The Police on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Oct 24, 2005.

1. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I'm not sure if its possible to do directly - but you could play the
    analog output of a SACD player into a computer's soundcard or
    into a CD-R recorder.

That's not perfect - but you might be able to see the differences.

Is the basic idea that even if your ears can't hear the difference,
    you still want the best looking waveforms because you know at
    one point you might change out your playback equipment and
    or speakers and THEN be able to hear the difference ?

2. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Sounds like a fun and interesting project. I think I'll do it.
    :)

3. SkyBlueShag

SkyBlueShag Forum Resident

Okay, I tried this on an original post and got crickets. Maybe someone can help me on this one?

I just received Ghost In the Machine Japanese CD version UICY-93192, mastered by Bob Ludwig in 2002.

A/Bing this with my original AM+, I'm noticing two differences:

1. The Japanese disc has more bass... kinda reminds me more of what I remember from the record when I had it.

2. I have to turn the AM+ to double the volume to achieve the same loudness as the Japanese pressing. I think it may have more to do with the AM+ being exceptionally quiet versus the Japanese pressing being exceptionally loud.

Has anyone else listened to this? Also, how would I go about having someone to check the compression differences between the two versions? I'm thinking compression is on the Japanese version, even though I like the bass better on it.

4. MusicFan76

MusicFan76 Forum Resident

I'm afraid there can be a lot of crickets here on our awesome board when it comes to The Police...at least that is what I have found. :(

5. street legal

street legal Senior Member Thread Starter

I wish I could help, but have only owned The Police catalog on vinyl, the "Message in a Box" CD set, & the SACD's. Sorry.

6. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Just got a copy of the old AM+ GHOST IN THE MACHINE, pressed in West Germany, and wow - great sounding disc! Tremendous bass on this one, and a very warm sound overall. Really nice, and all for $5.99.

SkyBlueShag and Carlox like this.
  7. gordolindsay

gordolindsay Forum Resident

Hey guys, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a quick question.

Has anybody bought The Police cd's from yourmusic.com lately? If so, which ones are they?

They have that box at the top of the screen saying they have a new Police cd coming soon, I'm wondering if they are getting the digipack ones or the new 2-disc comp.

Thanks in advance!!! :wave:

8. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

As I just posted in another thread - I have to conclude now that after all week A/B comparing different issues I have of ZENYATTA, GHOST, and SYNCHRONICITY - all early AM+ American issue discs vs the Ludwig 2003 remasters - I feel the remasters have the edge. Neither series is bad but the Ludwigs sound more like my original LPs, in some cases better in terms of sonic detail. They are just ever so slightly compressed but overall they have the breath of life and they are much less thin/tinny on top than the earlier discs. I think Ludwig done good on these.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Can anyone tell me whether the masterings on the Japanese D32Y pressings are actually different from the earlier Japanese 38XB and 32XB pressings? I am not a huge fan, but will look for them if the difference is significant.

10. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Does this mean they are on life support? :winkgrin:

11. Rick, does the 38XB have a different mastering than the AM+ CD-3730 or are the two digitally identical? Or are you talking about pressing differences?

12. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

That would be helpful. :thumbsup:
    I didn't have a problem with the sound on the first two, Ghosts and Syncronicity which I bought around the late 80's in Europe but I can't think for the life of me why I replaced them for the 2003 single issues. That kind of thing I find troubling. :help:

the_redgrin likes this.
  13. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

what are these forms ? From where CDs do they come from ?

14. I just picked up an early Outlandos CD-4753 in mint shape. My question is, has anyone compared/done a shootout including the very rare Japan 24k gold discs (not the MFSL)? There are photos of these 24k gold Police discs on this page:

http://www.batini.com/_scripts/blcdpages.php?blpage=ojpgp

Specifically:

[​IMG]

Are the gold ones just the Japan orig mastering but 24k? Anyone know?

-s1m0n-

15. LesPaul666

I dunno about the rest of them, But I just got a Zenyatta Mondatta CBS Japan For Europe DIDZ 10102 matrix that kills anything else I've ever heard, including the original Japan for U.S. AM+'s.

16. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

I too, would like to know whether the Japan 24kt gold CD's are the same mastering as their silver counterparts...they go for big$$$!

17. Very interesting as in the Police (CD) threads I've read many suggest that the early/first A&Ms are smashing and I do like my Outlandos. How hard are these Japan made first pressings to find?

-s1m0n

18. LesPaul666

This might be hard to say, as I think the West German AM+ Polygram pressings came out right after the Japan(DIDZ matrix)CD's. It would be a beautiful thing if the original WG and Japan for Europe CD's had the same mastering, which is clearly incredible. If anyone has clips of the Zenyatta 38XB or Europe pressing, I'd be happy to put up some clips and/or waveforms to compare.:agree:

19. LesPaul666

Just as an example, here's Don't Stand So Close To Me from the first Japan For Europe DIDZ matrix disc.

Attached Files:

20. ricks

ricks Senior Member

IIRC there is no 38XB of Zenyatta as the 1st press of it is 32X?

Rick

21. LesPaul666

Oops...Your right, I think it's 32XB-40.

22. I think the A&M+ discs sounded better than the box. The box was too bright!

The only one I play on cd anymore is the gold Synchronicity.
    I have the "Outlandis" SACD and do not like it. VERY hard sounding.

I'm playing import vinyl (UK, Japanese, Canadian "Audiophile Masters" reissue) of the other albums.

23. Hmm, I use Audacity (Windows) so I'm not used to seeing such a screenshot and am rather green when it comes to interpreting "wave forms" et al. This screenshot makes it look like your Japan made CD is pretty "loud" no? Also, what Mac program is that you are using?

-s1m0n

24. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Here's a Don't Stand So.. waveform from my Japan for US (made by Nippon Columbia [Denon] ) CD 3720 A-1Z matrix. Looks a lot like the one LesPaul666 posted, However we are using different programs, plus our images are different sizes, so who knows...

I'm surprised such an early CD was cut so hot. I figure mine is from 85 or 86, KeithH probably can give us more detailed info.

Rick

P.S. I have never heard a CD pressing of Zenyatta that I thought was really good.

Attached Files:

25. LesPaul666

That is Bias Peak Pro. The top mastering/editing software for Macintosh.:D

Look at the top waveform for a more "familiar" look. The bottom one is -minus'd to fit the screen. It is cut rather loud. I think Rick's later Denon pressing might have the same mastering as this one.