The Police - Ghost in the Machine reissue due Feb 2, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christopher B, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sting isnt hurting for money so we may never see them unfortunately

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That’s a shame. I’d welcome deluxe editions of all 5 Police albums, with unreleased live sets. The same goes for Dream Of The Blue Turtles. That alm could use a deluxe edition.

Christopher B likes this.
  3. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I’d like to see some kind of double or triple is needed of all of their ‘B’ side tunes that were not released on LP done very well mastered but that is me dreaming I guess. :rolleyes:

4. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Can't find in any brick and mortar stores just picked up used first press in VG+ condition sounds great, still like to pick up the reissue though

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Christopher B and Echoes Myron like this.
  5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The original Sterling cut is one of my favorite sounding records. The Abbey Road half speed is just a touch better (slightly more detail and clarity). Definitely worth picking up.

dee, misteranderson, marcb and 2 others like this.
  6. Christopher B

Found my Abbey Road remaster from Barnes and Noble. Used a coupon to offset the price. Sounds excellent.

Rupe33, DPM and tinnox like this.
  7. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Oh, what I wouldn't do for that! I did make a CD comp from the box set years ago, but a proper release would just be too cool. With the hi-hat intro to Shambelle restored. :)

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I wouldn’t hold my breath on it.

The only way this will ever happen is as part of box set. And I suspect any vinyl version in a box set will be be truncated to 1 LP.

These rarities discs just don’t generate much interest on their own, but can drive some sales of a box set to big fans. However they don’t drive enough vinyl box sales to justify the cost and/or higher price of a 2 or more LP set of rarities.

Then throw in that the CD box was already done...

9. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Barnes & Noble happened to have the Abbey Road 1/2 speed, so I snapped it up. Haven't had a chance to listen yet.

But yes, The Police were huge, in addition to being a fantastic live band, and deserved some kind of wide-ranging reissue program a long time ago.

That said, there are some really nice FM broadcasts from just about every tour, with the exception of the Ghost tour.

Derek Slazenger and dee like this.
  10. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

WNEW broadcast a bunch of them live.

11. Christopher B

Sting isnt hurting for money so I doubt any expanded releases will happen

12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

where are the 5.1 albums .... they are screaming for them! arrrrrrrrggggghhhhh

jamesc likes this.
  13. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

I grabbed the new half speed vinyl of Ghost In The Machine yesterday, it’s sounds fantastic.
    Also it’s very noise free, it has a certificate inside the vinyl explaining about the care and attention that went into this batch of remasters for vinyl.
    I wish all vinyl releases were handled like this.
    I stopped buying the Rhino Depeche Mode Vinyl because the surface noise was horrific on the 3 I grabbed, it was too bad to enjoy.

DPM likes this.
  14. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Yep. I picked this up a few weeks ago. They did a good job remastering this title for vinyl. It blows away my old SACD.

The vinyl quality is very high too.

dee and Talisman954 like this.
  15. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

one of my favorite albums from them. i still have my original album from them.

very happy with the half speed simple minds - new gold dream, and i expect this one
    to sound fantastic also.

i did have the original US cd, and got the remaster, so that was my go to versions.

later

16. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I wonder if this is part of what Andy Summer referred to as the catalogue being reissued this year or if this album will be reissued again in a boxset later in the year?

17. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Who pressed this?

18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, particularly Ghost In The Machine and Synchronicity would benefit from this kind of widescreen treatment. I'm not holding my breath. . .

dee and mark winstanley like this.
  19. I wouldn't mind seeing them do it more or less one each year up through 2023. If they do true Super Deluxe, it's too much money to release all at one time. But I would like to have the tracks in context of the original albums and with proper mastering. The box set omits a few tracks, cuts off one, and has "just ok" mastering as best. There's huge room for improvement there.

Adding the Synch live album to that set and the Ghost In the Machine tour live audio from the video release to that set would be much-appreciated. Would also love to have all the early material sitting next to the first album as it fits that more aggressive style and tone really well.

jamesc likes this.
  20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I have the "Outlandos" reissue. It sounds a little darker and less open than my garden variety early 80s pressing.

21. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

no, no, no, a thousand times no.

surround sound mixes would sound totally unnatural.

they had some DTS versions of their greatest hits, and those weren't that great.

later

22. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Great sounding LP. Pleased with the Abbey Road 1/2 speed remastering.

Talisman954 likes this.
  23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Well done 5.1 mixes don't sound unnatural. You either like the format or you don't.

24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I bought a sealed Vivante pressing of Outlandos. Miles ahead of the UK 1st pressing. Sounds alive and as if it were recorded yesterday. Terrific record. Cost me a pretty penny but I splurged after reading a bit about this specific pressing. Glad I went for it. They're becoming more and more rare.

The Police - Outlandos D'Amour

25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Good to know, thanks! Believe it or not, I was really surprised how good my "not exactly coveted" early 80s US pressing sounded. The Music On Vinyl reissue was a bit dull by way of comparison.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.