DCC Archive The religion of "Tube-osity" has a new convert...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

...and it's me!!!

I haven't taken delivery on it yet, but I held my nose, took a dive and picked up an ST-70. I have to say that I'm excited, but I'm still a little uncertain of what I've let myself in for... :)

Actually, I was going to save up and get a Marantz 8B, but I thought it might be wiser to get my feet wet with the ST-70, first.

And, since I don't have a pre-amp ready, it'll be a while before everything is up and running. I'm seriously considering ordering a Foreplay (talk about taking a plunge-- I haven't picked up a soldering iron since Nixon was president... and the results weren't pretty **then**), but I'm wondering how that will mesh with the Dynaco, and indeed with my dream upgrade, the 8B.

Anyone got any salient words of wisdom?

-Kevin

(And by the way, folks, I have all of you to thank for my conversion-- in particlular, Sckott for his constant encouragement to other new tube disciples; and of course, the Reverend Steve for making me want to get even closer to the sound that he hears when he's working his magic. Thanks to all!!) :D

[ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: Joel Cairo ]

2. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

I paired a foreplay with the ST-70 and the results were pretty amazing. To think that I could spend less than $500 and fire up my old Polk 10B's and get a sound like that.
    You also may want to look into a Dynaco PAS-2 (or 3 for that matter). Very cheap and very good compliment to the ST-70. Also, the PAS-2 has a phono stage. The Foreplsy doesn't.
    Good luck with the ST-70. I've had 2 over the years and liked them both. They each sounded somewhat different from each other so I assume there is a wide variety of sound you'll get from it based on the year, and possibly, the way it was assembled.
    Nonetheless, they're a fun piece to own.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Can't say more than what's already said. Foreplay is coming for me, and I'm paring it with one of my ST-70's for the new furnished basement coming here.

My history with ST-70s,
    I bought one for $470 unmodded in decent shape, pitty the Ebayer didn't have any respect for sensitive glass components, or he wouldn't have shipped the unit sloppy with the tubes IN the unit. All of the tubes were original Mullards, only 1/2 survived. I almost cried.

I bought another for $80 (w/shipping) and the only problem was that the previous owner didn't respect the unit by giving it better tubes. The Ruby rectifier busted 3 fuses, the cheap Teslas gased out. This unit was modified with the Sound Valves upgrade board. I put all Russian tubes in it, and polished it (as is the other one) with chrome polish. It stands as the better sounding ST-70, in many cases. I love it. That purchase made up for the fact of the one I bought for full price.

They're fun, simple, very tweekable amps to own with a lot of honesty and warmth. They're strong, dependable (with GOOD tubes) and very senstitive, sonically.

Good luck with it. As long as you respect the unit and give it good tubes, it will last quite a lot longer than you'll expect, even the can capacitor (believe it or not).

Make sure you prowl the net for info on the ST-70, print it, read what people have to say on upgrades and tubes. There's enough reading material easilly had, including the original ST-70 manual in Acrobat form.

One simple thing; make sure the hookup wire is in good shape, if not, get some really strong hookup wire and keep the soldering iron at bay....

If you can't afford Mullards, Telefunken or Simeins, Sovteks will NOT let you down. I'm using Eletro-Harmonix now in the modded one. Been waiting to pair a Foreplay and a ST-70 for quite a while now. Patience, patience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.