The Police: A Forgotten Band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

I think if you equate 'skill' with 'talent' you are making a crucial mistake. It is entirely possible to musically talented without being musically skilled. Inability to read music or play an instrument well has never stopped people from composing memorable songs.

A skilled instrumentalist can be technically dazzling but leave the listener emotionally cold; someone who knows only three chords and can only just about play them can hold an audience in rapt attention.

There are plenty of acts I like that could be categorised as punk. But I don't think 'skill' was ever a punk prerequisite.

Rojo likes this.
  2. Siegmund

I understood you and I gave you my answer: none.

3. Ziggy Stardog

Ziggy Stardog Forum Resident

Have you listened to The Dream of the Blue Turtles or the live Bring on the Night? With a band that included Branford Marsalis, Omar Hakim, and Kenny Kirkland, the music is so much more than something to "have on low in the background." Admittedly, Sting's music became less compelling over time, but I thought his solo career had a good beginning.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

30 years ago, I would've argued that each album was worse than its predecessor from "Outlandos" through "Ghost" before a bounce-back for "Synchronicity".

Now "Ghost" is my favorite Police album!

Really can't go wrong with any of them, though - all 5 albums are very good!

DavidD, Cat People, Lamus and 4 others like this.
  5. Siegmund

The Police clearly weren't punk: they might have seemed so if you gave them only a cursory glance and less than a cursory listen but their whole ethos was as un-punk as you could get. It wasn't just about instrumental skill levels (although they certainly mattered).

6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Excellent singles band, never made a completely satisfying album.

Siegmund likes this.
  7. Can you say Joe Bonamassa?

Weirwolfe and showtaper like this.
  8. Siegmund

It did; and he deserves credit for giving those musicians that kind of showcase, especially as I don't think they came cheap even at that point in their careers.

noahjld likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Even bands that weren't "punk" got that label back then - at least in the mainstream!

10. Siegmund

Horses for course, but no, I wasn't thinking of him.

11. Oatsdad

Oh, I totally disagree - depending on how you define "completely satisfying album".

Each of their albums had highs and lows, so I can't claim each one included nothing but classics.

That said, I think all their albums were more than satisfying, with "Synchronicity" as the most consistent of the bunch. I like all its tracks - including "Mother"!

ARK and Terrapin Station like this.
  12. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

You hit the nail on the head. I remember when "Message In A Bottle" came out. It was huge and I loved it. The rest, not so much, and find I never play my Greatest Hits anymore.

Siegmund likes this.
  13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

That's an absurd answer and just plain trollish. Not a single punk musician in history has ever been skilled on their instrument? Gotcha. :righton:

noahjld likes this.
  14. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'd guess he probably doesn't listen to a ton of punk and has a more caricatured view of it. And then probably some bands he's familiar with that he'd considered skilled he just doesn't classify as punk, maybe because of that fact.

SuntoryTime, jay.dee, noahjld and 2 others like this.
  15. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I think they're doing just fine. One of the factors is that their back catalogue is wat it is; 5 albums and some singles. Their comeback/reunion tour has many hallmarks of a cash-grab without much artistic drive (no new stuff, no new album). I think they're best enjoyed in small doses.

16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I guess the (incorrect) stereotype that punk bands only know and use three chords is still prevelant.

ralphb and Terrapin Station like this.
  17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

don't forget "and they play those three as fast and sloppy as possible while shouting over the din."

ralphb likes this.
  18. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

If you saw them on the Sychronicity tour, you didn’t forget they were the biggest band in the world:)

Cat People and danielbravo like this.
  19. namlook

namlook Forum Resident

Love the Police, listened to them a lot during my high school years in the late 80s. Saw the reunion concert and was massively disappointed. They did not seem to be into it at all.

20. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

His solo elevator music?

21. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Well for example:

The first one had 3 excellent singles on it and then maybe 1 other good track and then 5 very average ones at best.

The second one had 3 excellent singles on it (inc The bed's ...) and then maybe 2 other good tracks and then 6 very average ones at best.

etc

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

When I saw Sting in 1996 he started the show with two songs from his new album to a muted response, then he played "Synchronicity II" and the place exploded.

Yovra likes this.
  23. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I have the opposite feelings. I think heir albums are as even as anyone’s:)

ARK, Cat People, Comet01 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.