The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Nascimento Brasil

Nascimento Brasil Forum Resident

In a few words, Tim makes an excellent summary of Brazil!

2. Nascimento Brasil

Bill, I'm glad to hear that you have fond memories of Brazil! Those are good times! In 1982, the Concorde made its last flight to Rio de Janeiro! As Tim said, we have a good community of audiophiles and melomanos, am in the middle, currently I just hear, lol

3. Waxxy

Waxxy Cold Turkey

Thank you for your kindness Nasc, I am quite happy with the turntable, but like most, I'm curious to hear others!

There is not much to say about the armwands other than to say they are all vintage VPI at the original 10 inch length, before the move to 10 1/2. Each one is different from the next and it seems VPI changed designs often. Each one is compatible with the fluid damping system and for me that is the key advantage over the newer VPI arms. I tried the 3D arm but moved back to the older, fluid damped arms.

I've tried a bundle of cartridges as this is the easiest way for me to tweak the overall sound of my system. I'm a fan of Japanese cartridges and currently have a Dynavector, a Koetsu, an Audio Technica and a Nagoaka mounted on my 4 armwands.... two Moving Magnet and two Moving Coil. Fun stuff.

The cartridge mounted in the turntable photo above is a Lyra Kleos. Here's a few more photos of some cartridges I've tried...

Dynavector 17dII. I'm now using a 17D3.

[​IMG]

Paradox Pulse / Denon 103r

[​IMG]

Nagoaka MP-200

[​IMG]

47 Labs MC-Bee

[​IMG]

Archguy, shutdown66, vinnn and 12 others like this.
  4. Waxxy

Waxxy Cold Turkey

and a few more...

Koetsu Urushi

[​IMG]

Audio Technica AT-33 Mono

[​IMG]

Ortofon Mono

[​IMG]

Audio Technica AT-33ev

[​IMG]

Archguy, vinnn, Turntable and 19 others like this.
  5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

That's not a Shun Book record weight, is it? Every time I think about buying one, the price goes up! :)

Waxxy likes this.
  6. Waxxy

Waxxy Cold Turkey

Nope. I'm not made of Shun Mook-type money. It is made with mpingo wood though. It's made by Club Wood in Korea and is a combo of mpingo and brass. The other weight in the photos is by Black Diamond Racing.

33na3rd likes this.
  7. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

nice. I have some ebony here, but it is not mpingo. There's a wood craftsman who has worked on the house we bought, but I'm afraid if I asked him to make me something from it, it would cost more than the Mook!
    I can definitely hear the difference between different weights and clamps. The Shun Mook is supposed to be the bomb.

Nascimento Brasil and Waxxy like this.
  8. Nascimento Brasil

Bill, do you already use Kuzma?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Since we are talking record weights, here's a picture of my Clearaudio Avantgarde sporting a homemade wood, chrome and acrylic/epoxy weight, riding with a Benz Micro Wood SL while playing one of my favorite records of the year, the 2-LP clear vinyl Persona album from Rival Consoles ... the heavy brass Micro Seiki ST-10 and machined aluminum weights are off to the side ...

[​IMG]

Funky54, Archguy, BigGame and 19 others like this.
  10. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

And Up In Flames up next! Nicely chosen.

Davey likes this.
  11. Davey

I do love that record, ever since it first came out under his original Manitoba name in 2003. The one in the picture is the red flame RSD issue from (I think) 2013. I just recently played it over and over, but if it was next up, that would be fine with me too, never get tired of it. I was kinda thinking Tender Buttons by Broadcast may be next up.

JMAC likes this.
  12. Droogmeister

Droogmeister Welcome to the Atrocity Exhibition

13. Davey

Very nice pictures, you really have a knack for framing the cartridges and adding some drama and contrast to the scenes, well done. Wish we could all be so artistic, though it's still fun to see all the different tables and cartridges and systems around here, regardless of the camera skills on display :)

Archguy, Waxxy and Nascimento Brasil like this.
  14. Tropehjelm

Tropehjelm Forum Resident

My Micro Seiki BL77
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    BigGame, Turntable, Donniej and 7 others like this.
  15. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

Oh man, all the great equipment I got now and I am totally hooked on playing my old 45's on this baby, my first recordplayer I found on a Dutch ebaylike place! [​IMG]

PS how do i uploud my pic from photobucket? I've done it before but it's not working anymore)

displayname likes this.
  16. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Shun Mook? I had to look this up. $3200. :crazy:

17. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Yeah, it's pricey. It was pricey when it was cheaper, too. I'm using the Stillpoints record weight and you can definitely hear a difference between that and the stock screw down clamp on my Kuzma. Franc K. sells an ebony record weight as an accessory that is a fraction of the price of the Mook (spell check wants to say 'Book'); I may try it at some point when I've run out of things to spend money on--but as a retired pensioner living on my investments, I'm very judicious in how I spend my money these days. :)

18. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

You got me! No, I just responded below (above) re the Shun Mook pricing. I bought a Stillpoints LP1 weight and it sounded dramatically different than the stock weight/screw down clamp on the XL. When I talked to Franc about alternatives, he mentioned his ebony weight- have you tried it?
    The Stillpoints required me to adjust the system to add more woofer gain; the stock weight/clamp seems to give the XL a more propulsive sound but compared to the Stillpoints, it isn't as relaxed sounding. So, I'm still using the Stillpoints. I did switch back to the stock weight/clamp a while ago, and had the same result-- more drive, more 'wham' from the stock weight, but more relaxed (albeit with less bass requiring retuning of the subs) with the Stillpoints.

19. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Love my AT-33EV!

Waxxy likes this.
  20. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Based on your posts/pictures I'd say maybe not so much :laugh:

Slick Willie likes this.
  21. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Much of my spending occurred while I was still actively practicing law based in NYC.
    Now, without that kind of income, I am a little more low key on the spending. But, I've always spent money on hi-fi. And I think, as I age-- i'm in my mid-'60s now-- what am I going to do with all this stuff in 10 or 20 years? (Perhaps a topic for a different thread for geezers, don't want to derail this one).

Slick Willie and inperson like this.
  22. Nascimento Brasil

Waxxy, it seems that your ability with the camera, compares to your good taste with the cartridges, congratulations!
    Very interesting your tonearm system!
    I also have a passion for listening to different cartridges and tonearms, my preference is divided between Japanese and European!
    If you let me, I'll show you my cartridges!
    Nothing too expensive, but they ensure a great fun!

The SPU Collector box, these are my favorite cartridges!

[​IMG]

Ortofon SPU 85th

[​IMG]

Ikeda 407/Ortofon SPU 85th

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Archguy, vinnn, Record Fan and 23 others like this.
  23. Nascimento Brasil

VDH Colibri

[​IMG]

Kuzma 4Point / Koetsu Jade Platinum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AT Ref

[​IMG]

AT 45th Mono
    [​IMG]

Archguy, vinnn, Turntable and 19 others like this.
  24. Nascimento Brasil

Some that were not presented individually are in the organizer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As children, we like to show our toys to new friends rsrsrsrsrs

Archguy, vinnn, Turntable and 14 others like this.
  25. Nascimento Brasil

Hi Bill, I also do not like the stock weight / screw down clamp on the XL, I prefer others!
    I really like Kuzma eboni, I think you should know!
    Orthophon SPU (my favorites) may not be hi-end, but they are "warm and relaxing" combine very well with Kuzma eboni, I listen for hours without hearing fatigue!

Waxxy and Johnny Vinyl like this.