The Pineapple Thief new album "Dissolution" (2018.08.31)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DesertChaos, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Dissolution is indeed another winner for the Thief! Can't stop playing it! There's no denying that Gavin's input really stands out but I do believe his influence has helped to elevate Bruce's abilities as a songwriter too. That White Mist - WOW! These songs are going to sound amazing live! :)

ian christopher likes this.
  2. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

I have only listened one time but am very much enjoying this release. What I wanted to comment on was the pressing- first rate :ed:!
    Flat, quiet and dynamic...very nice

3. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

I agree. Very nice vinyl pressing. Love those drums! Gavin has indeed elevated the songwriting.

ian christopher likes this.
  4. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

The addition of Gavin on the last two LP's is what keeps me interested in PT...His percussion adds an entire level of music to their song structure- awesome..

24voltsdc likes this.
  5. manco

manco Forum Resident

Pretty good, but it didn't wow me. I guess Bruce Soord is not the effervescent genius that he wish he could be. Gavin Harrison gives him that extra oomph on the percussion side, but the songs just don't feel 'there'. Even Steven Wilson's latest mediocre effort 'To the Bone' sounds unforced in comparison.

6. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

Listened to the Blu-ray last night. Good album, but surround mix is very uninspired and disappointing. Whoever did the 5.1 mix for this one needs to listen more to how Steven Wilson does multichannel, because Dissolution in surround seems a little too tied to the stereo mix.

Maybe further listens will reveal subtle choices, but the first impression wasn't that great.

7. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Since Gavin joined the band, I was always curious how he was going to tackle the band's early catalogue - and colour me impressed after watching the Where We Stood show. :)

8. Swisstrips

Swisstrips Forum Resident

Anyone feel the there is something missing with the mix (2ch)? Most notably, there is something missing from the mids + maybe some sparkle in the highs imho. It seems a bit dull and lifeless compared to their other releases. Don't get me wrong the music is fantastic and is probably one of their best efforts to date. I received the BD last week, ripped it to WAV and have been listening constantly, love it!

Maybe it was something with my ripping process, doubtful though. Although I do recall seeing in DVD Audio extractor, there were two 2 channel choices available, both 24/96 LCPM to choose from, anyone know what that means?

9. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I noticed more nuances and other details in the Hi-Res compared to the CD. Great to listen to with a great pair of headphones. :D

ti-triodes likes this.
  10. Swisstrips

The more I have listened to it the more I have sort of ignored the somewhat dullness. The drums are pretty solid (Gavin does his own mix) and low freq is certainly there, but at first listen i was like, WTH is going in here. I thought it was me, but I’m pretty certain it’s the mix.

I may try and re-rip a few just for kicks

11. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

No dullness to my ears on the vinyl or CD.

12. Swisstrips

Thanks for your comments @marblesmike and @FVDnz

Dunno, maybe their other releases have less higher freq rolloff or something. I had a friend over who isn't familiar with TPT and made similar comments almost immediately. Maybe my rig is too revealing, I honestly cannot fig it out.

Its very strange, after playing other music and then switching to this album its immediately noticeable, like I said, its like someone turned down the "treble" a couple clicks. It almost seems like a phase thing, but I have everything pretty well sorted in my rig and don't experience this with anything else. Its a mystery :) Absolutely love this album though, really a killer release.

FVDnz likes this.
  13. USAF Chief

USAF Chief Forum Resident

With the blu-Ray you also get the acoustic unplugged versions of 6 of the tracks with a bonus...this release is gold. The acoustic stuff is intoxicating. Hard to stop listening.

I certainly don’t feel anything’s missing... listening to DTS-HD Master Audio with Oppo-205, direct through Outlaw amp to KEF R series speakers. Love this release.

FVDnz, marblesmike and DesertChaos like this.
  14. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

how is everyone here comparing Dissolution to Your Wilderness in terms of song quality?

I loved Your Wilderness.

15. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Very similar. I think Threatening Wars and Far Below are the standout tracks on Dissolution, but I think Your Wilderness is a bit stronger overall while not being as consistent throughout as Dissolution.

DaverJ likes this.
  16. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

Nicely put - this is pretty much my exact take on the comparison of the two albums.

17. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Yep, marblesmike nailed it.

18. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

love their nickname "The Thief"

Fantastic band, love both Your Wilderness and Dissolution. Need to dig deeper into their catalog.

19. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

My suggestion would be Tightly Unwound, or my favourite album of them: Variations On A Dream.

20. Awsmund

Awsmund Forum Resident

^^ I'm probably not the only one apart from mattazing here who have Variations On a Dream as the favourite Thief album. I would like to chip in 10 Stories Down as well due, in part, to the amazing two closer tracks on that album.

As for dullness on Dissolution.. try to remember that Dissolution is an anomaly in 2018, with a DR13 rating, hence it's highly dynamic and "laid back" versus a lot of other releases where everything is much louder and hence can give the impression of "more sparkle".

ian christopher and mattazing like this.
  21. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I don't know that I have a clear favorite between Dissolution and Your Wilderness. Both are top notch.

Swisstrips, 24voltsdc and calgary669 like this.
  22. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Need to take this for a spin real soon as I've had it since release and not found time to listen, really want to listen to the surround mix first otherwise I'd have had it in the car ages ago.

Just scored tickets to the Toronto date in November, it's at a small club with great sound (seen The Temper Trap and Mojave 3 there) and will be first time seeing TPT live.

Anyone that's seen them, do they ever do quadraphonic sound at their gigs like Steven Wilson? I know Bruce is a big fan of surround so for this particular artist the question doesn't seem foolish to ask.

23. Awsmund

Awsmund Forum Resident

Never seen them do that. Saw them earlier this month and it was standard setup.

24. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I bought this on the BluRay, but probably have only played the 5.1 mix once and have mostly listened to the record on Tidal. It is a good one though, and eventually I'll get a blu drive and rip the audio so I have easier access to those acoustic tracks.

25. Dexter_prog

Dexter_prog Active Member

there's something wrong with the mix of this album and their previous, which sounds quite similar, so I guess was mixed/mastered by the same person. There are some sections where I can hear clipping/distortion/whatever. I'm currently listening to their previous record, so this is what I remember. For example on the verse of Tear You Up, there's some weird poping on the right channel during the guitar arpeggios. Same happens on No Man's Land near the half-end of the song at 2:24 and on (during the bass note that lasts about 1 second). What the hell?

I'm also sure this happens on some tracks of Dissolution, for example on Try As I Might at 1:10. I tried different platforms and the CD and both my stereo setup and my mobile phone, seems to happen everywhere so it's not my gear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.