The problem with Bose?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by OldJohnRobertson, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah, I did notice, and I pointed that out. As far as "Mr. Lawyer Sir," I mentioned my profession because I had thought someone was accusing me of being a Bose salesman! I don't think my occupation either diminishes or increases my credibility on this topic. I was merely pointing out that I do not sell Bose products for a living (or sell anything except for my time, for that matter).

2. The Bose system in my Acura TL-S sounds pretty bad. However, I think that is why so many people are familiar with the Bose name--they make so many OEM car stereo systems that people cannot escape their name and logo.

Another "plus" for the 101's that you would appreciate--they were made in the USA.

3. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I am guessing that someone accusing you of being a Bose salesman was me. Im not sure if you read my post or not but I clarified what I meant by "you".

you=Bose... as in an editorial you.

Just to be clear :)

4. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

My point exactly.

5. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Sellers were pushing bad products to naive or uncaring buyers before all isms were coined.

And I don't think buyers are to make market and tech studies whenever they buy an item. Maybe the same person that buys a Bose system in a appliance store would cringe on other people buying, say, oil filters on price and clerk advice.

I'm sure most of us here drink colas, and there are people that wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole and have all kinds of reasons why spending five minutes doing a vegetable and fruit smoothie is much better. And they may be right but I don't care that much.

6. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I love my Bose Model 141 speakers. They're actually not the greatest looking things on the planet but they sound alright to me. They were made a little bit before they got what I would consider too small of a speaker.

I've compared them to larger speakers (my brother's old pair of Sherwin-Vegga's being one such pair) and they've amazingly stood up pretty well.

And they've lasted me since my first reciever.

It's a matter of tastes and style, I guess.

7. Blencathra

Blencathra New Member

With respect to the last poster, Cerwin Vega (whom I presume you alluded to - was it an ironic spelling error? Or are they the same company? Or even a totally different one? - a cursory web search didn't settle that one) were anything but subtle and most speakers could beat them in a head-to-head on detail. What the company did achieve, however, was a range of speakers that did LOUD in a big way. I presume this was, in the main, down to exceedingly high sensitivity ratings on the speakers?

I see this thread not as a company/policy bashing exercise but more as a character test. There are the odd two or three that, even in the face of all this criticism and scathing, are still standing up and admitting ownership and even enjoyment. Good on you guys.

8. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

I, too, was unimpressed with the Bose stuff I have demoed. The founder of the company has not been in real control of the company since the early '80s (although he's still majority owner of the corporation); instead, investors effectively control the corporation. And the products which came out of Bose's factories and subcontractors since the mid-'80s have been for the most part poorly designed, poorly constructed and seriously overpriced for their quality. How's that for ineptitude?

9. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Ineptitude? The still survive while many of our beloved speaker companies have been gone for many years now. Bose is many things, but inept is not one of them.

Richard

10. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Well, you can't beat freebies! But... if you're willing to try in-ear buds, Etymotic E6i buds isolate so well that you won't need any noise cancelling--I tried them on a transatlantic flight last year, and they actually made flying economy bearable, which is saying a LOT. They sound really great, at least to my ears. Or you could try the Shure E4c's...

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi coopmv,

The Bose/Infiniti FX 35/45 system is the best Bose system I have heard in any car. The vehicle is very nicely styled and wonderful! The stock stereo in this vehicle is superb and I usually dislike Bose in GM vehicles.

12. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Yep!! Looks like ad copy to me. But they make products that people seem to want. Ease of use is the biggest driver for their AcoustiMass system. My brother bought one for watching the telly. I think that it sounds oddly muffled. He seems happy with it, but he really doesn't listen to music. Besides, he is letting me have his old Advents and Kenwood receiver because he doesn't need them anymore. My only problem with Dr. Bose and his products is that his ego seems to far exceed the limits of his intellect. Not exactly what you look for in someone to advance science. Just my opinion.

13. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

14. afriqueart

afriqueart Forum Resident

My 60 year old JBL C-38's sound great!

15. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

It is just very annoying that there are more luxury or semi-luxury cars that feature Bose sound systems than I have expected. Bose and the Yankees are two entitieis I cannot stand. I do not like to give up on a car because of its sound system but do not want to live with any Bose products either.

16. coopmv

Has JBL been around this long? Have you refurbished (i.e. minor repair, etc.)the speakers at least once?

17. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I'll be at the Tannersville Outlet Center today in PA. They have a Bose store there! Fun with Bose.:D

18. coopmv

I think Bose has a store in Woodbury Commons, which is off exit 16 on the NY State Thruway.

19. Don't know about Bose, but B&O has a store in the St. Louis Galleria. Similar business model, I guess.

20. coopmv

I own a few B&O equipments and they are in a totally different league from Bose. Lets say if B&O is in Division A, then Bose deserves no more than being in Division B.

21. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

Nice to know they're making car suspensions now! What a hack company. I saw an ad for the Lifestyle system on TV the other day. I've got to admit, their marketing is ingenuous. Apparently they designed something called "AdaptIQ" so the Lifestyle speakers can automatically adapt to any sized or shaped room. How do they get away with claiming their speakers are specially designed to intuitively break the laws of physics? If you've got an irregular-shaped room and you're pointing your speakers at corners, you're going to have problems. No marketing scheme is going to keep sound waves from reflecting. It made me sad to know that some sucker out there was probably calling the 800 number as I was finding the nearest object to hurl at the television.

I suggest they change their slogan to "Better Profits Through Trickery"

22. Blencathra

Blencathra New Member

Ditto that. I have a B&O TV and it outclasses all other cathode ray sets of it's time.

23. beppe

beppe Forum Resident

Sure! B.O.S.E., I think, means B(Buy) O(other) S(Stereo) E(equipment).
    Ok, small loudspeakers, but expensive. With same price you can surely buy better loudspeakers and listen 100 time better IMHO.:agree:

24. coopmv

Jacks of all trades, master of none?? :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.