The Phil Ochs Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JamieC, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Thank you. Right now, I am struggling with no voice at all and some rough side effects that doctors did not tell me about. But CDs and box sets are coming in the mail almost every day. That is a side effect that my wife predicted.

Mr. H likes this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think the mono Tape from California is a fold. I used to have a WLP of Rehearsals.

3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I used to have one of those and maybe still do - the WLP used the CSG process and sounded fuzzy and weird.

chacha likes this.
  4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member Thread Starter

My copy of Rehearsals was Canadian on the brown label, and the CSG was clearly marked on the front cover next to the A&M logo.

5. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

"Chords of Fame" and "my Kingdom For a Car" are a couple of faves.
    Ochs and this band did some great stuff.

6. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Eric Andersen is such a strong link to Phil...love this album by Eric...

[​IMG][​IMG]

NumberEight likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

8. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

wonderful!

9. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

It's one of those shames of an untimely death - thinking about what he could've done in the following few years.

The political climate of the late '70s to 1980s would've given Phil tons of inspiration - Gees, the rise of Ronald Reagan to the presidency ALONE was enough for a decent crop of songs - let along Margaret Thatcher, Apartheid South Africa, the stagnation of the Soviet Union, the rise of free-market economics, Televangelism.. the list goes on..

That mid-70s lull when Nixon had been defeated & the conservatives were on the retreat didn't last forever. It's the left's loss that he wasn’t around to fight against their revenge.

keyXVII and Tribute like this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Notice that this picture was taken in the same basic spot that the Fred Neil cover shot was taken. That's the San Remo Restaurant next to Phil's guitar and the bottom of the LIQUORS sign is visible. About the same time period, but a different day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is William S. Burroughs at same spot, earlier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. tenor1

tenor1 Forum Resident

What version of Crucifixion is on Farewells and Fantasies? Is it the same version as on Chords of Fame or something different?

12. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Yes. According to the F&F liner notes, two tracks are from CoF: Crucifixion and I Ain’t Marching Anymore (electric version). I’ve also just played both versions and can confirm this.

The liner notes also give the source for Crucifixion as Carnegie Hall 3/27/1970.

tenor1 likes this.
  13. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

It does say that, but it's not. Audience tapes of the whole shows of 3/27/70 which were excerpted for Gunfight have been floating around for years, here (today anyway) is one where that night's rendition of Crucifixion starts at about 1:30. That's clearly not the one on COF, anyway - can't put my hands on F&F right now. I always thought the one on COF (which was uncredited except for "live") came from this European TV broadcast.

Not only is Phil's singing and playing considerably more controlled than it was on Gunfight night, the length is correct.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

It's funny that both Ochs and Arlo Guthrie are half Scottish, half Jewish. At of the more recent Guthrie family concerts (not last night's) at Carnegie Hall, Arlo's daughter Sarah Lee did a wonderful version of When I'm Gone.

15. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Hmm. Either the Swedish TV performance you've linked to is not the same performance as that on Chords Of Fame/ Farewells & Fantasies, or else the performance was doctored for use on Chords of Fame. The Chords Of Fame (and F&F) version is followed by applause from a much larger audience than that of the TV show. It also has a guitar introduction (though this might, of course, simply have been cut off the YouTube video).

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  16. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

JamieC, Urban Spaceman and Spazaru like this.
  17. JamieC

18. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Nice one. 1967?

19. JamieC

Translated from the you tube page
    Sound shot made by Antonello Branca. Phil Ochs performs in a park the song "I ain't marching anymore" live in front of an audience composed of young people. It is identified in the last frames, Jerry Rubin rising from the crowd.

A comment from the Yahoo Ochs group
    At UCLA, I think, based on Meyerhoff Park written on the performing stand....

Personally I would call this as late 67/68. Probably an anti war rally or an early Yippie thing.

Nick Dunning likes this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The first time I met Phil, he was wearing his glasses and I did not recognize him immediately. Then, as he sat next to me on the floor, he grabbed a guitar.

[​IMG]

Nick Dunning and JamieC like this.