The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 29, 2013.

1. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I'm not gonna lie fellas, if I hit the lottery big I will have this or something like this in the house before I buy any kind of exotic sports car or Jet aircraft etc.

2. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Well, since you are not lying, I won't lie either! If I hit the lottery big, I would go for the exotic blonde, then scale back a bit and go with a VPI Avenger Plus. With the blonde and the Avenger Plus, I would be set. Then I would have something to play with and also have something to play my Pickwick and ATCO 60's records and my RCA special production 32 gram vinyl on. Winning combination. :righton:

3. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Love the blue formica counter!!!!

PhilBiker likes this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

They make a gyroscopic mounting base for use in private jets for $200,000. Problem is you have to listen on $200 noise-cancelling headphones

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Is the VPI Avenger Plus one of those inflatable dolls you get at an adult toy store? How much? Does it come with a rubber patch kit? And can you save a little by getting the standard VPI model? (What does that stand for anyway? Very Poor Imitation?)

6. Marco Benedetti

Marco Benedetti Active Member

Hi, yes, I got a stock on eBay of about a dozen of 16" records from the American Army Radio, with dance music of the 40s; some of them start from the inner groove and move outwards ;)

About the table upgrade, yes, I did the necessary for using the table in a modern hi-end system, but I made nothing not reversible (no new holes on the chassis, or similar monstruosity)
    I have a glass platter in place of the original plastic one and the tonearms are Fidelity Research FR-66 in place of the original Ortofon (same mounting distance). Then, out of the photo, there are a shockabsorber base and a power supply made by a former EMT engineer.
    But the arm lifts are the EMT originals, I removed the FR ones! :D

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  7. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have never looked into it, but can you buy new 16 inch tonearms at a very reasonable price? I have no need for anything high end or even medium. After all, these are 16 inch records from the 40's. I have a vintage one, but I'd like one with interchangeable head shells for alternate cartridges

Some AFRS (Armed Forces Radio Service) 16 inch records just were transfers of commercial records, some were transcriptions from commercial radio broadcasts, and only some were unique recordings.

I also have various Transcription Records (all unique recordings). A dear friend of mine had thousands. One extremely well known Sinatra "person" stole a pile of the rarest Sinatra "glass" records from him, but my friend never did anything about it (this was more than 20 years ago)

9. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    My newbie and old standby

hanzo, 33na3rd, BigGame and 6 others like this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have two very rugged though small (11 inches X 11 inches X 3 inches) carrying cases that each held 10 well protected 78s and a booklet which were given to soldiers in the trenches of World War I (you know, circa 1917). One was common phrases in French and the other was common phrases in German. The soldiers were supposed to learn these German and French phrases in case they got separated from their fellow soldiers.

I expect that this might be the type of player that they had in those mud-and-blood-filled trenches.

[​IMG]

action pact, BigGame, jwhvt and 8 others like this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Does anyone know where I can get an audiophile 16 RPM turntable.

This player
    [​IMG]

will not play this record:

[​IMG]

I also have several "Ultra-Microgroove" records with 30 minutes per side of a 7 inch record at 16 RPM. The grooves are so fine that you cannot see them with a naked eye. The record just looks like it has a buffed sheen. These were never successful, because they required a special stylus. A "microgroove" stylus (LP stylus) typically just bounced along and never would play the record. The Miles is not ultra-microgroove.

Virtually every record player from the mid 50's to the mid 60's had a 16 RPM speed (for all those kids studying French with their ALM records). It was good for making Frankie Valli (The Four Seasons) sound like a basso-profundo on "Big Girls Don't Cry"

[​IMG]

Read Up on 16 RPM

CAPS 2010 APN

and

CAPS 2010 APN

These are different links (or use the tabs at the top of the page to get both chapters)

My wife tells me that she likes her men at 16 RPM. She has little use for those 45 RPM guys.

Aftermath and PhilBiker like this.
  12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

In the UK the easy and affordable option would be a Goldring Lenco GL-75 or similar, I still occasionally see them for under £100, even in stock form a good example will do justice to a 16 RPM record.

nm_west likes this.
  13. Marco Benedetti

Well, I'm not the right person to speak about reasonable priced hi-fi stuff, but I think "new 16 inch tonearms at a very reasonable price" is an oxymoron. :D

Rickchick and timind like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

"Oxymoron". Is that a pain killer? I try to keep away from that stuff. I use music to take care of pain.

Maybe I can take a 12 inch tonearm, cut it in the middle and use something to extend it a few inches. Maybe a good quality soda straw?

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My record player is bigger than your record player

[​IMG]

wbhendrix likes this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This was my friends player, but I outdid him.

[​IMG]

ti-triodes, Rickchick and PhilBiker like this.
  17. Marco Benedetti

Well, you asked for new tonearms...
    You may have better luck (with a bit of patience) on eBay or garage sales; maybe I'd look for a Rek-O-Kut tonearm, but I'm not up-to-date on current prices.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have a Rek-O-Kut 16 inch table and arm, but I don't have extra headshells. I would not mind rebuilding my Technics SP-10 table into a 16 inch table, but prefer not to take apart the Rek-O-Kut

19. Marco Benedetti

Wait, wait. :)
    I'm a little confused, or, if you prefer, I've taken literally "reasonably priced", so I understood you were looking for entry level stuff, while the SP-10 (MkII, I assume) plays in 1st league.
    Rebuilding the SP-10 with a 12" TA is of course a great idea, I did the same few years ago and it came out very well.
    This base is about 12 cm. of marine plywood, 6 lairs of 2 cm. each; I used 4 "door stoppers" with an air bubble inside as isolating feet.
    I made a removable tonearm base, so It's possible to easily switch from 9" to 12" arms. I mean, you don't need to have the long tonearm to start rebuilding the SP-10! ;)

[​IMG]

56GoldTop, 33na3rd, BigGame and 4 others like this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have two Technics SP-10's for free from the radio station where I have been for 40 years (They remodeled and tossed all the old stuff). At this point, I don't want to spend big bucks on 16 inch tonearms for an occasional playback of my 16 inch records. I'm a fixed income guy caring for three disabled adults. The SP-10 project may happen or may never happen, given that I have plenty of other tables. That is a very nice design!

PhilBiker likes this.
  21. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Thorens TD 124
    Thorens TD 125

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Well here is a real find!

[​IMG]

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Super high end.

[​IMG]

PhilBiker likes this.
  25. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

MY new Clearaudio Concept Wood with their Satisfy Arm and Maestro V2 Ebony MM Cartridge. I also picked up a new Graham Slee Accession Phono Pre. I have been through a bunch of turntables, VPI Classics( a couple), HW19, and some other brands. When it was time for another table, after not having one awhile, I looked around. I wanted something different, no Unipivot arms. This particular table came up on special, I read a lot about it, and like the kind of Retro look with the wood and large speed control know up front, speed adjustment, etc... With the Graham Slee Accession this sounds very nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

eis01, PooreBoy, Quake1028 and 20 others like this.