The Phil Ochs Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JamieC, Jun 21, 2014.

1. JABEE

JABEE Forum Resident

Just listened to Phil Ochs Greatest Hits for the first time.

That's damn good country, folk album. I feel like it should have been marketed as a country album.

Naming the album Greatest Hits works on an artistic level, but I understand now why it was overlooked.

My Kingdom For A Car should have been a hit single.

2. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Ahead of his time for sure, or out of step with the hit parade, Ochs was a groundbreaker who is still obscure to many (too bad for those who haven't discovered Phil's unique brand of story telling). His "Pleasures Of The Harbor" (not a vinyl record I treasure more) -- a mix of long songs and deceptively upbeat shorter tunes with darker stories to tell. Phil absolutely was a music journalist, relating stories and feelings in a way no one else quite has. There is something special about his writing, delivery, musicality, and emotion that is unique and not easy for some to relate to, and can often be uncomfortably close to home...self-examination in song can be too revealing for those who just want a simple song.

Not gonna get that from Phil. What a talent. I derive great pleasure every time I have a listen even today, and a measure of sadness as I can't help but think of his own personal tragedy. But then there is the music...and that amazing album cover.

[​IMG]

jamesmaya, JABEE, vivresavie and 3 others like this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I love that album too. I always got the feeling he disowned it later. I saw him a few times after that performing at anti war rallies and it seemed like that album didn’t exist. Could be wrong.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think you are wrong. He played Pleasures of The Harbor at every show that I saw. I believe he was extremely proud of the album, and the quality of his music (especially) and lyrics beyond topical songs. Of course, at an anti-war rally, he would likely sing anti-war songs.

JamieC and chacha like this.
  5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Good to hear.

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member Thread Starter

He considered Pleasures his best work.

Tribute likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

And "Rehearsals for Retirement" is the equally great companion masterpiece. They would make a nice box set (I wonder if any session tapes exist).

For that matter, a Complete Phil Ochs A&M Sessions Box (with many unreleased session tapes and demos) would make everyone happy. Deluxe large box with a big hardcover LP sized book, Bear Family Style.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JABEE and jamesmaya like this.
  8. JABEE

JABEE Forum Resident

I would buy that. It’s hard to find copies of Gunfight in the USA.

9. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I remember hearing a long time ago that Sean Penn had at some point bought rights to do a movie bio of Phil. I actually like Penn and thought he could have done a good job when he was younger, but was too old by the time I heard about it. I went to a Phil Ochs Song Night a few years ago and Sonny brought along a horrible short film with some guy who didn't look at all like Phil sitting at a bar and slurring through some John Train rants. It was roundly booed by everyone in the room. I mention this because last night we watched the film Nightcrawler with Jake Gyllenhaal, and I actually stopped the movie at one point and said to my wife "Dammit, that guy could play Phil Ochs". She agreed. He's right around the age Phil was when he left and to me he looks a lot like him. I wonder what the situation is with those rights now?

lemonade kid likes this.
  10. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That was an interesting article, written for the 50th anniversary of the Chicago riots. But, despite the interview with Phil where he said he died in Chicago and the record cover, I seriously don't believe that Chicago or even politics of the Nixon era caused Phil's depression or suicide. Bipolar depression, combined with drugs and alcohol, is a powerful thing. Phil was quite excited about his new approach to politics, expressed in the Carnegie 1970 concert and which he emphasized repeatedly through 1970 - that was, to reach the people you had to communicate in their language (rock n roll and country). His audience and his record company rejected it, though A&M did allow that last album.

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I just bought a very nice first pressing in mono of I Ain't Marching Anymore and after I bought it, I drove by the small mom & pop motel where I dropped Phil off at 3AM in 1970. It was then that he told me he was leaving the scene. It all seems so profound to me at the moment

13. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Are you Jim Glover?

14. JamieC

No he's not. Jim is a friend of mine.

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

16. JamieC

17. JamieC

As an aside Jim Glover's appearance here is how I recognized him when I met him some years later.

AlmanacZinger and lemonade kid like this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I've been thinking of Phil lately and have also been going to a few good used record stores and finding some nice Phil records.

First was a supermint original pressing of Rehearsals for Retirement. When I first bought it at the time of release, I was immediately concerned about where Phil was going. I have often thought of the time that Phil told me (in 1970, a few weeks after the legendary Carnegie Hall concert) that he would be "leaving the scene".

There were also some nice first pressings on Folkways of LPs that came out in 1976.

This made me finally search for a mono copy of "Pleasures of the Harbor". It is now in the mail to me.

I recall some had said the mono "Pleasures" has special qualities. Mix? Sound quality of Phil's voice? Does anyone recall?

JamieC and Mr. H like this.
  19. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I just find the stereo version distracting with all the wild orchestration. The mono just seems more cohesive to me.

Here it is, in case anyone wants to listen to it.

Phil Ochs - Pleasures Of The Harbor (Complete mono LP) - YouTube

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  20. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Mr. H, JamieC and Dennis Metz like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

tenor1 likes this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Phil's daughter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    John DeAngelis likes this.