It's a complicated subject. I was basically talking about the mixing/imaging, not necessarily the mastering or the effects used (digiverb, NR).

The problem I have with Giles' remixes is that he went to ridiculous extremes to make the stereo imaging "fancy" instead of showing restraint and good taste.

I also hate the way he uses compression in his mixes. It sounds cheap and unprofessional.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.