The Record Stores of São Paulo, Brazil (with LOTS of photos)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cokelike-, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident Thread Starter

I believe that store is still there. Os Mutantes was on my list of records that I was hoping to buy on my last trip. I'll get their stuff sooner or later. Thanks for the tip. Were the original master recordings used for these 80s reissues?

Speaking of reissues. I found a lot of titles that I wanted to buy at Livraria Cultura.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we have a case full of Polysom reissues of classic Jorge Ben and Tim Maia and a lot of other stuff I was hoping to come across. These were about R$110, if I recall correctly. However, there is a thread here somewhere that quoted the Polysom people as saying that their reissues are not being remastered faithfully. There is talk of the bass frequencies being reduced. So with that in mind, I passed on these. I'll bet these reissues probably sound decent. But I'm kind of picky about what I'm buying. For now, I'd rather continue collecting as many originals as I can. Perhaps someone here knows more about the Polysom reissues and can chime in.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

This is a great thread-- love the pics. I made similar trips but to Rio de Janeiro in the 00s. I'm reassured to know I'm not the only crazy person who flies back with 75 - 100 pieces after a trip.
    Hope to see a part 2 of this someday with some of Rio's record stores.

Crimson Witch and Cokelike- like this.
  3. Cokelike-

Thanks, man! I haven't got to check out all of them yet. But what I've heard sounds great. I'm only familiar with a small part of what I have purchased, so I have much to discover. I guess I've listened to around 40 this year. I clean all with the Spin Clean. I've maybe heard a few that still have some surface noise after cleaning. And I might have found 1 or 2 with a skip. But by far, most sound wonderful. I'm very happy with my finds. Next time I hope to expand my collection to include some Caetano, Tim Maia, Mutantes, Jorge Ben, Nara Leão. I would also like to complete my Elis Regina and Gal Costa discographies.

4. Cokelike-

That's very cool! Good eye!

5. Cokelike-

And, you know, I gotta keep them with me all at times when returning home. Nope, I am not checking my luggage with the records in there. I've got long hair so, of course, I was ''randomly'' selected for a drug screening before boarding the plane. It was funny to see the lady's face when she opened my bags and realized that I had nothing but records in there.

Don't worry, we're both crazy. Haha. Yeah, I hope for a part 2 as well! Maybe next year. :)

6. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I don't know whether the Baratos Afins reissue of Mutantes on Polydor was from master tapes. It has the same catalog number as the originals. and it sounds good and perhaps is analog. A second reissue occurred a couple of years later around 85 or 86 on Polyfar with different catalog numbers that were the same as the CD issued. Then more recently the Polysom came out but with altered EQ.

Check out this thread for a discussion:

Os Mutantes - The Prog Years

See the thread link above. No one really liked the Polysom.

BTW I also recommend Rita Lee's 1970s albums with her band Tutti Frutti. Her most recent album Reza issued in 2012 is also excellent. Apparently an LP was also issued but I have never seen it. The album is excellent though and worth looking for if you like Rita in a semi rock style.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  7. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I used to send so many orders to Brazil...but recent years have not been kind to the currency exchange on that side.

Would love to check out that Extreme Music store (the one with the metal and punk next to the regular store)

8. Cokelike-

Shame about the Polysoms. The must be the Brazilian version of 4 Men With Beards, maybe. All the stuff we want, but made wrong.

Oh yeah, I dig the Rita Lee stuff, the Tutti Frutti albums were also on my list. Good recommendation. Hopefully next time.

9. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

Well long hair is a sure sign of criminality in some parts! Yup, my records board the plane with me too-- after hunting each one down, agreed there's no way in hell they're going into the luggage hold...

10. Cokelike-

Bump in honor of Brazil's 2-0 win over Costa Rica!

11. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I'm super jealous. I love MPB, particularly the funky 70s stuff, and it's all quite expensive when you can find it in the US. I hope to make a similar trip to Brazil someday.

12. Cokelike-

I hope you make it too and that my thread here gives you some ideas on where to go. Who are your favorites?

mantis4tons and Crimson Witch like this.
  13. Cokelike-

Bump in honor of Brazil's 2-0 win over Serbia!

14. Cokelike-

Bump in honor of Brazil's 2-0 win over Mexico!

15. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Rapaz, eu acabei de descobrir umas 56 lojas nesse post, só em Sampa! ahahaha
    Só fui na Baratos Afins até agora, vou ter que dar uma descoberta nas outras próxima vez que eu estiver por lá...

16. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

@Cokelike-

estes são emocionantes de ver!
    :)

thrilling ! .. thank you for sharing

obrigado por compartilhar !

Cokelike- likes this.
  17. Cokelike-

De nada, feliz que você gostou!

18. Cokelike-

Deixe-me saber quais lojas você visita. :)

Dr. Robert likes this.
  19. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I could never go into a record store in Brasil. I would immediately get nauseous at the thought of all the LPs I would have to leave behind.

20. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Great thread, great pics. Thank you for sharing!

Cokelike- likes this.
  21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I have a copy of that Beatles 'boot-leg'!

Cokelike- likes this.
  22. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

I knew Janis had to appear on one of those pictures (Pearl on the wall) lol thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the pics & info.

Cokelike- likes this.
  23. Cokelike-

You speak the truth.

Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  24. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

How do you even begin? I'm guessing you prioritize around titles that are harder to find or have not been reissued on CD?

phillyal1 and Cokelike- like this.
  25. Cokelike-

For my last trip I made a list of about 70 titles I was interested in. Some things I'd heard on YouTube, some things I'd read about, some that are MPB classics, etc. I referred back to my list often, but also knowing that I would likely not be able to find and afford all of them. In the end, I did bring back 14 titles that I had on my list, which is pretty good I think, considering I didn't go to Cel-Som, Chico e Zico, Tony's Hits and the other places where I likely would've found everything on my list. I'm especially happy with the Novos Baianos, Clube de Esquina, the Gal Costa, the Elis Regina and the Vanusa.

ShockControl likes this.