The recent "storyteller" format shows?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are you a fan of the recent storyteller style shows artists are do? yes i know there is a series by VH1 with this name started from an idea by ray davies with artists like david bowie, rod stewart, meat loaf, ringo, the doors, matchbox 20, bill idol, culture club, etc appearing on it.

i was talking more about the recent tours with this format by older artists like randy bachman, greg lake and keith emerson. i know there are others who have done this too but can't think of them. do you enjoy this format where the artists talks about the inspiration of the song and then plays the song, sometimes in a stripped down arrangement?

2. Matthew Tate

i thought this would at least get 1 reply

3. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Okay, here's one!

Yes, I quite like the idea, and when done well it can be a very insightful and enjoyable evening to attend. One thing I would expect though is that a show like this be maybe a little longer than a straight music show. Really, if you usually play for 90 minutes I don't want to hear you talk for 45 of it...gimme at least 2 1/2 hours combined...chatting ain't much hard work, I'd feel ripped off if you did a 90 minute show where you only really played for 40.

4. Matthew Tate

i agree with that

5. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

One of the best performances he ever did was on Storytellers.
    Love how he mentions Sting/Hall & Oates/Phil Collin's influence on the song.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  6. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

They make me sleepy. I don't care about the inspiration and don't need a fifteen minute explanation of the song. Just play it.

stepeanut likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.