The PJ Harvey Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hollow Horse, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy Thread Starter

Time to hold up Dorset's finest, Polly-Jean Harvey who is one of my favourite artistes.

[​IMG]

But how poles apart are the raw remnants of the 4-Track Demo's and the songs on Hope Six Demolition Project?

I am caught firmly in between. I was reading on Stereogum, her albums ranked from worst to best and Let England Shake was at nine, an album I would place maybe higher but not too much - I thought she thought she was some kind of Kate Bush on this work? On Battleship Hill is still gorgeous though.

On her productions with John Parish, I quite like Dance Hall At Louse Point, far more so than A Woman A Man Walked By. There are only a couple of songs I really care for on it though - Un Cercle Autour du Soleil Heela and Rope Bridge Crossing - all that slide guitar will put me in the mood for some Ry Cooder!

Perhaps White Chalk was the last album I really rated and it does seem that the pre-millenium albums are more admired by most. Pocket Knife stands out for me and there's a great version with Marianne Faithfull of No Child Of Mine, far better than the abridged version on Uh Uh Her. I find the squashed vocals on The Dark Days Of Me And Him disappointing - the song has great potential.

The opener on White Chalk - The Devil - there's some KB influences here for sure but I don't mind this, it;s a quirky little number and a good choice for the introduction. And Dear Darkness begins in the same key and holds your attention. There's a lot more piano work on White Chalk which is what endears me to it though in truth there are just a few songs on it that stand out for me.

Dry was really where the journey began of course and this is an album I can always return to though mostly for Water and Victory.

Isn't Big Exit great? It opens Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea (2000). If there is a PJ Harvey 'pop' album then this is it. It is where she is carefree, the songs less complicated and is the album in her cannon that might appeal most to the more casual observer. You Said Something appears on here which I love, I remember buying it as a CD single though oddly it is not listed in the singles on her Wiki discography -
    I know I'm not imagining it because it's here... PJ Harvey - You Said Something - however I can't remember the male vocalist on it now (though someone will know) - This Mess We're In where she duets with Thom Yorke sure isn't too bad either.

I reckon Is This Desire (wow, I so love Angeline) and To Bring You My Love are both solid albums but overall perhaps Rid Of Me is her best album - opinions please!

2. Tropehjelm

Tropehjelm Forum Resident

One of my favourite artists. I love all her albums,but would put Is This Desire,Rid Of Me,Dry,and To Bring You My Love a little above the rest. An artist who deserves some reissues soon. I have been wanting a Complete Box set,with a couple of B-Sides,and rarities disc in it. I still dont have Is This Desire on vinyl.

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

One of my favorite albums of this decade

[​IMG]

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I need to have a closer look at PJ. I bought Stories from the city for my wife, and loved it.
    I may need to check up some more of her stuff.

5. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I hope you don't mind, I just want to dress up this thread a bit. :love:

6. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Love her. Love all of her records and she is the most consistently brilliant live performer I’ve ever seen. I’ve seen her around 20 times and she’s been stunning every time - saw her front row centre at both nights during her Edinburgh Festival stint last year and I think those were probably my 2 favourite shows of hers that I’ve seen - such a stunningly realised show and a fantastic band/performance all around.

What Bowie accomplished throughout the 70’s, she’s managed since 1991 - and that’s the highest praise one can give..

7. Hollow Horse

The anthemic and magnificent Victory :love:

8. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I like some albums far more than others of course but it really bears stating that she has never made anything close to a BAD record. With a career as long and diverse as hers, that really is saying something.

9. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

She seems so mysterious and interesting to me, but I only have heard one song of hers and I didn’t mind it much, but to be honest, I haven’t listened to any other song.

What album would you recommend me?

Off topic I know, but exactly this way I became a Siouxsie fan, so maybe it could happen with PJ too :)

The Silver Beetles likes this.
  10. Hollow Horse

Well is there anyone anywhere who sees the value in 4-track demos? I can live with the songs but the production or lack of finesse is something that has always disturbed me. Nothing wrong with roughage of course, maybe I just crave the more wholesome meal.

11. Hollow Horse

White Chalk I would say, or perhaps Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea. While both are mid-career range they might appeal to a newcomer more than the rawer Rid Of Me.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  12. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Do you recall the song?

I would say start with Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea. It's probably her most accessible and it still satisfies many years after its release. If you don't like that, I'm not sure how much you might like any of her more challenging albums.

pexie, 905, scarfaceclaw and 3 others like this.
  13. Black Magic Woman

Stories From The City..... will do it! Thank you!
    (The song was Down By The Water I think).

14. mark winstanley

the first song of hers I heard

bug2362, pexie, frightwigwam and 6 others like this.
  15. mark winstanley

second song I heard of hers

16. Hollow Horse

Here's the cracking curtain-raiser (just for a taster)... :thumbsup:

bluemooze, ultron9, DTK and 3 others like this.
  17. mark winstanley

Stories was a great album and my wife loved it and I was surprised how good i thought it was. Really top class

mikmcmee, pexie, ultron9 and 3 others like this.
  18. mark winstanley

This is my wife's favourite song off the album ... Featuring Thom Yorke from Radiohead

19. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

An amazing artist. I caught some shows many years ago with her original band and they were incredible. Explosive. I've not kept up with her music. This thread is a good reminder to look into some of her more recent works. Thanks!

Tropehjelm and mark winstanley like this.
  20. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

I know it will sound ridiculously hyperbolic, but I think it's genuinely one of the best albums ever. A sweeping, masterfully-realized artistic and political statement - a bona fide *important* album.

Love Polly Jean. Always ready for a new album from her.

21. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Is there any new work soon to be released?

22. Black Magic Woman

I’m listening to this track right now! Loving it :love:

Binni, 905 and mark winstanley like this.
  23. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

My favorites are To Bring You My Love. Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea and Uh Huh Her.

hometime likes this.
  24. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I like the 4 Track Demo AND the demos featured on the limited release of Dry. Yes, it is time for a CD box set that features B sides and Rarities.

25. mark winstanley

If you like the stuff you've heard, I reckon you'll love that album :righton: