The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Meant to knock away any pizza toppings that may have fallen on to the record

sfoclt and timztunz like this.
  2. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

Superb machine. I had two of those up until 10 years ago, they were pulled out of a Vancouver radio station - and were mounted in some crazy heavy wooden bases. Can't remember the tone arm. Anyways put them for sale on Ebay and was able to buy my entire DJ hardware setup with what I made from those... Seemed to be popular in Japan for some reason.

timztunz and PhilBiker like this.
  3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

timztunz likes this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I'm into renewable energy, so I made a wind powered turntable. For political reasons, I cannot use an electric fan to power it, and these days the air has been very still.

So I used my own breath to power it. I didn't even get one minute into the song before I passed out from hyperventilation.

I may use this to get to sleep every night.

[​IMG]

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Take a look at the VTA when you get a chance - looks a tad high.

Donniej and timztunz like this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

With this set-up, I have finally been able to reach my dream goal of having my music play in three rooms of my house at once.

I invited an audiophile friend over so we could walk from room to room while hearing the same record, even though they were out-of-synch a smidgen

He told me that I really did not need three separate amplifiers to get the music playing in three rooms.

My wife had to tell him that I do not like to get advice.

[​IMG]

7. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

8. Hglaser

Hglaser Well-Known Member

@Jimi Floyd, Thanks. I'll work on the hole, and the MC cart. This hobby never ends. . ..

Jimi Floyd and timztunz like this.
  9. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Well, I might as well jump into the mix.

[​IMG] :wiggle:

[​IMG] :nauga:

[​IMG] :cop:

eis01, Funky54, Kristofa and 24 others like this.
  10. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

Litejazz53, where did you get those cartridge screws for your Shure cart? Were they the ones supplied with the cartridge? I just mounted a new Shure m97xe on my Scout and the screws they supplied work, but I would prefer longer ones that I can use washers with. The openings on the Scout slots on the headshell are so wide. Thanks! Looks nice!

11. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Thanks for the compliment, that turntable was one of 4 or 5 that VPI built with parts from other tables, they were getting rid of stuff, which is how mine has no name plate on it and has the super thick acrylic platter, and I think the arm is a bit different from others I seen as well. In regard to those screws, I do like them as well, and for whatever reason, they came with the turntable when I purchased it, they were in a little bag, I was very happy to get them, as I had nothing that looked as nice or worked as well. :righton:

12. Soundsmith sells these: EZ Mount Cartridge Screws | Soundsmith

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

No artsy high end 78 players?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NEVER! NEVER PLAY AN EDISON RECORD WITH A STEEL NEEDLE!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  14. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Congrats buddy that's a fine deck:cheers:

timztunz likes this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When I need to play back coded messages, I always use my secret turntable ring

[​IMG]

BigGame, GMcGilli and JazzFanatic like this.
  16. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

You don't see a Trio/Kenwood L07D very often - beautiful table and would be worth squillions today. I went with the Technics Sp-10 Mk3 instead and put a Breuer Mk8C tonearm and Breuer Type 80 cartridge on it, but I bet that sounds every bit as good. All gone now.

jusbe and box of frogs like this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have a couple of Technics SP-10's in my attic, not mounted. It sounds as if they may be worth something to someone...Should I dig them out?

PhilBiker, Mad shadows and HiFi Guy like this.
  18. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Someone would definitely want them.

Mad shadows likes this.
  19. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

I'd say - if you're truly interested in selling them - someone would buy those. Do a search for them on Ebay. You will see them selling for $3k, $4k, $6k, $7k. Of course - they are mounted with custom tone arms etc. But those prices are just for one.

technics sp-10 | eBay

They're popular for the nature that you can totally customize them.... That's why my 15's were snapped up really easily back when I sold them. They're perfect for people who like to make a project.

20. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

Cheers John: the only reason I would ever chop this in would be for either a Pioneer Exclusive P3a, a Nakamichi TX1000/Dragon CT or indeed the SP10 Mk.3. Like all of these wonderful old DD turntables: you need to know who can service them to keep them going for another 20-30 years. I was lucky with mine (Vantage Audio in the UK, now no longer trading), and there are a few good DD experts out there. They're all just wonderful pieces of engineering excellence (mine is 37 years old and after a full rebuild, in fabulous operating condition): I would need to know that £80k dropped on a new Techdas Air Force would give me the same level of confidence in future years...

Quick edit: BNIB Nakamichi:

Nakamichi TX-1000, mint in box for sale.

Nom nom...

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If my power fails, I go to my old "humpback Victrola" This is my model:

[​IMG]

Do you know why they designed the top as a "humpback"? The original designers insisted that such a fine instrument should never have stuff stacked on top, and the humpback and sloping sides prevented that. But consumer complaints eventually led the Victor Company to make flat-top players, and people started stacking stuff high on top. People got no respect.

These things cost about as much as an automobile when they were new. Why was there a keyed lock on both the player and the record cabinets (sides)? Because if you had one, you did not want your servants playing your prized records while you were away working as VP of the local bank. Only the wealthy could afford these,

That tonearm is gold plated, and so is the key.

How come all those naked high end tables shown in this thread don't have no lock and key?

22. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

I figured it was where you slip in the tiny piece of magic eraser so that the grooves get ME clean before the stylus can track Da groove, debris free..........brushes are too delicate imho

23. honestabe316

Cuz most servants today don't even know what vinyl is let alone how to play it

24. honestabe316

Not mine....but I want one......I could sell the metal platters to a scrap yard and buy something I could move if I needed to without having to rent a crane....[​IMG]

Gavinyl and PhilBiker like this.
  25. honestabe316

THE irony here is that he's playing Beibers new album...oh the pain boss....the pain !!!!