The Police at The Rock Hall Ceremony

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by teaser5, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

Man, I thought these guys sounded really great. I think that if they toured it would be huge. Egos aside, this band really sounded to me (based admittedly on just two songs) like they were really clicking. I, for one would run out and see that show.
    Sending out an S.O.S.
    Peace
    Norm

2. Ian

Ian Active Member

Oh maaaan! I forgot to set my VCR. Poopie!:mad:

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Good to see them guys together again, if only for a short while.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

They get along well. Andy is willing, and Stu is MORE than willing. Sting, OTOH, is protecting his investment, I think. He wants all his efforts to go into solo projects.

For me though, a new Police record and a new Sting record would be so, so stylistically seperate, in my own head.

5. JWB

JWB New Member

I thought the mutli-star singalong of "Every Breath You Take" was an embarassment. Totally ruined the moment for me.

If they did reuinte, I wish they would just play as a trio and ditch all the background singers and stuff.

6. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

And Sting probably has made the most money since thier breakup...he could go out on a limb financially for a world tour and one Police album IMO.

They were great! And like HZ said on another thread...they got another good album in them. I can't see them losing money on a new project.

Bring it on! :thumbsup:

7. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I didn't care for it either. And was John Mayer doing up there? :hurl: Gwen & Tyler I can sort of understand, but for their first performance in 18 years? I thought the long interlude :confused: during Roxanne took away some momentum as well.

8. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I have no doubt that a Police tour would gross a good deal more than a Sting tour.

But 3X as much? That's questionable.

I'm sure there would be a lot of hands in the pie, not not just the three guys on stage.

Heck, I'll admit this is one tour that might get me to pay the kind of money that The Eagles or Fleetwood Mac manage to charge. As long as my seats were decent...

They always rerun it a few times during the week.

9. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Has anyone seen a schedule for repeats? I forgot to set my VCR too! Double Poopie!

10. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Well, at least Dan Aykroyd wasn't up there! That guy has managed to sneak onstage at nearly every all star singalong/finale of the least 20 years. From Live Aid to the Oct. 2001 Concert For New York, he's there!'
    The "Where's Waldo" of rock and roll!:laugh:

11. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

I completely agree. For a rare reunion, keep it the core band! 'EBYT', started nicely, then when to hell when the others joined in. Hey, Stuart...nice job killing your drum.

12. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I think they will repeat it. After all they did an immediate repeat at 11pm Eastern right after the initial broadcast ended!

13. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

I watched the "behind the music" story on them earlier in the day on VH1. Nothing much more that I didn't already know, but it was good to see all three talking about it all.

Basically, they've all done well for themselves over the years. Sure, Sting's been the most visible, but I think Copeland's been the most actively busy.

If they decided to go into the studio tomorrow, they could just pick right up where they left off, musically, and still be relevant.

Unfortunately, so could the venom.

Joel

14. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I really enjoyed seeing them again last night. Stu was so into it he broke his snare!! :)

Todd

15. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

It's on again at 7:00 tonight. I forgot, too.

Ryan

16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Don't worry, VH1 will show it again. They always show the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame awards about a dozen times each year.

The Police were great! It sure didn't sound like 17 years had gone by since they performed in public. I would love to see a reunion album and tour.

17. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I think a Police reunion tour would be massive. They would do as well as the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac. I would pay $ 100 to go see them live.

18. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I thought they were ok, except Stuart who was great as always.
    I think a reunion concert wouldn't have any spark for the police because they are no longer a unit.
    I saw them for Ghost in the Machine and they were great. Couple of years later saw the Synchronicity concert and it was very lame. The hunger and edge were gone.

Joe Lee

19. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I am with you on this. I turned on the TV just when this was happening.
    I switched channels shortly afterwards.
    I am glad to hear this was not representative of their other efforts that evening, as I thought it STANK!

20. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I thought it was pretty good - better than I would have expected.

I did feel that Andy Summers was a bit restrained in his playing overall - so the "full" sound of the Police in their glory days was not as evident.

I agree, as far as it came off on TV. But that has been the way that Roxanne has been performed by The Police live since the first time I saw them in 1979. Although back then it was more powerful - and Sting "required" the audience to sing along with him doing "Roxanne-O".

I felt a smiliar feeling - that if they toured I would be right there, but then the thought came to my head that if The Police did reunite tickets would overpriced (probably $100+ for most seats), and would I really be willing to spend that much? Probably not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.