The Real Reason Prince Isn't Considered The Best Artist.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarvius, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I think a lot of this is because people are delaying "growing up" and they are maturing at a slower rate these days. Back in the days of Abba/etc., people seemed to grow up a lot quicker, which is why you could get "deep" or "mature" songs or whatever on a regular basis from say (just as an example), Led Zeppelin. You don't really get "mature" songs these days as much because people don't really mature until they're in their 30s. (not sure how old Abba was when that song came out, but generally what I'm saying stands true)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    longaway and zebop like this.
  2. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

The point was that a lot of songs were written in The Revolution era, therefore influenced by members of The Revolution. It was not if they actually played on the song. Quite a few of the songs from that era were Prince solo songs which, under the influence (direct of indirect) from a group of people Prince was willing to listen to (aka The revolution in this context).

For the record, members of The Revolution played/sang on half of songs from SOTT: Play In The Sunshine, Housequake, Dorothy Parker, Slow Love, Hot Thing, Strange Relationship, Beautiful Night and Adore.

3. synchronizer

synchronizer Forum Resident

Prince prevented people from uploading videos of his music, so I don't think I have heard more than two of his tracks, and I don't remember liking them that much anyway. I would need a proper introduction to Prince (or "love symbol"?) music to form an opinion nonetheless.

4. matt lane

matt lane Forum Resident

Jarvius incoming, in 3... 2... 1...

:)

5. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Too much filler after his heyday.

(I interpret the question as why not Beatles-Stones-Dylan territory.)

6. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I think Jarvius is no longer with us.

7. mario villarroel

mario villarroel Forum Resident

I Consider Prince a Great Singer, and Composer but above it all.... The BEST SoNGWRITER EVER! He Deserves Credit for that!

8. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

He's working with Joshua Whelton on his current album, as he did with Art Official Age and Plectrumelectrum.

9. matt lane

matt lane Forum Resident

On earth? On SH forums?

Not sure how bummed to feel.

:)

johnaltman and Naughty Chord like this.
  10. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Sure, but again why does he use/ fail to use the internet in this way? Does he see having past exploits available to fans as a distraction from what he's doing now ? He doesn't allow concerts, photos, etc. from being posted but it doesn't seem like he restricts access so he alone can capitalize on it.

It's the "why" part of this which really interests me.

D.D.

11. Diamond Dog

Interesting. Prince is widely recognized as a King of the Slow Jam.

Forever caught between a rock and a hard place. If he deviates from repeating Little Red Corvette over and over again, he's accused of resting on his laurels or failing to evolve and innovate. If he takes a jog out into left field with The Rainbow Children or Grafitti Bridge for that matter, people clamour for more of that Golden Age stuff, you know, the good stuff, man. It's gotta be tough.

D.D.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  12. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I'm 48. Grew up in the 80s. Saw Purple Rain at the movie theater.

Prince is brilliant. Probably in my top 10-15 favorite artists. He does lack a bit of...emotional depth imo. He doesn't show us much of the artist behind the music.

But truly a unique and gifted artist. BTW...I love the 80s. The Smiths! Echo! VH! Maiden!

zebop and JohnnyQuest like this.
  13. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Yes, he's still with us...on both counts.

Ed

zebop likes this.
  14. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Anyone see the bizarre episode of Oprah with Prince and Mayte? The one that was recorded shortly after Prince's son's death. :cry:
    It's sad and strange how they were talking about him as if he was alive. :sigh:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  15. I just wanted to post this

16. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

He needed a manager with the authority to temper his eccentricities starting in about 1988 or so. I mean, his best release in the last 20 years was basically unavailable to the general public:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Nite_Alone...

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Never heard that before (not doubting you-just never heard that said). I simply don't enjoy Prince doing ballads or trying to be "funky". I think he is average at best in those genres.

18. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

I guess that the "why" of his behaviour is his need to control everything. Why he needs to control everything? I don't know. He was like that from the beginning ("Produced, arranged, composed and performed by Prince").

19. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I remember when this came out and thinking how perfect this was for him. This is just fun. If you don't dig Tom's vibe, you have no pulse.

Ed

longaway likes this.
  20. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I only have one LP of Prince, Purple Rain. Haven't played it in years, so last night I played it in honour of this thread.

I got up after Side 1 to change the record and my wife said 'Prince is pretty boring, isn't he'. That's her subtle way of saying 'no need to play side 2'.

And that's the real reason Prince is not considered to be the best artist.

21. Diamond Dog

OK.... so Prince is not considered the greatest artist because your wife got bored listening to the first half of the Purple Rain album. Yep," that's the real reason" alright. I mean, what else could it be ?

D.D.

22. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

This seems totally reasonable to me.

Diamond Dog likes this.
  23. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I think that does say a lot. Where I came from, Prince was mainly chick music. I only knew one guy that was really into it, circa 1985. After Prince faded, the girls got into Bon Jovi.

24. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I never cared for the Lovesexy cover.

25. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

So, with that settled, can we continue with the next thread:

The Real Reason Jon Bon Jovi Isn't Considered The Best Artist?

Slick Willie and nbakid2000 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.