The Prisoner tv show (old)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by benjaminhuf, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It's a work of art disguised as a spy thriller, with much to say. It gets more and more surreal as it goes into the last episodes.

It's best to leave all pre expectations at the door, with what I consider the single greatest episodic television in the history of the medium.

Gary and zobalob like this.
  2. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

My avatar and I agree.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's what happens when they scan the original camera negatives and master in higher definition. It's a huge change from the usual 16mm prints people remember from the 1970s, or even the original 35mm prints used for network in the late 1960s.

You have to be aware going in that the story is an allegory, it's a 45-year-old show, and it takes awhile to get into. I loved it as a kid, because it was the first time I had seen any kind of American television that was this weird, nightmarish, and structurally odd, but I don't dispute that the ratings on the show were never good. I think it's fair to say it's a pretty challenging show intellectually, but it's also very much a creature of its time (the late 1960s). It may not hold up well for people who never actually saw it 40 years ago.

I could say that about 1000 TV shows and movies, to tell you the truth.

4. I think it holds up remarkably well for the most part. It comes down to what the audience wants and expects in terms of entertainment. "Lost"' CSI" and "Fringe" this is not and it's one of the few examples of creating a TV show that tries to accomplish what great literature does.

5. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

I didn't see it 45 years ago (since I was about 3 at the time). I didn't encounter it until sometime in the 1990s, on VHS. However, I find the show fascinating, as do my kids. We're planning on visiting The Village (aka Portmeirion) when we visit Wales next year.

I awoke late last night - the TV was still on, and much to my surprise I could hear the dulcet tones of Patrick McGoohan. Of course it was Danger Man (aka Secret Agent) not The Prisoner - however it was surprising enough to see that on network TV. They never show The Prisoner, of course (well they showed the remake, but not the original).

6. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

The Blue-ray collection is on my Santa list -- I might be getting it. :D

Want to watch this with my oldest as she might enjoy it, as I have.

7. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I already own an older dvd of this series, but hearing how much better it looks, I may have to buy the new version. I am already watching Danger Man, so when I am done with that, I planned to watch The Prisoner again. I consider them to be the adventures of the same character, John Drake. I know McGoogan denied that Number 6 was John Drake but I like to think that he was.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't know if I'd say great literature, but I would say that Patrick McGoohan and the other writers and producers did at least have high aspirations of doing something more than the usual spy or detective show. I can remember when I was 13 having my little mind blown all summer long with this show, particularly the climactic episode that featured the Beatles' "All You Need Is Love." Even back then, I knew that it was extremely rare for the Fabs to allow their music to be used in a mere TV show, and my jaw dropped when I heard that song at the end of the episode.

numer9 likes this.
  9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Don't hesitate to buy the Blu-ray. It's literally the first thing I bought in the Blu-ray format along with my favorite movie 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, and as I said above, I've been literally stunned with the video quality. It's the kind of restoration we all hope for with every one of our favorites, and this is the textbook example of how they can do it right.

I'm sure many of us, me included, equate John Drake with Number 6. It's a natural extension of the DANGER MAN/SECRET AGENT series, but in order to sever ties with the creators of the John Drake character on the older series, McGoohan had to maintain that there was no relationship there at all, even though we can witness a few "Wink, wink, nudge, nudge" references to the older series throughout THE PRISONER.

Harry

alexpop and wayne66 like this.
  10. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I believe you are correct. I heard that The Prisoner and Danger Man were produced by different companies and that if McGoogan called Number 6 John Drake he would have to pay the Danger Man producers money. Basically a business decision.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is the BD version worth getting ( have the DVD box). ?

12. erasmus

erasmus Forum Resident

XTC having fun in the village

Pinknik and jriems like this.
  13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The blu ray is fantastic - absolutely gorgeous image

14. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Along with a good bit of the "Old Star Trek" and "Twilight zone" some of the best classic TV on Blu Ray. Sadly the picture quality on those classics, often look far better than shows more recent.

alexpop likes this.
  15. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

It's Image is almost what I would call Reference quality, (( especially for its age and being a TV show)) some parts are so great looking, it defies logic.

Not all is fantastic, but so much is, that is makes the original American DVD's look horrible in comparison. Not only FAR more detail and resolution, but black levels are Inky, colors are far more accurate.

I'd honestly give it a 4.5 out of 5 for picture.

The old DVD, maybe a 2.0 out of 5

alexpop likes this.
  16. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I've been considering getting this set for a while, and you might just have made up my mind.

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yes!

alexpop likes this.
  18. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Another ringing endorsement for the Blu Ray. The upgrade is non-trivial. The experience is vivid. Do not hesitate.

19. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I frankly couldn't believe my eyes when I popped THE PRISONER into my Blu-ray player. The difference from the DVDs is like night and day - and I once thought the DVDs looked pretty decent. After years of VHS tapes, LaserDiscs and DVDs, the Blu-ray set was like seeing the series for the first time - and the extras are well worth it too.

Harry

johnnyyen likes this.
  20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Given the era and style, watching it made me wish The Beatles had hired this crew to do Magical Mystery Tour.

Gumboo and numer9 like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What about ? image.jpg

22. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I rewatched the DVD Prisoner set earlier this year, and had obviously completely forgotten there was Beatles music in it!

Although I have often said there should be a really good movie made of the plot elements of the best episodes, I am afraid they might change the soundtrack music. I hear industrial trance sound accompanying the Drones that would be the updated version of Rover.

23. That ship sailed when they did a remake mini-series for TV. It had some interesting ideas but was largely a failure--the original was bursting with ideas. Sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn't but it was always interesting and quite often dazzling especially for TV in 1967.

The Fabs were fans of the show so they immediately allowed McGoohan to use "All You Need is Love" for the finale.

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

There was Beatles music in The Prisoner ?

25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

In the last episode, All You Need is Love blares from a juke box as the underground court is dismissed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.