The remix is so good I can’t listen to the original anymore. Any examples?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I agree and would include Lennon's Rock 'n Roll album. In these three cases, I'll always reach for the remixes first.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

"Songs For Beginners" by Graham Nash.

Craig Williams likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, you might look further into those boxes, because Wilson has included his own remixes of the stereo originals therin.

That said, indeed 5.1 remixes to accomodate 5.1 systems are definitely a different animal, and one might consider a whole 'nother thread, comparing a newer 5.1 remix...to an earlier quad remix of the same material...?

GLYNSTYLER likes this.
  4. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

:righton: It’s also track 11 on my Made in Germany disc. And I own the CD single. :cheers:

And I loved how it inspired them. I think Walking Wounded and Temperamental are their best albums, and they make heavily use of the Todd Terry’s Missing “template”.

D.B. and c-eling like this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

ZZ Top - Six Pack remixes. They updated the old sounding 70s albums for a new generation in the 80s.

Only kidding!!

6. robw

robw Forum Resident

Don't know if annayone over here wil like this but this remix of the hanging so much is so good, wil never play the Original again .

7. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Dionne Warwick Anthology

kronning and GLYNSTYLER like this.
  8. robw

robw Forum Resident

9. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Rock 'n' Roll was by far the greatest improvement in that remix series to me. Then probably Mind Games, even with the the few oversights, the fuller sound and being actually wider stereo makes it my preferred version. The POB and Imagine albums were the ones I thought least needed the remix, so the originals do fine for me on those.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Strangely enough I have owned two LP's of DOFP - one I bought in 1978, the other in or around 2007 (80's repress) and both were the original mix. I thought the 80's LP was the remix until I heard the CD!

bhazen likes this.
  11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

D'oh!! Forgot these -- I have Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Mind Games, all remixed and are my go-to Lennon discs. Marvelous, to my ears.

ARod, D.B., Lost In The Flood and 3 others like this.
  12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I remember listening to this recently and I agree about how much better it sounded, but isn't this the one where they recorded new parts and inserted them into one of the four main tracks? I'm afraid that it killed it for me.

13. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

The B-52's "Party Mix" remixes, and lots of the New Order remixes... particularly "The Perfect Kiss" and "Sub-Culture".

breakingglass, Maurice, Yost and 2 others like this.
  14. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

It's already out--I pre-ordered mine and got it last Friday. I'm glad to now have a better sounding version of the original on CD.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    bhazen likes this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Yes, there's THAT one...BUT, it was first 'cleaned-up' on the Euro-Ralph CD!

mr.datsun likes this.
  16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Thankfully, not! That album has a great mix

17. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I can’t stand the Pearl Jam Ten remix, it sounds sterile and the mastering is just bloody rude, destroyed the life of the material with both the remix and the redux and the vinyl sounds just as slammed, what a shame.

ARK and canonlon like this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

So the Euro-Ralph is the one to get? Maybe you told me this before but I never followed it through...

19. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

The only instance I can think of is Days of Future Passed. I'm aware of the bits the remix is missing, but to me these are very small potatoes in comparison to the buried, muffled lead vocals on most of the tracks on the original mix. I do think the orchestra sounds better on the original mix, but the way the lead vocals sound just ruins it for me (n.b.: I grew up with the remix, so hearing the original mix was rather jarring).

In all other instances, I've always preferred the original mixes. (Actually, another exception might be Steve's remixes of Nat King Cole, but they don't make the originals unlistenable).

Shaddam IV likes this.
  20. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

I’ll take the Iggy mix of Raw Power over the Bowie, but the mastering is a little harsh.

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn.
    Though, honestly, I got to know this album through Oldfield's 2010 stereo mix first and then I checked out the older mixes (original stereo 1975 and quad 1976). IMO the latest mix sounds perfect.
    Oh, and same with Hergest Ridge! While I still prefer the original 1973 stereo mix of Tubular Bells.

22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I bought the Imagine CD back in 2001 but for a while I didn't realize it was a remix! Agree it sounds great. Oh, and I better should check out the Mind Games 2000 remix soon.

23. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I wouldn't go so far as to say I can't listen to the original anymore, but I think the 2012 "Mix/Master" remix of Massive Attack's 1991 debut Blue Lines is just fantastic. I would never get rid of my original version, but the Mix/Master remix is the one I listen to 90% of the time.

D.B. likes this.
  24. I like the Chicago II remix, Skylarking.

Mind Games clears up the sonic murk.

25. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Ya mind games is good too. The remixes let the instruments breathe, especially on the Spector stuff.

D.B., vonwegen, Shaddam IV and 3 others like this.