The Point out on DVD!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lisa, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Is it in stores? I did not see it at BB yesterday. There was some debate as to if it was a 3/23 or 3/30 release. Maybe Jamie knows...................

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I looked everywhere for it (7 stores). Couldn't find a copy. Is this another false release date?

I did get some hope when I saw a review of the DVD but as Reechie says, I'll believe it when it's in my hands.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

My experience:

Ken: Do you have a new release DVD of a film called "The Point". I believe it was supposed to be released yesterday.

Borders Clerk: [looks it up] It says we have three. Did you look in the children's section?

Ken: Yes, that's where I started.

Borders Clerk: Let me call Melissa. [pages Melissa][To Melissa]Do we have a film called the point?[pause][To Ken]What kind of a film is it?

Ken: An animated film from the 70s with Harry Nilsson & Ringo Starr

Borders Clerk: [To Melissa]A cartoon.[pause, listening][To Ken]We must not have unpacked it yet. It's probably still in a box in the storage room. If you come back in a couple of days, we should have it on the shelves.

Ken: Is there any way you could retrieve one from the storage room now?

Borders Clerk: No one has a key

Ken: Will anyone with a key be able to access it later this evening if I came back?

Borders Clerk: Well there are a lot of titles in the boxes. Try back in a couple of days.

Ken: Goodbye.

..and that's as close as I have come. :)

Regards,

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

We're closing in on it. :)

Great story Ken.

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I just picked it up today at Amoeba for $13.98, so it's definitely been released.

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

How's the sound? Mono, Stereo, 5.1?

7. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Thanks for the tip! Who is doing the narration on the DVD version?

8. Ken_McAlinden

I went back to the same store and found a more savvy salesperson who put the DVD in my hand within 90 seconds of my asking about it yesterday evening.
    It has a stereo and a DD5.1 surround track. Do not waste your time with the DD5.1 track. It has a lot of artificial reverb added, even during the pure narration segments with no music. It sounds like someone is using a "hall" setting on a cheap surround receiver. The stereo track sounds fine and is DD encoded at 224kbps.
    This is the Ringo version.

Regards,

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I just spent an hour or so looking for this DVD.

Best Buy did not have it. I had the dude check the computer, it comes up as a "Bestbuy.com" only title! :shake:

Circuit City did not have it

Barnes and Nble did not have it

Suncoast did not have it

Musicland did not have it

Borders & Books had it!! LIST PRICE!! :realmad: $14.99

Got it, haven't played it yet.

:-jon

10. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

Went to Best Buy last night and it wasn't even listed in their computer

11. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Got it on sale at Tower for $10.99 last night. Haven't gotten to watch it yet.

-BZync

12. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Watched it last night. It looks just like the laser disc version. No extras at all. Just the film.

That's fine. I bought it for the film. But there could have been tons of extras. This story went on to be presented as stage shows (with some of the former Monkees). It went through at least two narrators (Ringo & Dustin Hoffman). A number of good stories.

Oh, well. My kids dig it.

-BZync

13. Ken_McAlinden

The Point has been presented with the following folks doing the "father/narration" part:

Dustin Hoffman
    Alan Barzman
    Ringo Starr
    Alan Thicke

I would love to hear the story behind why it was changed so many times. The IMDB says that Ringo did the voice on the "home video" release, but that Alan Thicke did the "third broadcast". I could have sworn I remembered seeing a broadcast of the Ringo version as a kid in the mid-late 70s, but it's possible that my memory is confounded by the fact that it was broadcast as a sort of double feature with Yellow Submarine.

Regards,

14. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

So, who's the narrator on the DVD?

15. Ken_McAlinden

Look up to post #9 in this thread.

(It's Ringo)

Regards,

16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Bought mine at Tower!

17. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Ken,

So would I. I watched this on TV when it first aired in 1971 in my college dorm room. We all freaked out (although we may have been under the infleunce, I can't say for sure). Soon, the soundtrack LP was issued and the rest was history. At the time, it was narrated from "that guy from Midnight Cowboy". I still don't know why they changed the narration so many times. Maybe Harry WANTED Ringo to do it?

BTW - You are correct about the 5.1 soundtrack. FORGET IT!!! :D :D

:-jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.