The Rascals have imploded...again...thanks to Felix.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunset Sam, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just posted yesterday by Dino Danelli (via Joe Russo's Rascals page on Facebook):

"DEAR FRIENDS...

IN MY OPINION,THE NEED FOR ONE OF THE RASCALS TO " CONTROL "
    ALL MUSICAL DECISIONS,RECEIVE ADDITIONAL COMPENSATION
    AND DEMAND THAT 'HIS BAND' PERFORM ON STAGE WITH "THE RASCALS"
    IS UNNECESSARY,INAPPROPRIATE,AND UNACCEPTABLE.

THESE DEMANDS HAVE PREVENTED ANY POSSIBILITY OF A 50TH YEAR. CELEBRATION
    WITH ALL OF YOU!
    DISAPPOINTED AND
    TRULY SORRY,
    Dino Danelli"

While I appreciate Felix' contributions to the band, and can appreciate his desire based on his status as chief vocalist, instrumentalist and songwriter, bands are a democracy and all members should get an equal share. To have gone through the miraculous and FANTASTIC tour they did less than two years ago to now be reduced back to petty differences in their SEVENTIES (!!!!), it's just sickening. Eddie has long been vocal about Felix not wanting "equality" when it came to things like royalties....guess it carries over to the live show, too. Is Felix that bitter over Eddie and Gene bailing in 1970?

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think its more bizzare that guys in their 60s (70s?) in a band that is way past its heyday are actually writing things like that. What are they, still in highschool? Weird.

3. Not surprised at all. While all 4 members contributed greatly to the sound of the band, it was and always will be Felix' band.

Paul W, mikedifr0923 and melstapler like this.
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Where's Don Kirshner when you need him?

5. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

That thread is ugly.

I'm not going to choose sides but I had hoped that the "Once Upon a Dream" shows had provided an unlikely happy ending to the Rascals story. Guess not, which is sad.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

For men this close to death, to not first appreciate the fact that they're still waking up every morning...then knowing that everything past that is just icing on the cake is ridiculous.
    Grow the hell up you stupid old farts.

tug_of_war, GLENN, Rockerbox and 33 others like this.
  7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

When there were no Once Upon A Dream shows last year, I kind of thought something was adrift again.

I'm glad I saw 3 shows.

8. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

9. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

I can't think of more than a few bands in which this is actually the case...

10. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

The reunion of the original band was unexpected, amazing to see with such a great show and nice while it lasted. I'm real sorry the group couldn't continue on as they had been. I had hoped to see the "Once Upon a Dream" show at least once more. I'm thankful for what they did accomplish. No matter what - The Rascals earned their place in the hearts of music fans long before their reunion shows. Too bad dreams can't last forever...........
    --------- Chris

Atmospheric, Hep Alien, Mark and 2 others like this.
  11. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'm a big Rascals fan, so this is disappointing .
    I'm back to their records I guess.

I wonder if there will ever be a DVD release of their Once Upon Dream show ?

Atmospheric, Michael P and rstamberg like this.
  12. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Just one side of the story. Who knows, maybe Little Steven was demanding too big of a cut for putting together the hokey 'show' part of it.

Grant likes this.
  13. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I saw Felix and 'His band', and they weren't even close to The Rascals that I saw 2 or 3 years. Just sayin...

Aftermath, Paper Wizard and JDeanB like this.
  14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Well, Dino's quote is pretty clear. Little Steven isn't a Rascal .

Michael P likes this.
  15. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

No band is a true democracy. Sometimes one member is obviously the heart and soul of a band.
    But when it comes to money, when that is the case normally that member is getting songwriting royalties.
    That should be sufficient extra compensation.
    When a band tours, all of the original members and stockholders in the name/company should be paid equally.
    I can understand when the remaining members of a band ( as in , band name owners) need to hire musicians to take the place of those no longer available, that they will likely pay them a salary that is less than their own, and that makes sense.
    But the remaining original members have equal value. Their name recognition because of history with the band is important. People go to see individual personalities as well as to see the band as a unit.

16. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

When the end of the 2013 tour collapsed and concerts at the end of 2013 & early 2014 were postponed/cancelled due to Mr. Van Zandt's commitments to his endeavours, I honestly thought that he was being thrown under the bus as the real reason.
    Dino has been the most vocal, especially after the appearance of the "Felix Cavaliere's Rascals" concert dates.
    The Once Upon a Dream tour seemed like the ideal tour; play some dates, make people happy, make some money, take some time off and rest, repeat.
    I was truly fortunate enough to see them in Toronto in '13 and I came away thinking this: They can still perform now; they must have something to see live in their heyday.

tug_of_war, jricc, marmalade and 3 others like this.
  17. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I was hoping so at the beginning but.......Little Steven doesn't own the Rascals' songs, and while the shows were great, I don't know if Eddie's voice not being what it once was would've been a concern.

The people who did the Kickstarter campaign apparently got a CD/DVD out of the original Portchester shows. I kicked myself for not doing that.

Hep Alien and Glenn Christense like this.
  18. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

damn, and i passed on the last los angeles show. oh well, probably better. my memory in a sweating club early in their career with one of the most powerful bands i have ever seen to this day.
    but then it was a band. the recent tours it was a nostalgia presentation. probably good but not a band like before. cherish the memories and leave it lie i guess.

let's hope that some fotomaker & treasure reunion tours are now being planned. now that would be interesting and must see's.

melstapler likes this.
  19. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

For sure! Lex Marchesi is still active in music with his group Nelson Klondike and since The Raspberries reunion imploded, Wally Bryson may also be available. The main thing is that Gene Cornish and Dino Danelli are still friends. Fotomaker reunion 2015!

marmalade, Hep Alien, fiscus1 and 2 others like this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Felix needs to grow up...petty s%$t.

JDeanB and melstapler like this.
  21. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I'm not surprised at all.

I was in a writing partnership that was equal until we found success... then the exact same thing happened when my partner's fragile ego was upset that I was getting praise and attention.

This happens all the time in creative partnerships... the member with the most fragile ego has to become a controlling SOB (one doesn't have the need to control unless they feel out-of-control), demands more money, etc. I would posit the same thing happened with:

McCartney vs. the rest of the Beatles

Roger Waters vs. the rest of Pink Floyd

Steven Tyler vs. the rest of Aerosmith

and lots of other bands.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    The Beave and sjaca like this.
  22. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Had tickets for Baltimore, ultimately canceled. Assumed it was raging egos.
    Now I know why. Last chance for my money.
    Ain't gonna eat out my heart anymore. Ultimate Rascals will do me fine.

Two Sheds likes this.
  23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Great point, Michael. Felix will probably feel regret for his actions later on, especially if something were to happen to one of the members. These guys are now in their 70s and this should be a time for healing and reconstruction.

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Dino must be pissed ... ALL CAPS ... sheesh.

Too bad, though. I guess we're lucky they did successfully reunite a couple years back ... which I'm kicking myself over having missed.

Any idea if there'r any Audio and/or Visual projects forthcoming from their recent run? Or can't they get that together anymore, either?

Atmospheric, dirtmert and 2trackmind like this.
  25. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Age takes its toll