The Prisoner on Blu-ray?*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dougotte, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

So, it looks like the A&E US version will be good, with everything the Network version has, including identical quality, EXCEPT for the 290-page book of production notes.

This is good to hear!

2. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Okay I'll take a major DUH on this. I just re-read the review link that was posted here and the A&E DOES contain both alternate cuts of 'Arrival' and 'The Chimes Of Big Ben'.

It's the codeine in the cough medicine. It makes me crazy. :D

3. Are you sure nothing is missing from the A&E set? The Network release was 6 discs (2 discs of bonus content) while the A&E release is 5 discs (1 disc of bonus content). The A&E bonus disc is dual layer, so maybe it has all the content of the two Network discs.

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

My set shipped yesterday from amazon. I'm looking forward to it. I have the Network 40th set. I'm glad they fixed the mistakes (from what I've read).

Best,
    Todd

5. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

wow looks awesome!!.....Cant wait to get them!

6. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Ok, got the new set, and it has the Network logo right on it. Looks like there are actually 2 new sets, Blu Ray as well as Dvd.

7. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

does the blu ray look significantly better than the dvd in this case? the show certainly wasn't high definition to begin with.

8. Check out the screen grabs in this link:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews47/the_prisoner_blu-ray.htm

They certainly look hi-def to me. The UK DVD's and the Blu-ray's were taken from hi-def masters created from the original film elements. However, the U.S. DVD's were taken from other sources and look pretty mediocre.

Of course it was--it was shot on film. Previous transfers were not made in hi-def, but that does not mean the source material isn't capable of a hi-def transfer.

9. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

wait, I thought someone above said the UK and US versions were the same source?

10. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

There are new US DVDs, released by A&E alongside the new Blu-ray set. The review was comparing the old A&E DVD set.

11. US & UK Blu-ray are the same source, taken from the Network (UK) hi-def masters. US & UK DVD's are different sources, with the UK DVD's made from the Network masters and the US DVD's taken from vastly inferior A&E masters. A new US DVD set is coming out which may or may not be made from the Network hi-def masters (we don't know yet).

12. We don't know if the new US DVD's are taken from the Network hi-def masters or are simply a repackaging of A&E's old DVD set.

Also, the review linked above compared the Network Blu-ray and A&E Blu-ray sets and concluded they were essentially identical. If you look at the A&E packaging, it displays the "Network" logo, indicating that they licensed the hi-def masters from Network.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

While I won't see the DVD, I'll go out on a limb and say DEFINITELY. I'm not easily stunned by picture quality, but I was really floored by how good the two episodes I've watched looked. Just amazing, and there's absolutely no way a DVD could look nearly as good...

14. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Well, I think I know how I'm going to inaugurate the BDP-83 I found sitting on my doorstep last night. The Priz discs should get here in the next day or so...

:goodie:

15. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

As much of an improvement as the Network remastered set was over the original A&E box set, I personally thought that it looked a little too overdone, just as a CD remaster might have too much treble or too much bass. The whole thing looked very "super-real" and the "stereo" audio sounded very strange compared to the original mono. I can't speak for the Blu-Ray but if the same sources were used then it probably looks and sounds the same.

16. Hawkman

Oh boy. I hope my pre-order shows up soon! :wave:

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hold on to my DVD box for a while.

18. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Ok, I just looked at the new DVD package: no Network label, and content same as the previous AE set, so indeed, it apppears that it hasn't been redone like the new Blu-ray set has. Sorry for the confusion.

19. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante Thread Starter

I received my BD set yesterday. I only had time to watch half of "Arrival" last night. It looks very good (especially compared w/ the original A&E that I have). The increased detail and better color scale looked wonderful. As others have noted, the flaws in some shots are enhanced, but that's to be expected.

The 5.1 sounds very good, especially w/ the music. The dialogue sometimes sounds boxy, as when he's talking to Number 2 in his "office," but generally the dialogue and effects sound good too.

My only minor complaint (thus far) is the box. It appears to be the same case as the Trek Seasons 1 and 2, but the spindle for the "pages" inside doesn't work as smoothly. When I initially opened it, I was afraid that the part of the spindle attached to the case spine was going to chop off a corner of disc 5, and it was very hard to close the case until I fiddled around with the "pages" a bit.

Doug

20. Hawkman

Got it yesterday! I'm going to start watching it this weekend when I can relax. I pulled the Pixley book out of the Network DVD set to use as my 'reference' as I look at each episode.

21. Bumping my own question here - does anyone know if the new Blu-ray set contains everything that was on the original A&E DVDs? I'm not concenred about the interactive maps or trivia games but rather the bonus footage.

I'd like to get the Blu-ray and sell my DVDs but I don't want to take a chance if the Blu-ray doesn't have everything.

22. Hawkman

I believe that it has MORE than the original A&E DVD set but I haven't looked at mine yet.

Here is the list of what the A&E Blu-ray set DOES have according to DVDBeaver listed earlier in the thread....

A&E Region 'A'-locked Blu-ray
    [FONT=&quot] [FONT=Trebuchet MS,sans-serif]
    "Don't Knock Yourself Out": this exclusive, feature-length documentary is the definitive look at the production of THE PRISONER, told by those involved in its creation. It includes a combination of archive and newly-filmed interviews with nearly 40 people, including Amette Andre, Bernard Williams, David Tomblin, Derren Nesbitt, Peter Wyngarde, Anton Rodgers, Michael Grade, George Baker and Peter Bowles. (1:34:48)
    [FONT=&quot] [FONT=Trebuchet MS,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT] "The Pink Prisoner": Peter Wyngarde pays tribute to the series in this unique cross between an interview and comedy sketch (9:24)
    [FONT=&quot] [FONT=Trebuchet MS,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT] "You Make Sure it Fits": music editor Eric Mival discusses his role behind the scenes in making 'The Prisoner' and provides a unique look at the Music Bible for the show (9:16)
    [FONT=&quot] [FONT=Trebuchet MS,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT] Newly restored original edit of "Arrival" with an optional music-only soundtrack featuring Wilfred Josephs' complete and abandoned score
    [FONT=&quot] [FONT=Trebuchet MS,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT] Original edit of the episode "The Chimes of Big Ben" (50:34)
    [FONT=&quot] [FONT=Trebuchet MS,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT] Production crew audio commentaries on seven episodes
    [FONT=&quot] [FONT=Trebuchet MS,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT] Image Archive: individual galleries of over 1,200 stills are featured throughout this set, including episodic shots, generic/PR Photos, coverage of the original press conference in 1967 and Jack Shampan's designs.
    [FONT=&quot] [FONT=Trebuchet MS,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT] Archive material, including textless titles with clean themes by Ron Grainer, Wilfred Josephs, and Robert Farnon (3:06 each without effects), as well as material from Rover, Foreign 'Filing Cabinet' title footage (2:28 - mute) and the McGoohan photo montage from "Arrival" (slideshow - :49) .
    [FONT=&quot] [FONT=Trebuchet MS,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT] Production Paperwork Archive: original scripts for each episode, along with other rarely-seen production documentation, press releases, call sheets and other memorabilia. This unique collection is sourced from the personal archives of Tony Sloman, Steven Ricks, and Simon Coward and is reproduced here with their permission and assistance. (84 PDF files of 605 MB)
    [FONT=&quot] [FONT=Trebuchet MS,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT] Exposure strips gallery
    [FONT=&quot] [FONT=Trebuchet MS,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT] Commercial break bumpers
    [FONT=&quot] [FONT=Trebuchet MS,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT] Trailers for all episodes
    [FONT=&quot] [FONT=Trebuchet MS,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT] Preview of AMC's 'The Prisoner' mini-series remake :)31)[/FONT]​
    [/FONT]

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

what does this refer to? Is this the alternate Chimes (the quality of which is awful on the A&E set)?

24. Hawkman

It should be. I believe that the copy that Bruce Clark found was 16mm only. It's crudity was due to the fact that it was never meant to be shown to begin with.

An alternate version of this episode exists. A pre-release edit never meant to be shown, it was accidentally included in a batch of episodes sent to CBC in Canada and promptly broadcast. It was eventually released on video several years later. Most of the differences are minor, except for an alternate scene of Number Six trying to discover The Village's location using a home-made navigational device called a triquetrum. As with the pre-release cut of the series pilot 'Arrival', this alternate version employs theme and incidental music tracks composed by Wilfred Joseph. In addition, the 'Alternate Chimes' also features a unique end sequence to the end titles, with the word POP erupting from a globe of the Earth. A different iteration of this device is used on the pre-release edit of 'Arrival'.

And here....bold type mine...

An early rough-cut of this episode was accidentally released for broadcast and the sole print was tracked down many years later and released on video as the "Alternative" Chimes of Big Ben. Although there are many differences from the "regular" episode, most are minor except for one sequence which involves Number Six attempting to discover the geographical postion of the Village using a home-made navigational device called a triquetrum. There are also some interesting differences in both opening and closing credits sequences along with a different theme tune. However, none of the differences affect either the storyline or the outcome - he still doesn't get away!

25. Bradfinger

Bradfinger Forum Resident

THIS IS A MUST BUY!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.