The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

How funny! I've often thought of getting something else but have never looked into it. I hadn't really used my turntable for years and just recently started using it again and listening to vinyl.

My cover didn't get broken, I had to take it off to get the turntable inside my jukebox. I may have to check the 1210MKII out. Is it expensive?

2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Unfortunately, Technics pulled the plug on manufacturing new ones about a year and a half ago, if memory serves. I'm not a whiz on all of the history and back story of the 1200 series, but the long and the short of it is new tables are hard to come by and expensive - in the $1000 range. Used tables are available all over the place, but the price point has increased due to no more new product coming to market.

Also, the 1200/1210 was a ridiculously popular DJ table, so you have to shop around and be careful not to get an abused one.

My personal opinion is that if you can score a used one in really nice condition for less than $500, it's worth trying out. They hold their resale value well, so if you hate it, I'm sure you can get rid of it on craigslist for at or near what you paid.

There are also entry-level tables on the market by Rega, Pro-ject, Music Hall, etc., that would most likely improve your listening experience over the A200, but I can't comment on any of them because I've not auditioned any of them.

I know there are others reading this thread regularly that can chime in with more information.

3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Thanks. I just put a new belt on it today. It sounds as awesome as it looks. I can't even think about listening to my digital front end, and it's a pretty good one.

motorcitydave likes this.
  4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

You're welcome. Sounds good. Well, I'd say that's when you know you've got a good turntable!

5. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Yeah I know what your listening to right now ................................. i live next door. Can you please turn that volume UP :)
    Nice, very nice indeed.

motorcitydave likes this.
  6. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^

current but upgrade coming shortly!

IMG_0614.JPG

7. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Vpi Traveler-ortofon 2m blue
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Johnny Vinyl, Pinknik, LeeS and 4 others like this.
  8. docdan50

docdan50 Forum Resident

My turntable started as a stock scoutmaster. I upgraded with the hrx feet, then the sds, then I replaced the platter with what I think is a tnt platter. Lastly I installed a JMW 10.5i. scoutmaster.jpg

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

10. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Very nice.

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk HD

Mazzy likes this.
  11. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^

IMG_0621.JPG VPI New Traveler with Ortofon 2M Blue. Was a major hassle for me to get going but I think I got it right, finally! Popped on a virgin Foreigner Double Vision that was 1st pressing still sealed from day 1 and it sounded great!!!

Johnny Vinyl, ZootAllures and dbz like this.
  12. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^

IMG_0622.JPG New whole system: VPI New Traveler, McCormack DNA-1 pre, Oppo 105, Nak Cassette 2, and Aragon 2002 power amp. Vandersteen 3 speakers. Finally getting into sub audiophilia!

13. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

Thumbs up for the Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2. I bought my mother one fcr her 60th birthday, and it's a lot of fun to play with. It's definitely a revelation to hear tapes sound as clear and bright as they do on these decks, 20-20k and all that.

The 2M Blue is a very nice cart. I kinda wish I had one now, just so I wouldn't have to deal with the crummy conical stylus on my Grado Red. I really like the sound from the 2M series.

14. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Nice system, intrigued by the reviews I've read of the traveler. That's a big spend all at once.

15. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^

Well, I've had the preamp, cassette deck, and power amp for some time now but the Traveler and Opppo are indeed brand new. The traveler is a unique player for sure, has many unique qualities about it, looking forward to how it all starts to mesh together.

16. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

How do you like that cartridge?

17. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I really have nothing to compare it with, but it suits the TT and sounds good. Sorry I can't say any more, as this was purchased as a package with that arm, TT and cart. Thats how these are sold in Europe. I understand that in USA, the cart is the choice of the customer. Sonically, it is quite detailed and smooth, but needs correct VTA (Tail down) to add the right level of bass. It's probably at the upper end of MM carts. But it is very exposed and fine. I've seen a few broken ones on the internet, so it needs handling carefully. There is now a new V2 version, which I haven't heard.
    http://www.clearaudio.de/_en/tan_Maestro V2.php

Race Tripper may have more to add as I think he auditioned a few of the CA carts. I think he went one better with the MC Talisman V2 Cart.

18. Josquin des Prez

The Maestro Wood is the best sounding MM cartrdige I have ever heard. It competes easily with MC in the same price range. I was going to get one myself, but stepped up my budget a bit for a Talisman v2. My next cartridge might be the Concerto v2.

dbz likes this.
  19. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Can you tell us what other MM's you have heard?

20. Just my old Dual with a 70s Dutch white wax pressing of Satantic Majesties Request

image.jpg

21. Josquin des Prez

I would have to check next time at the dealer. I know one was the Clearaudio Concept MM, although that is considerably less expensive. I believe a Benz among them. Maybe a Grado? I also heard it compared to a Dynavector 20x2H and liked it better, and I picked it as sounding better over the Concept MC. I think the DV 20x2 might have been a little better in the high end, but overall I liked the Maestro better. In the past I never really cared for the sound of MM cartridges, but the Maestro is different.

I originally ordered it with a Clearaudio Performance DC, but changed that to a Talisman. When the Performance DC release kept getting delayed, I finally made a deal to get my dealers demo Ovation/Talisman, which is what I have now (although since upgraded to the Magnify arm with VTA Lifter).

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  22. Robert Hood

Robert Hood Active Member

Nice old Dual, curious what year ? I've not seen this one before. I still have my old 1219, re-furbished, and better than new. I've been enjoying it more than at any time previously. Of course, all new audio gear makes a difference ! :)

Cheers,
    Bob

23. I bought this brand new in 1987 It's CS5000. It's very clean , new belt. Just need to really upgrade the cart this year. I love the wood finish

24. Joel27

Joel27 Member

VPI 1.1 New to my system.

Attached Files:

25. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

This probably shoould have posted under a yard sale forum, but my wife found this Marantz model 6300 at a yard sale for $8. Has a Pickering with a broken needle. I have cleaned, lubed and will put a cart on soon to fully test. Everthing appears to work!

IMGP0528.JPG IMGP0529.JPG IMGP0530.JPG IMGP0531.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.