The Police on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Oct 24, 2005.

1. William Hall

William Hall Forum Resident

You're killing me, Ricks... :p

2. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Since 1988 there had not been a Synchronicity mastering that has been anything other than horrible [my opinion of course], same goes for Regatta. So I guess just bad or good luck now depending on ones point of view. Compared to the 38XB's the Synchronicity Platinum SHM-SACD is at best only a small upgrade and as mentioned in my review for me was gear specific. Of course it does have all 11 tracks and the original 38XB does not , and no pre-emphasis. So if you don't have the 38XB 11 track based mastering the Plat SHM-CD will fill the 11 track and no pre-emph void.

If you are going to get Synchronicity, then grab Reggata SHM-SACD too. The Platinum SHM-CD of Regatta as they are the same transfer but in redbook.

3. William Hall

Are you going to do your review on the Platinum SHM-CD of Reggatta de Blanc?

4. William Hall

The Platinum SHM-CD came in. It sounds awesome.

5. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I did an EQ analysis of Synchronicity and found that the new Japanese SHM-CD, which is said to be a flat transfer from the original master tape, is identical in EQ on all tracks to the original CD (which is excellent). So it would appear that either the original CD was a flat transfer from the original master tape, which is easily possible, or the new Japanese CD is a flat transfer not from the original master tape but from the original CD production master. Bob Ludwig's LP is also very close in EQ to both of them, though you have to beware the effect of the cartridge which never has a flat frequency response.

Regatta is another story. The new SHM-CD, said to be a flat transfer from the original master tape, has a quite startling top end clarity which certainly isn't a characteristic of either the original CD or LP. It's very nice in its way but unfortunately it's almost totally lacking in bass and for this reason my personal preference would be for ricks's previous favourite, the original CD - though I might try a bit of DIY mastering on the Japanese item one day!

William Hall likes this.
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It would be easy to see if they synch up.

7. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Agreed. Regatta SHM-SACD is what I wanted [Hi-res copy of the masters in effect] which is not right for everyone - especially when the original mastering can be had for under $5 in most used shops. The SHM-SACD though seems to have OK bass. I can't speak about the Plat SHM-CD as I do not have it makes me wonder if there are differences in the transfer and mastering.

Regarding Synchronicity - which original? As as plan9 said do they sync [no pun intended]?

8. back2vinyl

Well, there's me exaggerating again - I shouldn't have said "no bass", just a lot less bass than the stock CD. If you'll allow me just one quick chart, a picture speaks a thousand words. This is the EQ of Message In A Bottle. The stock CD is white, the SHM-CD is green, and one is on top of the other:

message.PNG

As you can see, while both are very similar in the middle, the white (stock CD) has all the bass and the green (SHMCD) has all the treble. It's quite a striking contrast and in my opinion it sounds just like it looks. But I totally agree, it's completely down to personal preference and I wouldn't blame anyone in the least for preferring the SHM-CD - if it only had a wee bit more bass it would be perfect for me.

The one you call the "original" or "stock" CD, that can be had for a few dollars.

I'm wondering how I could check for synch. They wouldn't be bit-for-bit identical. I believe they are both from exactly the same master tape (either the original master tape or a production master) but the equipment used in transferring them to digital was very different - the original CD done decades ago on very early equipment, the SHM done to a DSD master by different people on today's state-of the art equipment, so they are not going to null out by any means, though they'd be close.

GreenDrazi and Ulli like this.
  9. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi, maybe pla9 can do it for us if you arrange to get him the files? He is an audio engineer IIRC and has the know how.

After your analysis of Reggata really makes me wonder if the new SHM-SACD has more bass over the new SHM-CD's - or if it's simply my SACD chain that give me a decent low end? It will be many months at the very least before I replace my bad PS3 drive and can do a rip.....

10. back2vinyl

I haven't heard the SACD so I simply don't know, though as far as I know, it's the same mastering for the SHM-CD, the Platinum SHM-CD and the SHM-SACD - the description is exactly the same for all. BTW this is one of those where it's said to be "based on the original analog tape made in the UK" rather than a "flat ransfer from the original master tape" so I suppose that does leave open the possibility, however small, that it's from a production master.

I don't have a PS3 but I often rip SACDs by simply ripping the analog output from the RCA outs so there's always that possibility. Here's another thought, though - maybe it's speaker dependent. I've got big speakers that do huge bass and I really miss it if it's not there. The difference might not be nearly so noticeable to those with sensibly-sized speakers!

11. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Found a west German synchronicity in pretty good condition, in smooth case, missing front cover but strangely had 2 back inserts for 99 cents! Sound was a little low but sounded great in my car and stereo. Love the album but always skip that terrible track in the beginning.

12. ricks

ricks Senior Member

With exception of the not relevant center channel, my speakers are all large and capable of huge bass. I do pass my SACD [and DVD-Audio] through an Outlaw ICBM. Perhaps that has something to do with it or the SACD is not the same as the CD.

back2vinyl likes this.
  13. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi,

It will be a while as I like to put together a detailed analysis. I opted for the SHM-SACD not the Plat SHM. But, I am still thinking about picking up the Plat CD as I am pretty much a completest type collector on the album. A review at this point from would only the SHM-SACD. I will say this fans of the album should pick up the new SHM-SACD while it's still in print it is a very good mastering and in some respects I'm leaning toward it as my preferred digital.

Great!

14. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I have struggled with the decision to pick this one up or not since you posted this. "By a nose" as you say, is it worth it? I still can't make up my mind. Then there is the decision to go for the platinum or the regular SHM with the same mastering. I currently play the 38XB 11 track. I's just thinking, actually posting, "out loud". This was the first album that I completely fell in love with as a kid (I was in 3rd trade, wore the tape out).

15. ricks

ricks Senior Member

If you have either of the 38XB based mastering and you are not a huge fan of the album then I do not feel it's worth spending the extra money. While it's the first good mastering of Synchronicity in 25 years, any perceived sonic upgrade over the 38XB 10-track [with proper hardware de-emphasis] and the 38XB 11 track based mastering to me was extremely slight and mostly in the vocals area.

As for plat vs regular; since the sound at best is only a slight improvement over the 38XB based masterings if you have either of those to me it leaves the regular out since I feel that would only be for someone who is interested in sound quality. Therefore my feeling is the plat is the one to get if you are a big fan of the album.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  16. William Hall

Any news on the Reggatta Plat CD review?

17. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Several people gave it favorable reviews in the Platinum SHM cd launched thread.Not one bad review.

18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

19. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Just have not had the time to do a full write-up, here is my preliminary review from Dec which was in another thread.. Now that I've compared the full album several times my opinion has not changed. It is a great mastering but the "flat" approach used may not be a favorite for everyone.

20. William Hall

Ricks,

I'm investing in the Plat Reggatta SHM-CD and I was wondering what version number I should get, as I've seen about 3 different versions. Which variant do you have

21. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi,

I have the SHM-SACD as well as the Plat CD. The reason is as a child in the late 1980's, this album was the one that inspired my interest in music as a hobby as well as the CD medium. For a long many years it was my favorite all-time album although now I'd probably rank it 5th. Reason I mention all that is it's worth the money for me to have the Plat. For those who are only interested in a nice copy to play just get the standard SHM CD version. Also remember the Plat version could have issues with some gear?

22. William Hall

I know, I own the Plat CD of Synchronicity (in fact I'm listening to O My God atm), but I was hoping to buy the Plat Reggatta. I don't remember the particular number it is (I.e: D32Y, 38XB, etc.) so I was curious if you knew.

23. 926am

926am Senior Member

UICY-40028

24. henryjg

henryjg Forum Resident

I'd like to get a good-sounding copy of "Canary in a Coalmine" on CD without spending an arm and a leg. I've read through the thread, and it seems like my best choice is an early CD version of Zenyatta Mondatta, right? Past that, I'm having a little trouble figuring out what to look for when I'm at my local record store. Their copies of ZM are all locked up in those plastic theft-prevention devices. Can I tell which to get by from looking at the outside of the CD? Some copies are in jewel cases; others are digipack. If I have to have them open up the theft-prevention thingy, what am I looking for when I open the CD case?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  25. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi,

[​IMG]

On the chart above the yellow and blue columns discs are nice sounding. The gray is step down, The 2003 SACD is actually good as well.

Next week a new SHM-SACD and SHM-CD [Plat and normal] are due to be released. If they follow the path of the 2013 Reggata SHM-SACD and 2013 Synchronicity SHM-CD it could become my preferred digital of the album.

If you are not huge fan of the album the 1st 3 in the blue column sound nice and with patience can be found for under $5 or at least that's the case in my area.

Digipak will mean the 2003 based remaster - avoid. Some WG for US discs will show Printed in West Germany on the back tray art and some Japan for US will show Printed in Japan. Be warned that the discs still could be the gray column US for US CD and also the opposite in that some Printed in USA will contain WG of Japan for US discs. Bottom line is you do need to see the CD.

henryjg likes this.