The Real Reason Prince Isn't Considered The Best Artist.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarvius, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I wouldn't disagree but every generation can go through a period of change and embrace different aspects of culture when that movement occurs.

That's just a side note--I still think he's ripe for rediscovery at some level/time just because his music is so infectious at its best. However pulling every thing from YouTube and not making your music available is the worst thing you can do as you lose some cultural relevance based on how accessible the music is--case in point Dave Clark Five's material.

The band never went through the rediscover that many 60's bands did.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. BrentR79

BrentR79 Forum Resident

Why is purple not in this discussion?

3. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Great post! That's the kind if well-thought discussion I was hoping for in this thread, not "dude, Zeppelin is the best EVAR."

4. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

It's too deep... :shh:

5. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

:)

6. longaway

longaway Senior Member

No, that would be David Lee Roth.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  7. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

Prince is a 57 year old man who wears jumpsuits. [​IMG]

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

He has nearly 2000 posts in 3 years on this Forum. If he were just a troll and had no interest in the music being discussed, then that would be a monumental waste of time.

9. Aquatarkus

Aquatarkus Active Member

I guess now a troll = someone who posts opinions not in accordance with the popular opinions of a forum? Going against the grain is trolling? :shrug:

Marko L., wayneklein, zebop and 2 others like this.
  10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I was saying that I do NOT think he is a troll. Was my message unclear?

sunspot42 likes this.
  11. Aquatarkus

Aquatarkus Active Member

No, I got that and agree with you. I was just adding to it...

12. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

And more importantly, gets away with it.

sunspot42 and thekid87 like this.
  13. Jack Flash

You have a lot to say for someone who's been a member of the forum for 4 days.

When you get more comfortable with the new forum, your shyness will subside, I'm sure. :)

14. Jack Flash

Depends on your opinion of 57 year old men in jumpsuits.

15. aalloca

aalloca Forum Resident

I haven't read through the 18 pages in detail but as some of you may be aware I am a huge prince collector.

People have always had an issue with "that skinny muthfcker with a high voice" he is unique and blurs lines. What he hasn't done is have a period of retrospect like other artists that were moving very fast ahead of the curve.

He has followed more than led in the last 20 yrs, removed all mention of him for younger generations, and really cut off his supply of new fans. The old fans still buy albums and see him tour, but we all just wait for him to have an Elvis Costello moment and put out 2 disc sets of all albums with outtakes etc, or a vault subscription service that works.

Prince has been isolated for so long with yes people, that he doesn't know how to not step on his own toes. NPGMC, Crystal Ball, youtube, countless litigation threats for what to protect something that in the next 20 yrs might be valuable to him and a handful of people.

He is hoarding his art, and losing value. Value being that people care about how damn talented he is. How amazing he is at many instruments, great unreleased songs, amazing live performance, a voice that at what 57 years old is still really solid and fully live. To me it's really sad. When I listen to something like dorothy parker in headphones, or anotherloverholeinyourhead and hear the layers upon layers of great stuff, I get chills, and then realize half of these albums are not even in print in any medium.

He is still the purple rain guy, not the most talented multi instrumentalist who achieved pop stardom with a very unconventional approach.

16. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

You have surprisingly little to say in 46 posts ( and no doubt counting ) in this thread. 10% of the total. Kudos. :)

D.D.

Schoolmaster Bones likes this.
  17. Jack Flash

You actually counted my posts? :laugh:

18. Jack Flash

Let's bottom line this.

Prince is an above average artist that was popular really only in the 80s.

Fan boys are indignant because a thread transparently titled 'Prince is the best artist' met with derision.

Do I think Jarvius is a troll? No. I think he's a young guy that needs to realise his excitement at a new artist does not mean that artist is the BEST EVA!!, and that posters at SHMF that have lived through a lot of eras of music aren't going to be as impressed. Hopefully, Jarvius will learn to word his thread titles differently in the future, because as one of the gorts pointed out, they have all had the same misguided theme in the past.

:)

ABull likes this.
  19. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Not sure what you think that's supposed to mean. Steven Tyler looks far sillier and he's older.

Ed

sunspot42 likes this.
  20. Nostaljack

Kinda.

Fanboys are bothered because of nonsensical posts about things that don't matter. The disagreeable folk are merely taking aim at Jarvius because they either aren't bothering to read his posts or they misinterpret everything not related to the Beatles and classic rock.

Excitement over music is sorely lacking in these parts. So what if he falls in love with something. Isn't that was loving music is all about? The major populace of this place has become so cynical that it can't find the beauty in discovery and musical obsession.

In short, people around here just need to chill and express their opinions in a more informed way. Being nicer would also be a plus.

Ed

21. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Prince is, IMHO, easily the most talented pop musician since at least Stevie Wonder, and arguably beyond him, too. He'd be in my top-3 all-time with Wonder and James Brown, in terms of just sheer overall, all-around instrumental, song-writing, and performance excellence. A true genius.

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. Aquatarkus

Aquatarkus Active Member

Is it just me or do I sense a hint of condescension here?

longaway and wayneklein like this.
  23. Django

Django Forum Resident

I would say he was quiet a bit above average.

24. Nostaljack

I think you do but does it really matter?

Ed

25. old school

old school Senior Member

Why don't you lead by example? You have a bad habit of bashing the Beatles and classic rock. Chill out and practice what you preach.

Chuckee and Nostaljack like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.